Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many miles I should change the 99 corolla engine oil, assuming i use 5-30. 111,000 miles.

what do most people use here and change interval?

what about air filters? what do you think about the washable frame airfilters? I'm tempted.

other recommended maintanence intervals? I searched..can't find it for 99.

Thanks,
Gordon

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
A general rule of thumb. For conventional oil 3000 miles. For synthetic 5000 miles.

If you want to run longer oil change intervals you need to do a used oil analysis from blackstone labs to see how far you can go based on your driving habits.

K&N Filters are pretty good and seem to do what they advertise.

If you check your maintenance schedule that came with your owners manual, you'll find all the other recommended services listed in there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm not sure how many miles I should change the 99 corolla engine oil, assuming i use 5-30. 111,000 miles.

what do most people use here and change interval?

what about air filters? what do you think about the washable frame airfilters? I'm tempted.

other recommended maintanence intervals? I searched..can't find it for 99.

Thanks,
Gordon
5-30 Castrol GTX regular dino oil, Toyota OEM filter, 3,000-4,000 miles (3,000 if more short trips, 4,000 if longer trips).

Toyota OEM air filter. Plugs changed every 30k miles ('99 has regular plugs), clean throttle body every 60k, coolant drain and fill every 3 year or 30k miles, Toyota coolant, manual tranny fluid every 60k, brake fluid every 3 years (ABS brakes on mine), serpentine belt every 60-70k, PCV every 30k, power steering fluid at 90k. That's it, '99 LE going strong at 108k miles. See the owner's manual for what Toyota recommends, but what I do more than covers it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. why toyota coolant? hope it's not expensive. can we just clean the pcv with MAF cleaner? thx.

·
Registered
99 Corolla
14 Posts
I live in a city and don't drive that often, should I change oil based on mileage or on time period? I use synthetic oil and barely make 5k miles in 6 months.

·
6,458 Posts
For that I would say mileage is good enough.
I mean they usually say 5k or 6 months.
So even if you went 9 months to get to 5K I don't think that would be any issue at all.

meanwhile I put 5k each on BOTH of my cars every 3 months so LOL I do ALOT of oil changes!!!
My family averages ~35k per year between our two cars. :facepalm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts