Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I just got home after getting some pizza. On the way back the car started misfiring, running on 3 cylinders. I came home and found out it was cylinder no 3. Took the spark plug wire out while running and when I did that to cylinder number 3, the stall continued the same.

So I changed that plug and still the same problem.

ALSO, THERE WAS PRACTICALLY NO OIL IN THE CAR. It burns oil but I usually top up and the low oil light did not turn on or anything. I filled it up with oil.

Can anyone help here on what to do? Could the engine be bad? If not where do I troubleshoot this. Not a good time of the year to be without a car in Western NY.

thx

·
Registered
418 Posts
You changed the plug but did you change the plug wire? If you have a timing light put it on the #3 wire to check for current.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
No didn't change the wire. I pulled it out while the car was running and could hear the sparking from the plug boot on both the cylinder and coil end. The old plug was in good shape as well. If it wasn't that cold outside I would go and switch the coils around to see if it isn't the coil.

Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
I pulled it out while the car was running and could hear the sparking from the plug boot on both the cylinder and coil end.
This makes me think the plug wire is bad. How old are they, in miles and years?

This engine does NOT like being run low on oil. Keep a better eye on it before it gets seriously damaged.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
There is not much to the ignition on these. That said, new plugs AND new wires are in order. Wires can leak voltage as well as become open, where they won't pass any current. Just hearing a spark won't tell much, because a leaky wire will sound just like a good one. Change the wire.

Too, you mentioned a "low oil light". These cars do NOT have a "low oil light", they have a low oil PRESSURE light, which is a vastly different thing. As BMR says, don't let these cars run low on oil (or any car, really). However, my own car was run so low that there was 1/2 qt of oil in it. Having loaned Goldilocks out to my daughter, then my son-in-law (two different families), I didn't check inbetween, and neither did they (I've had the Oil Talk with both, now). So, Goldie now rattles for 1/2 second on cold start, and a bit on high revs. Still, that episode was a year back, and she's still running the same, though I have purchased another 5SFE to rebuild.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello
I was out there in the cold. I swapped the ignition coils and swapped the no 3 & 2 wires and still cylinder 3 is misfiring. I get a P0303 code.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello
How is it bad? I swapped that wire with the plug from no 2 and still that cylinder is misfiring.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
Then the plug is bad. I missed that you swapped wires, because generally the wires are too specific on these to easily swap them.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
There are not that many things to go wrong. Usually I would guess fuel injector. But given that you have run low on oil, don't you want to check compression now?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are not that many things to go wrong. Usually I would guess fuel injector. But given that you have run low on oil, don't you want to check compression now?
I'm just hoping its not the engine. The low oil light didn't come on and it didn't overheat or knock or anything.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
Let us just back up a bit. A four stroke engine needs three things to run: fuel, spark, and compression. You've eliminated spark as the trouble, now it's on to compression and fuel.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
...now it's on to compression and fuel.
I agree. After being run that low on oil, it may have a compression problem. Most auto parts stores have a "free" loaner, where you put down a deposit equal to the cost. If you return it, they refund your money.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
If it's not spark then maybe its fuel. Check the wiring and connector around the fuel injector and maybe, if you can, swap injectors to see if something changes. Maybe a clogged injector? The lone code makes me believe it is a localized problem.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
795 Posts
Have you tried swapping #3 plug with another one? A plug can look fine but have a crack in the porcelain that allows the spark to go to ground.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
If it's not spark then maybe its fuel. Check the wiring and connector around the fuel injector and maybe, if you can, swap injectors to see if something changes. Maybe a clogged injector?
This too. Fuel injectors on these rarely fail, but it's worth checking. First check resistance, which should be ~16 ohms. Then listen to it for clicking while it's running, using a long screwdriver or such as a stethoscope. If all that checks out, then try swapping #3's injector with another cylinder, and see if the misfire goes with the suspect injector.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts