Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Camry Power Removing Window switch works in reverse?
===============================================

Thanks for weighing in to my threads.

Ok this is weird. I replaced my power window regulator in the rear door. Now the right rear power window switch works in reverse.
I push the switch to raise the window and it goes down. I push the switch to the down position and the window goes up.

Anyone had this happen?

Sounds like the new motor is wired in reverse.

It is a small plug. I do not want to break it during this wire removal. I did not find any YoueTube Videos to show this.

How can I pull the terminals out of the plug and swap them?

Thanks for sharing. steps/Videos.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Just to be clear, it’s the new regulator that’s working in reverse? Yes, I had that happen. You can either cut and swap the wires on the new regulator, or pull the contacts out of the housing and swap them. They have a locking barb on them that you have to push aside.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be clear, it’s the new regulator that’s working in reverse? Yes, I had that happen. You can either cut and swap the wires on the new regulator, or pull the contacts out of the housing and swap them. They have a locking barb on them that you have to push aside.
it’s the new regulator that’s working in reverse? == YES

"pull the contacts out of the housing and swap them. They have a locking barb on them that you have to push aside."

Where is this locking barb located ? Is it at the wire end or PIN end?

How do I unlock this locking barb ?

Are there any videos/step for this ?

Thanks for your guidance/help.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
The locking barb design varies by connector. And it's been a while since I've looked at one of these, so I don't remember the specifics of this one. If you look at it closely, you should be able to figure out. If not, post some pics and we can probably see how to do it.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,362 Posts
Meanwhile, this video shows how to remove single wires from a few types of automotive connectors using a T-pin:

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Both of those pics are too blurry to see anything.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for reviewing my threads. After seeing the posted video, I tried to de-pin from connector using paper clips, toothpick . No luck. I am posting better photos to get your guidance.

Thanks for helping.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,362 Posts
Sorry, these are still too blurry. The clips or protrusions or whatever is used to retain each wire are tiny -- so tiny that I doubt that most phone cameras will capture them. If you don't have a digital camera, try flooding the connector with as much light as possible and maybe place a bit of a product label or cardboard, something with a large letter T or other squared-off letter (Y, E, H, V, etc.), beneath the connector, to give the autofocus something contrasty and sharp to grab onto.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
I suspect this little hatch snaps or lifts out somehow to release the contacts.

Now I have a craving for M&M’s.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,148 Posts
x2, make sure there isn't a plastic lock on the housing first

Then, pushing the little metal tangs to release the terminals from the housing can drive you crazy, until you get one, and then the rest will seem really easy, I use a jewelers screwdriver, one that looks like a pin, is much more stiff than a paperclip and ends in a "-" shape

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for weighing in.

x2, make sure there isn't a plastic lock on the housing first

Then, pushing the little metal tangs to release the terminals from the housing can drive you crazy, until you get one, and then the rest will seem really easy, I use a jewelers screwdriver, one that looks like a pin, is much more stiff than a paperclip and ends in a "-" shape
make sure there isn't a plastic lock on the housing first ==> What do you mean? How do I make sure ? Do you see that in posted pictures?

pushing the little metal tangs to release the terminals from the housing can drive you crazy ==> YES, It is driving me crazy. Where can I see the metal tags? Is it on the back or front of the housing?

Do I need to push or pull these metal tags? I do not want to damage/mess-up the housing. It will be another crazy situation.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
ANY toyota electrical connector I've ever looked at uses dual-locking system for pins. No exceptions. There's the usual tab that locks the pin, and there's a secondary lock that usually locks all pins at once.
In this case, the pic BMR posted shows the secondary lock. Stick a pointy metal pin or tiny flat screwdriver into either of the two square holes towards the connector side (not wire side), any it will easily pop up about 2mm and release the secondary lock. Like I said, EVERY Toyota OEM connector (most OEMs for that matter) has some kind of a secondary lock for pins, and you absolutely CANNOT remove the pins without releasing it.
2019-10-01 11.26.42.jpg
Now all you have is a primary lock, which is a plastic tab against the tab on the metal pin. Ideally, you would use a proper extraction tool, like this:

You don't have to get this $60 dollar one, but that the right tool for the job. I got a Toyota OEM one on eBay that is like that for $15 a while back. I thought it was a complete ripoff at that time, but that tool has proven to be the best in my arsenal or pin removal tools, on Toyota's at least. Cheap Chinese knockoffs are made of cheap metal and will bend, and are generally crap I hardly use.

Anyway, here's what the pin looks like in the housing next to an empty slot - you cal clearly see the white locking tab above the pin:
2019-10-01 11.29.20.jpg
You have to gently pry up on that white plastic tab with your tool of choice (a needle will do in a pinch), and the pin easily pulls out back. Don't accidentally slam the secondary lock shut as you're practicing your tab prying skills, or the pin will not budge.
2019-10-01 11.28.38.jpg

Switch sides, stick pins back in and lock the secondary tab, and you're done. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
...Or, he could cut and swap the two wires.

Reactions: John Anthony

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
...Or, he could cut and swap the two wires.
Sure, if you like to do things the hard way. Like I said, you don't have to have a proper $60 de-pin tool, all of this can be easily accomplished in 30 seconds with a needle pin, and you retain factory connection. It took me much longer to line up that connector in focus for pictures than it was to de-pin and re-pin it in my post above.

I've depinned dozens of connectors for repair and other purposes (for example, AC and Cruise Control delete in my Celica race car), and it's much easier with the right tool, and the connector does not get damaged at all. You'll leave marks with a pin, but that's inconsequential in this situation where it'll be done one time.

·
ToyotaRIMD
Camry 1999,
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@slavie

Thanks for weighing in and sharing hidden Toyota's Double lock mechanism. As you are well versed with Toyota's connectors/terminals, you can make a YouTube videos show Toyota's hidden features of Connectors and delinking terminals from them.

I did not see about this double lock connector handling on YouTube.

Post it in TN as tutorial with your YouTube. It will help many.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,148 Posts
I found that via google. The hard thing is coming up with the correct word combination so that's what you get from the search, though (hit and miss). But it is amazing how much info is out there (and the more you find the easier it becomes to get the search words right).

That guide was included in every Toyota factory shop manual through the years, in the electrical section.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts