Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Hilux/Tacoma
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all,

First post but have enjoyed the read for some time !!

Had a small problem with my V6 engine in my 05 Hilux (Australian Tacoma) since new, its 18 months old now.

It always had a small flatspot off idle and recently (4-6 months) would lose a fair bit of power every now and then ... you had to press the throttle much further to get it to go and cruise throttle opening was down more than usual. Flatspot was more pronounced when it into "push much more throttle to go please" mode.

At one intersection just lately I went to take off and engine just wouldnt revout with throttle flat ... it took ages to wind up and the car that was coming wasnt happy !!

I tossed it back at Toyota Dealer (again) for full check please ..the thing is dangerous when it does it !!! No codes were showing and the chief tech took it home that night and drove it in next day and of course it didnt play up at all !!!

They at least said we dont doubt you have a big problem and we have to get to the bottom of it. That said they started to replace one item at a time and get me to drive it for a few weeks and report back.

They replaced the Air Flow Meter as a start and away I went from the dealership.

All I can say is ... WOW !!! What a difference ! The very first thing I noticed was the gear shifting was so much smoother it was like a change should be .... another thing was that at 35mph cruise in 4 th gear (manual) the throttle opening was so much reduced.

The car has not played up since and I think we are onto the problem ... fingers crossed ! It did not play up at times for a few months so they would like me to report back every month for a few months which I will do.

Mine is a base model "Dual Cab Aluminium Tray Back" as a daily driver and to tow my pwcs on the weekends !! I have 18,000 miles on it.

If anyone experiences it and has no codes up its a good place to start ! (Air Flow Meter)

Regards
Austaco

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Welcome to TN Austaco. I would love to see some pics of your Hilux especially the tray setup. Here in North America we don't have that option, I wish we did. Anyway it's nice to have ya aboard.

Cheers

·
Registered
Hilux/Tacoma
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pic has to be hosted somewhere and url'd or can you insert image from you own pc ???

BTW Thanks for the welcome. Great place, I'm enjoying the reading.

Regards
Austaco

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
Austaco said:
Pic has to be hosted somewhere and url'd or can you insert image from you own pc ???
You have to get the pictures hosted. Try a site like http://photobucket.com/. Free hosting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Austaco said:
Mine is a base model "Dual Cab Aluminium Tray Back" as a daily driver and to tow my pwcs on the weekends !! I have 18,000 miles on it.
what kind of PWC are you towing?

·
Registered
Hilux/Tacoma
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PWCs are two Yamaha FXHO Cruisers. Linked at photobucket hope it works.

Pic is of Aussie Tacoma (hilux) with skis on ... the rear aluminium tray holds heaps of gear and has a flat floor. Its above wheels so has no wheel arches in floor. The tray is rated at 2200lbs capacity. The sides drop down or can be removed in a minute to give a big open flat area on back.

Regards
Austaco

·
Registered
55 Posts
neat truck... different, but neat. is that a factory option there?
oh, and thanks for the advice on the sensor. my truck(4 cyl) seems laggy but i'm not sure, was like that when i got it(used). did you have any fuel mileage issues before it was fixed?
and if so, did it solve them? currently my truck hates any hills and gets really crappy mileage, i'm pretty sure it's the a/f sensor but if it's not it could be what you mentioned. goin to the dealer friday, hopefully they fix it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Nice truck!

I suppose the MAF could be the problem (getting back on topic here... :lol: ) after reading a thread about the Splitsecond PSC that URD sells with a baseline tune for tacomas. That thread kinda opened my eyes to how bad those MAF sensors can be and still be considered "good" by Toyota. Hell, I've thought about buying one of those now to see if I can get some benefit out of it.

Here's the thread if you're interested. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t174366.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well damn, I thought you might ride stand ups. I ride superjet, but have always liked kawi's also. My father in law has a FXHO and a 2006 GP1300R. They are fun, but still what I call a couch.

not sure if you know about it but there is pwctoday.com which is a good watercraft forum, and for stand up jets skis there is www.x-h20.com

·
Registered
05 Taco
13 Posts
So is the "Air Flow Meter" the same part as the mass air flow sensor? I'm having same problem on my 05.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts