Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am have been looking for days for an effective engine in my buggy project. Essentially a sandrail but built for baja more like. Anyhow I have been set on the 1uzfe, lexus/toyota 4.0l all-alum V8. The main downside is that they were auto only. Through deep research, if it is not connected to an auto tranny then it will go in 'limp mode.' Which pretty much means it retards the timing as I recall and loses a lot of power. Thats what I have learned from lextreme, site devoted to that engine. It can be bypassed though bu screwing with the wiring.

Blablabla, just deleted a bunch of crap. Ok the other option seems to be the 1mzfe, as it is a all aluminum V6 (what I wanted at first but didn't know Toy made one). I mailed them to see if the "Toyota V6" adapter if for the 3vz's or 1mz cause I want all-alum.

Main questions, I am not very camry knowledgeable:
-They are avalible in stick, right? (no potential auto tranny limp mode)
-Do they go in a 'limp mod' if the speed sensor (1 or 2?) is disconnected from a auto?
-How much do they weigh app (engine only or complete with accesories), 300-350 lb?
-Have any sort of limp mode that anyone knows of that has fooled with the wiring a bit?
-What are the engine year variations? I DO NOT want VVT-i, what is the latest year of camrys before vvt-i?
-Can the O2 sensors be easily fooled with some aftermarket plug-in box thing?

Not many but I just want to know all of the strings to the engine that I choose before hand so I dont get screwed with a N/A application. Thanks.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
the 3vz-fe came with a manual, the 1mz-fe didn't.

the 3vz-fe went from 92-mid 94 i think. 1mz-fe up to the last year of the gen 4.5, year 2001 i think.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
^^ whoops, my mistake... for a fact the 1mz-fe didn't come 5 speed in the 3rd gens though...
thanks for the correction bud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JMSinMD

The thing is you have to use a VW gearbox. They are a transaxle in the rear. Having said that Porsche transaxles should work great but they cost more and are less common.

What are the years for gen 3 and 4? Is it 93-97 and 98-00? I need that firgured out. Thanks

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
1mz is a good motor...

came in auto only 94-96 (gen 3), then 97-2001 camry was available in manual (gen 4), solaras were always available in manual. the newer ones are available with manual, but im not sure which years started vvti.

what you should be interested in also, is the fuel setup, gen 3 1mz's had a fuel return type setup, and the newer ones after that had a non return style, where only evap gases are sent back to the evap system above the tank.

about the limp mode thing... the ecu wont care if you dont have an auto tranny, with an auto ecu. i have a manual on an auto ecu right now. it only has codes for shift solenoid malfunction. and that does not put it into limp mode.
as far as the speed sensor failure, i dont think that matters either. i know my speed sensor is bad, and i still have full function.

the o2 sensors i BELIEVE can be fooled, if you plan on using some sort of management system for the fuel control. i dont see why, if you were using the stock ecu, that you would want them out though.

BTW, as a note to all members, PLEASE dotn post unless you know the info for sure. it confuses people, as you can see.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
vvti started in 97 I think, but they were only available for the es300 and not for the camry/solara

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
zoni, wasn't the 3.3L introduced to the camry in 2005?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, very helpful. I know there are O2 simulators out there, URD for example has them. The things is I dont want to have to hook up 2 or more o2 sensors cause I'm not ganna be running a cat, so there is one error code at least, not that it makes a big diff. But the simulators arent cheap, but they aren't expensive, less wires as well.

·
Registered
Lexus ES 250
158 Posts
The problem I see with the 1mz, and pretty much all the FWD v6's is that they're mounted tilled way back, so if you tried to mount one normal like a v8, either the oil pan is going to be all cockeyed (tilled) or you would have to mount it way tilled to one side (passenger side).

I really think the inline 6 (not sure the designation) would be an awsome choice, same motor as the supra (damn is that aluminum?). Theres lots and lots of performance parts and even turbo kits.

You keep mentioning wanting an aluminum motor. If you think you're going to save much weight, you're in for a surprise. A bare block doesn't really weigh much more in steel. There's so much weight in the crank and heads, the difference of weight in the block isn't so much to worry about. I took in a bare 1mz block for recycle and it was still 50 lbs of aluminum. Each head was 25 lbs.

To end, I realize you want to do something different but jesus, just get yourself a flat 6 air cooled turbo motor and be done with it. An air cooled motor will save gobs in weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Appreciate the criticism.

The thing with a inline 6 is that they are so damn long. Not sure if you know the, but the VW transaxles are prettymuch the mirror of any rear wheel drive car. Well the transaxle is set in place, you can't really move it back and forth as easily as you can a transmission and engine cause it would be like moving the front dif on a 4wd truck; cv's dont like it. The the engine sticks out behind the car. I would guess an inline 6 would add 8-10" to the length. That thing would wheelie goin downhill!

Defenitely thanks for mentioning the tilted oil pan, never thought about that. Could always modify the oil pan.

Never contemplated it much about alum bock vs iron block. You are kind of right, but iron adds about 70 pounds. In my prior truck I remember taking the block (22RE) to a machine shop. That thing had to be 120lb aloneat least. 90 bags of concrete are hellova lot easier to lift than that was.

But I think I got some good help on this, thanks a lot. Went to pick and pull, they didn't have any 1mz's there, bummer, heh.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
no 1mz, what kind of junkyard is that!!!?!?

yeah i got a brand new 1mz shortblock, with crank and pistons, and i lifted the whole thing up myself and threw it on a shelf 5 ft high. its not too bad. nice aluminum. i have a 3vz old iron block as well, and it is fairly heavier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm ganna look again, heh. Tuesday probably. Cost 2 bucks to get in and you pull what you want and pay for it, good prices. All engines are like 185 I think.

But one neg to the 1mz is that damn big-ass intake. It would stick up relatively high at 90* from block to ground. But maybe a 3vz-e would bolt on to it from the pickups and oil pan as well? I dunno, gotta relook though.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
yeah the 3vz-e from the pickups isnt tilted in the bay like the camry motors... BUT, you could make a custom intake setup if you wanted to mount the 1mz at a 90 degree angle instead of the like 70-75 it is at.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,853 Posts
How much rear suspension travel do you need?

Why not use the 1MZ with an MR2 transmission? You can use all MR2 tranny/clutch/axle parts, Camry/Solara 1MZ ECU/wiring and bolt it up like an MR2 does. The engine will be balance right over the rear axle for good off-road weight distribution and you don't have to do any custom bell-housing parts or anything...

You'll have: 200+ reliable hp, a 400hp+ capable tranny all in a well known configuration.

What do you think?

-Charlie

PS. The 1MZ swap into MR2s is a well travelled path - check out www.mr2oc.com for info on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The rear suspension a bitch to get? Cause I did see a MR2 at the junkyard. Never knew they were rear engine, lol. Just loved it in Forza (xbox game). I kind of dont want to change my plans cause I already cut the rear suspension off the superbeetle. But the transaxles are only made for about 80hp or so and con take 150-200 if you dont dump the clutch too often and take it somewhat easy when shifting. That might be a idea to look into. I'm goin there tomorrow to take my time cause I only had like 1/2 hour before; it was closing time.

I know the engine and tranny were there though. Couldn't firgure out how to pop the cover, lol. When I went to sand mountain for the first time a couple moths back with some friends one rail in the group had some honda set-up like you mentioned. I dunno if it was front or rear suspension (never really heard of a rear engine honda, NSX?) but it was a 4cyl.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Oh yeah, does the year make a big difference on the MR2? It looked to be a early 90's car and was light blue if that color was only made on a few cars for example. Think it would be strong enough? Not like it has to be bomb proof, but strong anyhow. Might be beefable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts