Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
It enters on the bottom in a cutout on the left-hand bottom right after the throttle butterfly.

It goes in facing across the bottom of the intake tube but slightly forward to help it swirl mix in with the air.

It's by the right arrow in your picture, that vacuum hose connects to the valve actuator.

·
Registered
650 Posts
EGR absolutely plays into power output for the 1MZ by virtue of lowering the frequency of pulled timing due to knock detection.

Maybe not after hitting the gas once, but get the engine hot for more than 30 seconds and you will bog down without it.
Hmm, never noticed any bogging even late in a race when we ran the stock ECU, but I guess everyone is a little different.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
Hmm, never noticed any bogging even late in a race when we ran the stock ECU, but I guess everyone is a little different.
You likely would have if you dropped under 3900 rpm if you were running stock knock sensors without any cooling mods.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK - thanks. Looks like I have been running without EGR and with no CEL for years and not known it. The plenum port for the EGR valve was completely blocked with carbon. Even after lots of cleaning, I couldn't find anywhere for the EGR gas to go. Now I know there's a blocked passage inside the plenum to bring it out near the throttle body. Any thoughts on whether it can be cleaned with the plenum installed on the car?

All this discussion was EXTREMELY valuable - I know now that if I want the EGR system to work, I will need to reinstall the EGR tube AND open up the passage somehow. My temporary arrangement in the picture should suffice for now.

Again, thanks guys - couldn't have figured it out without your expert help!!

EGR 5.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
You must have some flow if you don't get a light. There is an EGT probe near the EGR valve and the computer looks for a temperature rise when the valve is commanded open. If it doesn't see enough of a rise you will get the insufficient EGR flow code.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, I'm expecting a P0401 for insufficient EGR flow, just haven't got it yet (100+ miles).

Reason I didn't get it before with the blockage is that it is triggered by the EGT to your point. It doesn't measure FLOW, rather it measures TEMP. It was getting hot enough to prevent the code but there was still no EGR flow owing to the blockage. I hope this makes sense.

Still not sure how to clean the plenum blockage without removing the plenum. Would appreciate any ideas. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the P0401 as expected finally. See picture. It's dependent upon driving conditions as noted before.

EGR P0401.jpg

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
Yes, I'm expecting a P0401 for insufficient EGR flow, just haven't got it yet (100+ miles).

Reason I didn't get it before with the blockage is that it is triggered by the EGT to your point. It doesn't measure FLOW, rather it measures TEMP. It was getting hot enough to prevent the code but there was still no EGR flow owing to the blockage. I hope this makes sense.

Still not sure how to clean the plenum blockage without removing the plenum. Would appreciate any ideas. Again, thanks!
Best way to clean it without removing plenum will be to remove throttle body with the egr attached, remove the EGR block off plate if its attached to the intake side or just leave it if its only on the exhaust side. Then pour acetone or some other strong aluminum safe solvent into the holes with a rag stuffed in the other end to catch the nastiness that comes out. Pipe cleaners soaked in acetone work extremely well for small metal tubes too.

Make sure it's all evaporated before putting it back together.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Two good points: Acetone to dissolve the carbon deposits and pipe cleaners to access the holes.

Good news is that despite the P0401, the car runs really well - quiet 700 rpm idle and smooth acceleration.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm finally able to spend a bit of time on this EGR issue - unfortunately, I can't reach the lower 2 nuts holding the EGR tube to the EGR cooler from above I tried putting my hand down behind the engine as in the picture you guys provided, was able to feel the flange and buts, but lack the ability to reach to remove the nuts.

So my question is: If I was able to get the car on a lift, are these nuts easily accessible from below the car?

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
All the lower EGR nuts are right in your face accessable from under the car, even on jackstands.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow - spent several hours screwing around with this from above trying to figure some way to solve for this. Convinced that there's no way that I can do this from above - hats off to anyone who can. Should have asked the question first about access from below

I'm too scared of getting under the car with jackstands - I'm OK doing brakes, struts etc, but those don't involve getting under the car. Will now ask a friend to put it up on a lift and then it should be fairly straight-forward barring some major issue with the studs breaking - fingers crossed.

Thanks for the quick and very helpful response as always!

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
You're welcome

I hear ya with jack stands, it took a while to not get sketched out putting my whole body under the car.

If you have access to that lift you should be set, EGR will be sitting in your face under the rear exhaust manifold.

You may or may not need a 10mm offset box wrench or flex head wrench or flex head ratchet to break them loose from below, but that may be just the cooler tube and not the recirculation tube, because I had no room to angle my arm up in there, but with a lift I don't know if that will even be something to worry about since the recirculation tube is facing a more open area.

I bought 4 machined block off plates to place on the egr tube, egr cooler. and the header output tube for an attempt at a DIY dual throttle/acis3 plenum; the block off plates arrive in like a week so hit me up if the lift doesn't work out, and I'll try remember to take some pictures of how I access them from above. It involves basically dolphin diving into the engine bay, I may be kinda crazy :LOL:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
From your attached picture below, it looks like access to the EGR tube nuts should be straight-forward from under the car. I was able to buy a used EGR tube cheaply on eBay. Don't want to screw around with bending my tube if the used tube will fit correctly the first time.

Sometimes the smallest issue becomes a PITA. lol.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
Good call on the new tube.

The EGR record tube wasn't bad, the 2 studs you see above the manifold are for the cooling tube that connect to lower on the block, and those were a real pain.

That picture is nightmare fuel lol.

In reality I'm laying down facing the front of the car with my shoulders 6 inches behind the crossmember, can't even use a creeper it's so low so I'm on shop mats in the dirt. My arms lubed with engine oil, coconut cooking spray, sweat, and a bit of the red human juice, to snake them between the crossmember on the driver's side of the manifold, crap streaking into my eyes for hours on end even with full goggles on.

Then I'm reaching up there with a 1/2 drive ratchet with a 3" extension, connected to a u-joint,connected to a 9 inch impact extension snaked under the hydraulic lines which was connected to a 6 inch wobble extension which connected to a 3/8ths adapter which connected to that 3/8ths ujoint which finally connected to the last 6 point 14mm long socket available near me.

That was all for the single nut in the picture that the socket on. Every manifold nut was a new adventure (in hell).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow - I don't have the skills to do that type of manifold work. The Toyota service manual makes light of the EGR tube replacement - says remove the 4 nuts like it's no big deal so I assume that access from below should be ok. I'll post again with an update.

Question: why do you need to block off all the tubes to make the dual throttle? Why not block the EGR tube at the top?

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
407 Posts
The vvti 1mz throttle body has a factory installed permanent block off plate where the EGR tube would connect on the non vvti 1mzs.

Its also a wider throttle body that goes further back towards the firewall a bit so I don't think the EGR tube would fit, even without a 1/8th inch block off plate on the end.

So because I have to take out the tube I also have to block off the connection to the cooler, and since I'm already down there I'm going to block off the headers EGR output and cooler ports to remove the cooler to exhaust tube.

It's not necessary to remove the block cooling portion, but I want the space they take up, and Ill want to have the headers output blocked off so 2000 degree exhaust isn't being routed to my engine block, and whatever turbulence that adds right at the collector is somewhat negated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That makes sense - thanks. My experience of blocking off the EGR recirculation tube at the top causes the tube to remain surprisingly cool since no exhaust is really flowing "through" it.

So then I would ask why it wouldn't be simpler (other than the space issue) to remove the EGR recirculation tube and then block off the EGR cooler output where the EGR recirculation tube connects, leaving the EGR collector tube intact.

With the EGR cooler output blocked off, no exhaust will flow "through" the collector tube and it won't reach the extreme exhaust temperatures or produce any turbulence IMHO. Plus it's easier to put back together should you change your mind and want to go back to stock non vvti.

Just my 2 cents - ultimately you are clearly more knowledgeable about this.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts