Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 99 Corolla CE (Auto Trans). I went one day to start it like normal. It cranks and wants to start but, just won't catch.

Note: No sound from the Fuel Pump with key at start should I hear a something?

What I have done so far:
  • I replaced the (spark-plugs and wires) last year.
  • I replaced the battery 12-2019. (It needed it)
  • Relay: I swapped the (EFI or F-HTR) and the (HORN). Nothing changed
  • Fuse: I checked the blue 15a (EFI or F-HTR). Looks good

Fuse Box under the dash between the driver door and steering wheel

P.S. What I'm hoping to hear is: "This happen to me and this is how I fixed it..."

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,052 Posts
To troubleshoot, first verify battery voltage is good. Then, have starter tested. It wouldn't hurt to test the alternator as well.

I've had this happen to me, but in my case, it was a broken ignition wire in the engine wire harness.

Verify that the battery terminals have no sign of corrosion or it's not loose. From here, check your ground wires throughout the engine bay. Verify the 7.5a fuse for ignition is testing good. Also, test for a parasitic draw. Something is not going to sleep and could be draining the battery to start.

What brand wires are you using? You can test for spark by pulling each spark plug one at a time and crank the engine to verify there's spark.

Toyotas in general are very sensitive to aftermarket parts. Especially sensitive to coil packs, spark plug wires, starters, and alternators.

·
Registered
1991 Corolla DX wi A240L 4-spd automatic
614 Posts
If you have a '99 CE then your question is in the wrong sub-forum. 75aces any chance you could move it to the right one? Just wondering, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,052 Posts
Moving to correct forum. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question for everyone. Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition key but don't start up the 1999s? :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,052 Posts
This can indicate a weak injector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts