Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a solid 1999 V6 Camry for a daily driver. It is an awesome car I can always rely on, but I have finally decided to face one problem it has - the front and rear dome lights do not work. No fuses are blown, and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this car. I’m no electrician so I’m not sure if this would be an easy fix or one that would require tearing apart the vehicle for hundreds of $ which wouldn’t be worth it. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! I’m tired of trying to use my phone flashlight to see in my car during the night. Note: all dash and dial lighting works, for the most part, only the 2 dome lights are completely dead, no voltage at all.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
925 Posts
Possibly the door switches. You might try pulling back the rubber cover then loosen and retightened the bolt. Worked for me temporarily. Replacement was the permanent fix.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
541 Posts
If it is the driver's door switch the lights will work with another door. Try new bulbs, too. The wiring on these is pretty damn reliable.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly the door switches. You might try pulling back the rubber cover then loosen and retightened the bolt. Worked for me temporarily. Replacement was the permanent fix.
If it is the driver's door switch the lights will work with another door. Try new bulbs, too. The wiring on these is pretty damn reliable.
Both of my dome lights won’t even turn on when switched to the “on” position, not just the “door” position. My dome light has 3 switch positions, off, on, and door. I can understand how a faulty door switch wouldn’t allow it to light up when on the door position, but the “on” position has nothing to do with the door switch, right? It should just stay lit on the “on” position, for which both the dome lights aren’t doing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I swear I remember my door being open or closed and not affecting the dome light being on. I’m sorry that this is long, I tried to describe my issue in full detail to prevent confusion and to clear things up, and thank you I deeply appreciate the time you both are putting in!!

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Btw, the fuses I checked were behind a coin box, where your left leg is in the drivers seat. They were 15-amp if I remember right.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,991 Posts
I believe there is a DOME fuse. Not sure if it's under the hood or in the kick side of the driver panel.

You should be getting it to turn on in the 'ON' position, unless there is no voltage across these two pins in the roof.

Might need to trace the wiring going from the roof to the a-pillar. The last pic is where the harness that runs from the box to the roof for the dome light and map lights (for models with visor lights and or moonroof)

·
Registered
1999 Solara SLE, V6, 353,000 miles
170 Posts
I had to take mine down and pull it apart. The slider mechanism makes contact with a printed circuit board of sorts. The board was filmed over with years of what ever it was. basically took a screw driver to clear it away. works like a champ now. kind of hard to get apart w/o breaking it. be careful.

before going thru all this, make sure you are getting power to the switch. if so, then good chance this is your problem. i found a youtube video on it, so others have this issue.

Reactions: COLTON_CJF

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there is a DOME fuse. Not sure if it's under the hood or in the kick side of the driver panel.

You should be getting it to turn on in the 'ON' position, unless there is no voltage across these two pins in the roof.

Might need to trace the wiring going from the roof to the a-pillar. The last pic is where the harness that runs from the box to the roof for the dome light and map lights (for models with visor lights and or moonroof)
Yep! You were right. I thought there was only one fuse box, should’ve actually searched under the hood before. Well I feel like an idiot taking up everyone’s time saying I checked all the fuses, but that’s that I guess. Thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts