Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search but couldn't find the answer. Posting on behalf of a friend:

I'm working on a 1999 Toyota Camry XLE 3.0 engine. I'm doing both CV Axles replacement. What is the axle nut torque? 217 ft lbs?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
4,021 Posts
I meant to add that there is some controversy about using an impact wrench on that axle nut (even if using a torque limiting extension). There are those who believe you shouldn't impact that nut on. Just turn it with a manual wrench, then use a manual torque wrench for 217 ft. lbs. It's just an opinion I've read, so the choice is yours.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
By the way, if you only own a torque wrench that goes up to 200, there are two solutions:

borrow a bigger one from your local auto parts store

Stand on a bathroom scale, use a 2 ft long breaker bar and push down until your weight is reduced by 108lbs (108 x 2ft = 216 ft lbs). Just be careful that you push AT the 2 foot mark, and not somewhere else (or do the math so you know what your target number is at whatever place you DO push).

By the way, a tool that goes up to 200 is not considered accurate at that number. A good rule of thumb is to have a 20% margin to either end of the scale of any force measuring tool you use.

Norm

·
4,021 Posts
By the way, if you only own a torque wrench that goes up to 200, there are two solutions:

borrow a bigger one from your local auto parts store

Stand on a bathroom scale, use a 2 ft long breaker bar and push down until your weight is reduced by 108lbs (108 x 2ft = 216 ft lbs). Just be careful that you push AT the 2 foot mark, and not somewhere else (or do the math so you know what your target number is at whatever place you DO push).

By the way, a tool that goes up to 200 is not considered accurate at that number. A good rule of thumb is to have a 20% margin to either end of the scale of any force measuring tool you use.

Norm
Well........I learn interesting things every day! Never would have thought of something like that. Cool!

I purchased this torque wrench for when I need higher torque and have been very happy with the results, especially for the price:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts