Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aussie Gen4 V6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but cannot find if there is any information on how good/bad ethanol fuel is when put in a V6 Camry.

Has anyone had any experience with using ethanol fuel in the 1MZ-FE? With the ever increasing price of fuel and the attention people are paying to the environment, is it a feasable switch? Does it harm the engine in any way?

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
This question can also be related to the fact that Australia now has 100RON fuel available from the pump. Catch is, it's got 10% ethanol. Supposed to be friendly for the environment.

·
Aussie Gen4 V6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's cheap and good for the environment, but is it any good for a 1MZ-FE?

·
Aussie Gen4 V6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phat Devil said:
It isnt cheap tho lol. It cost an extra 14 cents compared to normal unleaded.
Last night:
Regular Unleaded: 110.9c/l
Ethanol 95RON: 107.9c/l
Ethanol 98RON: 112.9c/l

It's cheaper in NSW clearly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I doubt you can put ethonal in that engine (unless it actually says in the manual if you can). The ffv cars Ford have can. The ECU needs to be calibrated for it. Also alcohol dissovles rubber.
It also has 3/4 the energy density as gas. Gas with a small percentage of ethonal is probably okay.

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
They have E-85 here (85% ethanol). Sadly it only works on a FEW GM SUV's and the Ford FFV. :sosad: I'd like to see more R&D on ethanol in foreign cars, but i don't think thats going to happen soon.

·
Aussie Gen4 V6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
leasaunce said:
Ethanol should be cheaper than normal fuel, but as it is still limited and i think there's only 1 Ethanol Petrol Station in sydney, the price can be more expensive sometimes, but by next year it should be much cheaper n more cleaner...
The station I went to was the one in Berkshire Park between Blacktown and Richmond on Blacktown Rd.

The ethanol mix is approx 10%. My question still stands. Is it going to harm my car?

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
according to my owners manual, Toyota says it is 'safe' to use upto 10% ethanol in your petrol...

now whether it will damage your engine in the long term...i dont know...
there isnt any conclusive answer, not enough research has really been done yet to answer these sorts of questions :rolleyes:

Shell is selling 100RON (5% Ethanol) petrol in a few of its service stations now...
so i guess the only way to find out is to give it a go :p:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Damned near all the stations i go to have a sign that the gas may contain up to a certain percentage of ethanol (not sure how much off hand) so in theory every tank ive bought has had ethanol in it and my motor runs like new with 180k miles.

And im assuming RON = Octane? if so you've got some sweet gas down under cause the highest octane i can get my hands on is 93

·
Aussie Gen4 V6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CerialPhreak said:
Damned near all the stations i go to have a sign that the gas may contain up to a certain percentage of ethanol (not sure how much off hand) so in theory every tank ive bought has had ethanol in it and my motor runs like new with 180k miles.

And im assuming RON = Octane? if so you've got some sweet gas down under cause the highest octane i can get my hands on is 93
Correct me if I'm wrong but RON stands for Relative Octane Number.

Whatever the acronym stands for, yes, RON = Octane measurement.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
2,599 Posts
terrynham said:
according to my owners manual, Toyota says it is 'safe' to use upto 10% ethanol in your petrol...

now whether it will damage your engine in the long term...i dont know...
there isnt any conclusive answer, not enough research has really been done yet to answer these sorts of questions :rolleyes:

Shell is selling 100RON (5% Ethanol) petrol in a few of its service stations now...
so i guess the only way to find out is to give it a go :p:
yeah, i filled my camry with "Shell Optimax Extreme"

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/extreme/dir_extreme.html

i can definately feel more power.... it's $0.02 more expensive than normal Optimax

There are currently only 34 Shell Petrol Station in Australia that sell "Optimax Extreme" at the moment.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I ahd looked into this at one time also and you can run the E85 or pure ehtanol in your car. NO Toyota can right now. ALmost all gas that you buy will ahve some percentage of ethanol in in. Most of the fuel in the US has up to 10% I think I read somehwere. The E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. This will not work in your Camry. Here is a website if you want to read up on E85 and the vehicles that can use it.

http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
A comparison here actually told a different story. 4 brand new magnas filled up with unleaded 93, premium unleaded 98, 5% ethanol mix, 10% ethanol mix. And it was shown that the 10% ethanol mix actually lasted an extra 200-300km compared to premium. All cars were on a circuit travelling the same speed and drove till it wouldnt move any more.

Dunno whats with it coz i thought it was the other way round as well.

And fuel here in AUST doesnt have any ethanol in it. Ethanol mixed fuel must be labeled. =)

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
10% is fine... Sunoco Ultra 94 here in Canada has 10% ethanol, and I've been using their gas for the past 8-9 years in my 1MZ.

10% is not strong enough to noticeable deteriorate fuel system components, but they do show a bit more signs of wear and tear when it comes to do maintenance. On the good side, ethanol cleans, and it helps keep those chambers tidy and those injectors are less likely to clog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts