Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... Couple quick questions.

My Camry just hit 140,000 miles and and I want to drive it till the wheels fall off. I want to make sure I am doing all that I can to make it last. I bought the car with 56K on it and the only maintenance I have ever done to it (other than oil changes, brakes) is I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 95K. Other than that, I have done nothing and I think I should be doing something. I doubt the coolant been replaced so that needs to be done I think. Also, what about the transmission fluid? I don't see it mentioned in the maintenance schedule except if I were towing. Also, anything else I need to have replaced at this time or need to keep a close eye on? I assume also when I get to around 180K - 190K I will do the timing belt, water pump again..... Thanks for the help!

Also one other quick question.... My headlights are all fogged up, I guess I mean the covers. Is there a way to clean these or are they fairly cheap and easy to replace?

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t157459.html Here is a thread on cleaning the headlights.

As for the maintenance - the trans fluid and coolant are probably a pretty good idea. I usually clean the throttle body, check the brake pads, and check out the dust boots on the CV joints and call it a day.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
it seems like you answered your own questions really.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/owners.php
check that site out for ideas.

As your car gets older, treat it as if you were towing.

headlights, they arent AWEFULLY expensive to replace and they're not that difficult to replace either.
Find DEPOT headlights online, they are a great oem replacement. Fogged headlights are dangerous, which is why i replaced mine.
There ARE various headlight clearing applications you can find at auto stores or even at wal-mart (i saw one brand at my wal-mart). They are about 20 bucks, but i cannot say they work or not as i've never bought one. People here have done things like wet sanding and polishing to help.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I tried using the headlight polish to clear up the lens, but it didnt do a damn thing. Thats why I just bought new headlights.

·
Registered
1999 Camry LE
106 Posts
geoff5093 said:
I tried using the headlight polish to clear up the lens, but it didnt do a damn thing. Thats why I just bought new headlights.
x2

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,974 Posts
Tranny Fluid
Coolant
Check Air Filter
Check Front suspension (boots, joints, make sure your tie rod is still good, and so on)
Check and maybe change/flush the brake fluid if needed
Throttle Body maybe should be cleaned if you haven't done it and your gas pedal is sticky
Change spark plugs if you haven't yet
Check all belts and hoses- if you haven't changed the accessory belt or any of the hoses you may want to do that soon if required.
Check power steering fluid
Check brake pads

It seems like a lot, but most of it was supposed to be done a while ago- and might need service.

I've seen a replacement pair of Camry headlights 97-99 on Ebay for like 50 bucks, so it might be easier to replace them rather than clean them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98CamryLE said:
Tranny Fluid
Coolant
Check Air Filter
Check Front suspension (boots, joints, make sure your tie rod is still good, and so on)
Check and maybe change/flush the brake fluid if needed
Throttle Body maybe should be cleaned if you haven't done it and your gas pedal is sticky
Change spark plugs if you haven't yet
Check all belts and hoses- if you haven't changed the accessory belt or any of the hoses you may want to do that soon if required.
Check power steering fluid
Check brake pads

It seems like a lot, but most of it was supposed to be done a while ago- and might need service.

I've seen a replacement pair of Camry headlights 97-99 on Ebay for like 50 bucks, so it might be easier to replace them rather than clean them.

So cleaning the throttle body would clear up my sticky gas pedal.... Cool, that has been going on a bit more lately, just never had it checked out.

Thanks for all the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts