Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys
i have some questions. i'll be using the car for street/drifting.
1. 1jz-gte vs. 2jz-gte? both have 280ps, one is 2.5l and the other is 3.0l, both twin turbo... so which one has greater potential?
2. should i get a sx90 with a 4s-fe 120ps under $1k and swap the engine with 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte, or jzx90 tourer V with 1jz-gte 280ps, and if i get the jzx90 should i swap the engine with 2jz-gte? either one i get i have to have blow off valve, turbo timer, lsd, coilovers. so with all these mods which one would be cheaper?
thanks, any comment is appreciated:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
mongoldrifter said:
whats up guys
i have some questions. i'll be using the car for street/drifting.
1. 1jz-gte vs. 2jz-gte? both have 280ps, one is 2.5l and the other is 3.0l, both twin turbo... so which one has greater potential?
2. should i get a sx90 with a 4s-fe 120ps under $1k and swap the engine with 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte, or jzx90 tourer V with 1jz-gte 280ps, and if i get the jzx90 should i swap the engine with 2jz-gte? either one i get i have to have blow off valve, turbo timer, lsd, coilovers. so with all these mods which one would be cheaper?
thanks, any comment is appreciated:)
I would say the 2JZ-GTE is the better engine, and there is probably more parts for it.

OTOH, the 1JZ-GTE was a more popular option for the 70 series Supra than the 7M-GTE. So, displacement isn't eveything.

Good luck shoehorning a JZ block in a car designed for an S block.

- John

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,127 Posts
Well, the 2JZ-GTE was offered in the MKIV Supra and the V300 Aristos...

the 1JZ-GTE was offered in the JZA70 Supras, Chasers, and of course the Soarers...

as for the 1jz and 2jz GTEs producing the same power, that's just manufacture's claim, the 2jz-gte produces around 320 hp in actuality; it's underrated in Japan (or wherever you are)...

for potential, they're both great, 2.5 vs. 3.0, weight may be an issue, but that all depends on what you're going to use the engine for. Your login mentions drifiting, so i'd say go with the 1jz, since you shouldnt really be drifting a 700hp T88 2JZ-GTE anyway...

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Re: Re: 1JZ-GTE vs. 2JZ-GTE

Kensuke said:
Good luck shoehorning a JZ block in a car designed for an S block.
While the SX90 has the S motor, the car did come with JZ motors, the JZX90 with 1JZ-GTE... that generation of Mark II was the 1993 Cressida North America never got.

The 1JZ is a short-stroked motor... you may not enjoy the low-end torque. You'll have fun with both, it all boils down to price.

edit: right click, save target as (17MB)
the fun you can have with 1JZ.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would say 2JZ........but both are kickass engines capable of holding rediculous boost

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
This is what I have read before, the 1JZ's are only good to about 700hp, the 2JZ will go way higher than that, I remember seeing 2JZ's dynoed at about 1200hp before, and there's probably ones making more than that.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
2JZs were designed with only one thing in mind: RACING PERFORMANCE.

The bottom end was designed and built like a tank, it can take far more punishment than any V8 block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts