Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just some quick info for people with the 1mzfe who are looking for a slightly cooler running thermostat for their cooling system...

The stock OEM thermostat temp is 180 degrees farenheit, or 82 degrees celcius.

Without resorting to the expensive TRD thermostat at 100+bucks a pop, and running at 160 degrees which can be a bit too cool, when it comes to cold winters, etc, several aftermarket companies make 170F / 77C thermostats for the 1mzfe (as well as the 5sfe, but I just don't know the part numbers for them), a good temperature for mildly modified cars who are looking to run just a bit cooler than stock.

Motor Rad - 281-170
Gates - 33867

Also, these are non fail-safe. I'm sure you can probably get them in fail-safe as well.

And I'm sure there's more out there. These should come to less than 20USD a piece and any local automotive store should be able to order them, such as NAPA.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
we should add to the camry sticky:thumbup: good info king!

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
In my opinion, i'd wouldnt change from the OEM type thermostat. All the sensors etc. are designed to run with the temperature thermostat toyota puts in at the factory. Also engine wear may increase as warm up may slow down. I wouldn't switch to a lower temp thermostat, if the engine is overheating, this isnt the cure.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ oh, no, this is not a solution to overheating problems by any means...if somebody is overheating, then this is quite definately not the solution, and many other things must be looked at

but for mildly modified cars such as mine running low boost, it will help the cooling down of the car during warm weather. On an NA car, it may take the car longer to warm up (but with a 10F difference, I wouldn't suppose too much of a difference), but on a FI car, the car warms up in no time, believe me.

the point of lowering the cooling temperature of the cooling system is that it should also keep the temperature of the oil cooler as well- which is the most important thing.

Even if the coolant temperature is through the roof, if oil temperature is still okay, you can still drive. but without coolant, the oil temperature will steadily climb. lowering the coolant temp will just help moderate the oil temp a bit

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
marc780 said:
In my opinion, i'd wouldnt change from the OEM type thermostat. All the sensors etc. are designed to run with the temperature thermostat toyota puts in at the factory. Also engine wear may increase as warm up may slow down. I wouldn't switch to a lower temp thermostat, if the engine is overheating, this isnt the cure.

Low temp thermostats DO NOT extend warm up time because it is supposed to be closed until a preset temperature. For you to say that it would extend warm up time obviously mean you didn't do your research.

I consider 170-180 def F pretty "warmed up" and that's all a low temp thermostat is doing -- opening the thermostat 10-15 def F earlier. The ECU is tuned for all temperature ranges. If you are running at 175 deg F, then the ECU runs on that specific coolant temperature correction. It doesn't affect tuning, or else, our cars wouldn't drive properly at any anything below 180 deg F? Again, do your research please because posts like the above sucks except for discrediting someone's insightful post for no good reason, and of course, misinforming others.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
^ oh, no, this is not a solution to overheating problems by any means...if somebody is overheating, then this is quite definately not the solution, and many other things must be looked at

but for mildly modified cars such as mine running low boost, it will help the cooling down of the car during warm weather. On an NA car, it may take the car longer to warm up (but with a 10F difference, I wouldn't suppose too much of a difference), but on a FI car, the car warms up in no time, believe me.

the point of lowering the cooling temperature of the cooling system is that it should also keep the temperature of the oil cooler as well- which is the most important thing.
Exactly.. :) The lower the coolant temperature is starting at, the longer it takes to heat up. Almost all performance engines would overheat under sustained abuse, and it takes a lot of airflow, fans, etc.. to keep it cool. By starting off a bit cooler, it buys more time before the coolant system reaches max capacity and demands 100% airflow. This is especially important for modded engines because we are simply not overheating under normal driving, but rather that 1-2 mins of spiritted driving. Keeping the temps lower initially will improve cooling.

Plus like I said on the post above, lower temp thermostats do not extend warm up time given the fact that is is working the way it should. A low temp thermostat will still reach up to a set temperature (ie: 160 deg F) at the same time as the stock unit. There are no drawbacks except for a little less fuel economy and the heat won't be as warm through the vents during those feezing winter months.

I am running a NAPA one that is failsafe by the way... $48 CAD I believe.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Do the 1mz ECUs richen up with a lower coolant temp? That would defiantly help with that roots blower :lol:

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if anybody has dug up this thread, I finally installed the thermostat when I did my 5-speed swap and it's dropped my oil temperature accordingly by 10F- well worth the money :thumbup:

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
I can't seem to find the higher pressure TRD radiator caps.

Since the work that's being done to my car, I have currently a 170 degree (10 degree cooler thermostat) going in it, as well as the double-wide rad. I've been thinking of using a higher pressure cap to reduce the boiling point of the coolant and cut back a lot on the antifreeze I use in the coolant mix. Previously I was using a 50/50 mix, but I think I may move more toward 70% water 30% antifreeze or maybe even 80/20 for additional cooling.

Does anyone remember the TRD site that sold the radiator caps? I know ebay has some up, but I don't trust some asshat who bought a random radiator cap and slapped a TRD sticker on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts