Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in September of 2016 I did suspension rebuild on my 1999 Camry V6 XLE. The car had 155K miles and from what I could tell all of the suspension components were original. Now that I have about 1,000 miles on everything the ride quality is just not what I think it should be. I have no idea how these cars are supposed to ride so I expected it to be a little floaty but controlled at the same time. On the highway, it is fine and comfortable but around town, it feels anything but controlled. I live in Hutto north of Austin and the road quality is good with new roads being completed. However, when going over bumps it feels like the suspension does not react fast enough and the car feels like it is just dropping off the bump. Expansion joints on overpasses feel the same way. I feel like I bought top of the line replacement components but the results are not there. How does your car ride? Is this normal for a Camry of this generation? A complete list of all of the new components I installed is below.

Front
KYB Strut Plus units – strut/spring/top mount/bearing
Beck Arnley (B/A) lower control arms w/bushings and ball joints
B/A sway bar end links
B/A outer tie rods
MOOG steering rack gators
Driver side CV axle and seal

Rear
KYB Strut Plus units – strut/spring/top mount/bearing
B/A sway bar end links
MOOG sway bar bushings

·
Administrator
14,794 Posts
When I put new KYB struts on my Avalon (Camrys take the same KYB p/n), I found them to be a bit jarring over expansion joints and small bumps. They smoothed out a LOT after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,188 Posts
Those KYB Strut Plus are complete unit, right?

I've notice that complete strut + spring (With all other accessories) drop in tend to ride a bit harsh and rides rather high which might give a bit tippy toe feeling. Some people say it gets better as time goes on.

I personally rather keep the original springs and swap in/replace everything else around it to retain as much OEM like handling....or go straight to lowering springs which I did.

·
Administrator
14,794 Posts
Yeah, KYB Struts Plus are complete assemblies.

To be clear, I installed bare struts in my Avalon.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
One experience with Strut Plus. Strut Plus assembly has Excel-G absorber in it, as as one we replace by itself. It the rest of the parts we should question. I put this on my honda van. After a few months the right bearing leaked grease already, left was fine. As for the ride, it was harder than oem but eased over 3000 miles, as you would expect KYB to be. I had/have Excel-G on Avalon. After 2+ years already showing weak.

·
イリジウム
14,271 Posts
Look like OP installed some decent parts. So just wait the few thousand miles and see if the KYBs soften up. I never did like the harsh ride of the "Keep Your Bilsteins". But like others said, once they soften up they're alright.

My preference with aftermarket is with Gabriel Ultras. But then again, some say these don't last as long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you everyone. I will keep driving it. Once I get another 1,000 miles on everything I will report back and let everyone know if it is any better or any worse.
Hello Hardway99, How is your car doing now? We have basically the same car, sans V6 that we got from the mother in law. Had under 60K on it when we got it in January and it had not had anything done to it really except a timing belt.
The rear struts were really bad. We picked the car up in Gainesville Tx and drove it to Bastrop and the ride was very "floaty" in the back. First we replaced the rear struts with Monroe complete struts. Boy did I go from floaty to harsh! It really is hard now and several thousands of miles, same thing.
We decided to go ahead and replace the front struts. This time I bought them on RockAuto and got the Moog complete struts. It also stiffened up the front more than I would have liked but had better control. Only issue I had, about five months into it, the left strut started making a creaking/squeaking sound going over bumps and when turning. I pinpointed it to the upper mount, so I did a warranty exchange. Put the new one on, and I was a happy camper for about three days, then the new one started squeaking! Then to make matters worse, a few days later the RIGHT side started to make the same sound! I sent an email to RockAuto and they have authorized me to return both of the current ones and I can buy something else. I have been eyeing the KYB and the Gabriel struts that they carry but boy I hate to have to do this again, even though we can do one strut in about thirty minutes.
How has your ride changed if any, and do you hear any of that noise from the upper bearing/ mount? I had read somewhere that the upper part of the strut shaft fits into a groove in the upper mount, locking it in place. On both of the KYB units, I'm able to turn the center nut, which turns the entire strut. When I turn it, you can hear that blasted squeak. Sounds like rubber against metal.

Anyway wanted to see how things have gone for you. I'm still on the fence of what to order.

Thanks,

John in Bastrop TX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey John, thank you following up. I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you have had with the MOOG's. I read a lot of the same feedback on Amazon when I was trying to decide between the MOOG's vs KYB's. The KYB's have given me zero issues since I installed them and I now have over 6000 miles on them. From a ride quality standpoint they have gotten better. They have softened up a bit to give a more compliant ride. Without knowing how one of these cars handled when it was new, it is hard to tell if the KYB's are close to a factory ride or something different. One thing I have done recently is install rear camber strut bolts. A local shop was doing a once-over on the car for an un-related matter and threw it up on the rack to check the alignment. They discovered the rear had quite a bit of negative camber and they suggested installing the rear camber bolts. When I took the rear wheels off to install the bolts the tires were already so affected that if I tried to make it stand up it would immediately fall over front first. With the bolts installed I took it back for an alignment and now it is spot on. It also improved the ride a little. I have a small metal like rattle coming from the rear when I go over bumps but I believe it is the lower trailing arm bushings which appear to be somewhat common. I plan on installing some poly units to replace them when I have time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.