1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ToyotaRIMD
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Camry US built vs Japan built?
===================================

Thanks for weighing in to my threads.

I am looking to pick some body parts for my US Built 1999 Camry. I find a Japan Built 1999 Camry sitting at LKQ PnP .

I am looking to pick Trunk Lid/Trunk Weather Seal , bumper support etc.

Will the above body parts fro Japan Built 1999 Camry fit for US Built 1999 Camry ?

What are the other parts from 1999 Camry Japan Built Camry parts not the same as US Built one?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
There is little reason why they would not work. If you want to really confirm, look at a Toyota Parts Diagram and you will get most of your answer's there in addition to looking at Rock Auto and seeing whether or not they have US, JP, or only US, or only JP because if it only fits either US or JP then it most likely fits both. If you can see the vehicle, then compare it to yours.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Yes, correct there are some differences of parts and systems depending on where Camry's are made and this is critical.

I can only say what differences there is for my GEN3 for example as I am not that familiar with the GEN4.

1. GEN3: Alternator came with a 70-Amp Alternator (JAPAN) while the USA Camry came with a 80-AMP.
2. GEN3: A/C Controls and dials of same size and push button for JAPAN (XLE) and for USA has Temp slider with dissimilar size control dials.
3. GEN3: The Transmission Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) is totally different between the Japanese and USA models (I should know!).
4. GEN3: The CLOCK REEL and Electrical Harness are Totally different between the Japanese and USA models (I should know!).

The above is just a "SMALL" example of what I experienced while keeping my Japanese 1992 Camry on the road and searching for parts at the Salvage yards!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
It is interesting that you've found so many differences, because, as a rule, the parts are overwhelmingly designed to be interchangeable, both for manufacturing flexibility (ability to shift sourcing as volume / service needs occur), and for design simplicity (one design is easier to make than two).

For the majority of the parts on a Gen3, the local supply has long since dried up and been replaced, for efficiency by the equivalent JPN part number, when ordering from the dealer.

However, it is totally true that within sub-assemblies, like a steering column head (which includes smaller parts like the airbag clock reel and harness), or an HVAC control unit (buttons/knobs), which are not handled as individual parts during the manufacture, or planned to be individually handled by anyone other than the original maker, for during normal servicing (like, during the 1st 100k miles/10 years), they will have differences due to each supplier's own internal standardizations. In those cases, the service part would be the whole sub-assy so the internal uniquenesses wouldn't normally show up.

The alternator difference (I know from personal experience of what guapoman speaks!) is kind of unique, in that having that difference also required the mating harnesses connector to also be unique for the plant. IIRC, it was commonized by '93 or '94.

OP, regarding body parts, especially ones planned to be replaced often due to normal low speed impact, the parts were designed to all be interchangeable. The paint shade might not match exactly, but of course the fading due to sun exposure and weathering is probably far more than that by now anyway.

Norm

·
1,758 Posts
It is interesting that you've found so many differences, because, as a rule, the parts are overwhelmingly designed to be interchangeable, both for manufacturing flexibility (ability to shift sourcing as volume / service needs occur), and for design simplicity (one design is easier to make than two).

For the majority of the parts on a Gen3, the local supply has long since dried up and been replaced, for efficiency by the equivalent JPN part number, when ordering from the dealer.

However, it is totally true that within sub-assemblies, like a steering column head (which includes smaller parts like the airbag clock reel and harness), or an HVAC control unit (buttons/knobs), which are not handled as individual parts during the manufacture, or planned to be individually handled by anyone other than the original maker, for during normal servicing (like, during the 1st 100k miles/10 years), they will have differences due to each supplier's own internal standardizations. In those cases, the service part would be the whole sub-assy so the internal uniquenesses wouldn't normally show up.

The alternator difference (I know from personal experience of what guapoman speaks!) is kind of unique, in that having that difference also required the mating harnesses connector to also be unique for the plant. IIRC, it was commonized by '93 or '94.

OP, regarding body parts, especially ones planned to be replaced often due to normal low speed impact, the parts were designed to all be interchangeable. The paint shade might not match exactly, but of course the fading due to sun exposure and weathering is probably far more than that by now anyway.

Norm
Norm,

I am very versed into the Manufacturing Engineering concepts, thank you.

I am referencing solid observations from specific items that I came across in my search for Japanese A/C interior control switch / button / dial control parts and they are differences.

The parts between the two factories (Japan & Kentucky USA) perhaps been laid out differently, especially when you note that the 1994 Camry mode known as the AMERICAN VERSION is certainly different than the Japanese model, my co-worker and Neighbor had one, it had a large decal on the front fender with "AMERICAN EDITION" so, I really don't understand your surprise reaction?:oops:

·
ToyotaRIMD
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for weighing in. I did check with Toyota Dealer by giving 1999 CamryVIN# s for Japan & US Built.

He says there are not getting/making body parts for Japan Built 1999 Camry any more.

They order US built parts for Japan built ones. It confirms the body parts are inter-changeable. He says the tail lights are not inter-changeable, because it was manufactured by different supplier.

Thanks for sharing.

·
1,758 Posts
Thanks for weighing in. I did check with Toyota Dealer by giving 1999 CamryVIN# s for Japan & US Built.

He says there are not getting/making body parts for Japan Built 1999 Camry any more.

They order US built parts for Japan built ones. It confirms the body parts are inter-changeable. He says the tail lights are not inter-changeable, because it was manufactured by different supplier.

Thanks for sharing.
As I suspected. Yes, Body parts are essentially the same. However, components that I have listed they still have them available but, I could imagine the cost if you can't find them at the Salvage yard!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Cosmo, can you tell me which parts you found weren't interchangeable? I am eager to learn.

Guapoman, I apologize, I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't believing you, the parts you described are sub-components of larger assemblies. It is pretty common for parts like those to have some differences between Toyota's suppliers. The plans is for the whole sub-assy to be replaced as a unit, so that those smaller parts differences wouldn't cause trouble.

Sometimes, swapping out the whole thing is more work, on an old car, so it is tried to break it down into the component parts to change, say, just the button in a HVAC control assy, and in that case this is the result.

As it turns out, I've worked in Toyota engineering for 30 years (just passed my anniversary this week!). Interchangeability of the parts between plants and suppliers is a mantra drilled into us. So, I was surprised to hear it said they weren't, and am interested to learn more about what was found.

Note that the origin of Toyota local manufacture in the '80s (Gen 2 Camry) was heavily influenced by the NUMMI / GM connection, so that a lot of local suppliers, at first, were from GM (Delco, and so on). Over the Gen 3 and then Gen4 Camry eras, that shifted as most of the local suppliers dropped out due to difficulty meeting quality and cost targets, and when new ones were brought in, the standardization of design tended to become easier to implement.

This year I am restoring my rusted out '93 Camry, built in TMMK, using a '92 Camry from Tsutsumi, JPN for parts. So far I've found every component to be completely interchangeable (including one strange detail of the engine wire harness which I thought was a mistake on the first one, but the second was exactly the same in spite of the harness definitely coming from a different source).

Except for the alternator difference that you'd pointed out (even the wire harness connector is different, probably to prevent mixing them up at the plant). That one surprised me when I ran across it myself, too.

Usually, parts are made purposefully different to avoid mix up ("Poka-Yoke")

Norm

·
Registered
170 Posts
This may turn into a Gemba (if I used that correctly):
While whole assemblies might interchange, this is what I have found (the cars are still here, one TMC and three TMMK):
A/C louvers, completely different (the 'sawtooth' adjuster is the key visual). FWIW, TMMK is very 'gear' like, TMC is scalloped.
Console lid, hinges and limiters.
Interlock for shifter is very different.
The whole seat might swap, but pieces are different.
Colors are different, and do not match.
If I decide to install heated seat pads, I'll find out more, I'm sure. Right now, I make sure of manufacture before I pull interior parts from the junkyard.

OTOH, I know body parts will swap, as the one TMMK that was parted out was a real Bitsa - bitsa that TMC and bitsa this TMMK. Easy to determine because the VIN is applied to body parts.

Cosmo

·
1,758 Posts
Cosmo, can you tell me which parts you found weren't interchangeable? I am eager to learn.

Guapoman, I apologize, I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't believing you, the parts you described are sub-components of larger assemblies. It is pretty common for parts like those to have some differences between Toyota's suppliers. The plans is for the whole sub-assy to be replaced as a unit, so that those smaller parts differences wouldn't cause trouble.

Norm
Norm,

No! No need to apologize to me, I was just trying to get more info from you and it seems like we both were on the same track on this issue just using different words and expressions which threw me off a bit.

Thanks for coming back and caring for my little feelings!:ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts