Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been fighting this code for about 2 months. The first time it happened I was coming to a stop at a light, didn't happen for a few weeks after that. 2 weeks later it happened again, I got it home, but it struggled to start until I let it sit for a bit. So I decided to source a used ECU, swapped it out, car ran fine for two weeks, then it happened again. I decided to clean the ignition coil connectors, seemed to help for a week or so. Started doing it again, very intermittently. So I decided to clean the ecu connectors, seemed to help. But today it did it again. It mostly happens when I am coming to a stop. But it always starts right back up and may not do it again my whole commute home(About 12miles lots of red lights). In the past I have replaced both coils. One thing to note the car does seem to idle lower than it did before once it gets warm, wouldn't think that would have any connection(most likely IAC needs cleaned). Kinda at wits end with the old girl. I have the old coil so i'm gonna try to swap that back in tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with this. I've never been hesitant to drive the car, but when that code kicks in the car has no choice but to die because the ecu cuts fuel. Any info on ground locations that I should check, or really any info at all would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
Looked at my FSM and a little Goggle search to refresh my understanding. My 95 works on the same principle. The signals that control the coils also control the injectors. The ECU sends a primary 12v voltage to the coil primary that will fire the coil when it is shut off (secondary spark firing), then a confirmation signal is sent to the ECU to tell it there is ignition. If no confirmation signal and firing signal then the injector firing is cut off.

You probably know all of this, but the intermittent nature makes it frustrating. If both the primary and confirmation signal is there then it's the coil - or a bad connection. Watching those signals is best done with an oscilloscope by back probing the connector. To me, the random fault is probably a connection.

I think your best back yard attempt would be to replace the coils given you won't have an oscilloscope, and as you have done, check connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yea that was my next step, forgot I had the original coil in the trunk through all of this. I'm gonna throw it back in tomorrow and see how it goes. Just find it hard to believe it is a short in the wiring somewhere. Because it runs so good the majority of the time, and starts right back up. This car does have 325k miles, so maybe one of the wires going into the connector is loose from all the road time. I've had it for 10 years and bought it at 227k. Been such a good car, not ready to give up on it.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
Some times the connector pins need to be cycled a few times to make sure there is no corrosion hindering contact. You can buy electrical contact cleaner as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i've been using maf sensor cleaner since I had it on hand. Really hoping it's the coil. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've replaced the coil with the old original one, made it home with no incidents, drove it again today no p1300. Also had a friend pick up a new throttle body from pull a part, threw that in after cleaning it, idle is back to normal, driving like it did when I first got it if not better. Not sure if it was the old IAC or Throttle position sensor, or just the throttle body being dirty, but it's running great now. Hopefully the p1300 code is gone for good. Gonna throw a new valve cover gasket on tomorrow, and try to replace the egr and vsv to get rid of the p0401. After that on to the fuel filter and may start tackling the old suspension components. Long live the Camry!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts