Toyota Nation Forum banner

1999 Camry 2.2L Harmonic balancer ?

4970 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  BMR
So I'm changing the water pump off my 99 Camry, over heating and this was diagnosed as the issue. When I get the harmonic balancer, the bolt was on there pretty good. Had to buy ridgid 1/2 impact wrench to get that sucker off. In the process, my cam and balancer markers got unaligned. How would I go about fixing this?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
563 Posts
If the issue is what I think it means... partially install the lower cover so you can use the timing markers. place the harmonic balancer on the shaft but do not seat or install the bolt. Turn balance wheel to "0". Use a marker and place a reference line somewhere you can line up the balancer with. Gently remove the balance and lower cover and place additional alignment marks with the marker on the front of the engine so you can see if the wheel has moved. If you are not sure you have it correct you can always put the lower cover back in place and slide on the balancer to check it is on zero. The top is just turn the cam till the marks line up. Hope that wasn't confusing.

· Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,400 Posts
So I'm changing the water pump off my 99 Camry, over heating and this was diagnosed as the issue. When I get the harmonic balancer, the bolt was on there pretty good. Had to buy ridgid 1/2 impact wrench to get that sucker off. In the process, my cam and balancer markers got unaligned. How would I go about fixing this?
I don't think you need to worry at all. Just take everything and reinstall. The job is easy on Camry. You don't need to try to keep everything the same. You don't need to keep track of anything. No need to make old belt at all. I did this two years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,478 Posts
You talking about the crank harmonic balancer? It has a notch and only goes on one way. I just had to replace mine today because it fell apart.

· Grenaded piston
6,617 Posts
Behind the lower timing belt cover. Look for a notch on the gear (timing belt goes around it) and mark on the oil pump. It should be lined up like the picture below.

Temporarily install the harmonic balancer bolt, so that you can turn the crank to line it up.

Hole in the cam gear lined up with notch in the bearing cap. Use a wrench on the cam gear bolt to turn it, till it's lined up like in the picture below.

To make the notch, mark, etc.. easier to see I like to color it in with white out or a paint marker.

Install timing belt, keeping the slack on the left side.

Install timing belt tensioner, spring, etc.. torque bolt to spec.

Rotate crank clockwise 720 degrees (2 full turns) and check alignment of crank and cam. If alignment checks out reinstall timing belt covers and harmonic balancer.

Don't listen to the person that said you can install it however. They don't know what the hell they talking about. :rolleyes:

· Registered
563 Posts
Behind the lower timing belt cover. Look for a notch on the gear (timing belt goes around it) and mark on the oil pump. It should be lined up like the picture below.

Temporarily install the harmonic balancer bolt, so that you can turn the crank to line it up.

25 years I've been doing timing belts on Camrys and I never knew about that crank mark or saw it. Learn something new everyday. Good tip, thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome!! Just to clarify guys, so it looks like my tensioner pulley was loosened before the harmonic balancer was removed. So I’m guessing that’s why the notches don’t all line up between the cam and crank. Alright, so if the cam and crank are not aligned, I can aligned the crankshaft gear (without the Harmonic balancer attached just yet) notch with mark on the oil pump. Then lined up the cam, all without the belt attached and things moving simultaneously, until the cam is lined up with the notch in the bearing cap. Finally attach the timing belt and tensioner pulley, tighten to spec. And give the crank and good turn and few times to double check it’s alignment. AND I SHOULD BE GOOD???

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my tensioner pulley was loosen without me realizing and when I went to remove the harmonic balancer the cam and balancer (crankshaft) got misaligned. Now I have the timing belt off and the harmonic balancer off. I went to change the water pump (that’s done) but now I gotta put everything back. I noticed the cam and crank aren’t aligned, so how would I go about fixing this? I’m trying to triple check everything since this is my first time working on a car.

· Grenaded piston
6,617 Posts
Awesome!! Just to clarify guys, so it looks like my tensioner pulley was loosened before the harmonic balancer was removed. So I’m guessing that’s why the notches don’t all line up between the cam and crank.
That has nothing to do with it. When you shut off an engine, it just stops where ever, so don't expect the timing marks to line up.

For the rest of your questions, the answer is yes. Refer to my previous post.

· Premium Member
1991 Corolla DLX 4AFE, 1994 Camry LE 5SFE, 1995 Avalon XLS 1MZFE, 2004 Sienna XLE/LTD, 2011 Camry LE
1,573 Posts
Remove the spark plugs, and assuming you have the 5S-FE 4 cylinder, with the timing belt off, rotate the crank until the #1 cylinder is at TDC and that the timing marks on the block and the crank pulley are perfectly aligned. ONLY turn in the clockwise direction. This is a non-interference engine so you should be ok turning the CAMSHAFT and the CRANKSHAFT independently of each other. Then turn the camshaft clockwise to align the mark on the head and the hole in the camshaft sprocket. Use a mirror to check this as you can not get a good alignment by trying to look at it from the passenger side fender. Once they are both aligned, install your timing belt. REMEMBER only turn the engine in the clockwise direction as viewed from the passenger side fender (right wheel well). The correct head mark is the one towards the top of the cylinder head and NOT the one at the 10 o'clock position. If this is your first time working on an engine you might want to seek some experienced help. If you don't get this perfect, you're engine won't run [correctly] if at all. Don't forget to reinstall your spark plugs. Once the timing belt and all the components are installed and you have the crank dampner installed you can start the engine and make sure you have it all put back together correctly. The A/C belt, power steering and alternator belt and timing belt covers don't need to be on to do this. Don't run for more than a minute or so to verify proper operation, then put everything back together.

· Grenaded piston
6,617 Posts
Don't know why he created another thread.

Previous thread on same subject:

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
OP’s threads have been merged.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.