Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm preparing to pull the 1MZ-FE engine from my '96 Avalon in order to swap out a self-destructed auto trans-axle. Using the Haynes manual, I've proceeded fairly well with disconnecting everything on the right side of the engine compartment. However, the large wiring harness atop the timing belt cover has me stumped. Are there any connectors within that large harness that allows an easy disconnect from the wiring that goes through the firewall? While it's not too bad disconnecting the wires to the alternator, fuel injectors, etc up front, I'm trying to figure out how to disconnect the wiring across the firewall side of the intake manifold.

Any suggestions, advice and photos (please!) would be mightily appreciated.

Regards,
Brian Read

·
Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
300 Posts
According to the toyota manual:
Disconnect engine harness in cabin
Remove under cover
Disconnect 3 ECM Connectors, and 3 cowl wire connectors
Release grommet, and pull engine wires through

sadly there are no images to illustrate this, but yes, there should be a connection panel inside the cabin somewhere that will allow you to leave the harness on the engine.

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
According to the toyota manual:
Disconnect engine harness in cabin
Remove under cover
Disconnect 3 ECM Connectors, and 3 cowl wire connectors
Release grommet, and pull engine wires through
You have no idea how much I cringed at the thought of my engine getting pulled, with all the extra wire crap i have going though that very same hole. Oh dear.

Seems easy otherwise, just pull the plugs from the ECM, and from the car frame near the blower motor. cake, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the tip! Found all the connectors behind the glove box as you said; was able to snake that monster right out and I'm about to hoist the beast out of the engine compartment. Your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Basically you have 2 choices... either bring the whole harness out with the engine by disconnecting the harness in the glove box as mentioned above or disconnect each separate connector to the sensors etc on the engine and leave the harness behind.
wes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts