Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 950 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
What are the fuel requirement for the V6? Does it require 93 octane? I've heard of people having problems by using the wrong octane gas. If the engine is designed to use 87 octane, 93 octane will not help it, and you might actually lose performance, though I doubt to the extreme you experienced. If it requires 93, you better use 93. I'm just curious as to what octane Toyota suggested for the new Camry/Avalon V6.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Brutus07 said:
What are the fuel requirement for the V6? Does it require 93 octane? I've heard of people having problems by using the wrong octane gas. If the engine is designed to use 87 octane, 93 octane will not help it, and you might actually lose performance, though I doubt to the extreme you experienced. If it requires 93, you better use 93. I'm just curious as to what octane Toyota suggested for the new Camry/Avalon V6.
This is true. Higher octane gas is not as flammable as lower octane and you may not get complete combustion if your car does not adjust its timing properly to take advantage of it. I know my I4 loses 2mpg when I switch from 87-->93. Over time, the incomplete combustion may lead to deposits in the cylinder, decreasing the effective displacement volume and increasing the compression ratio, forcing the car to run on higher octane in order to avoid knock. I'm not sure if it would cause such a noticeable difference seen here though. It's probably like the others have said: just a bad tank of gas. Just pour in gas from a different station and let it mix a bit. You should be able to flush it out soon enough.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2,083 Posts
Go to dealer, if not in ny, then somewhere. End of discussion. You just bought the car. Why is everyone making a huge deal out of this? This guy should not have to operate and experiment with his car if he just bought it off of the lot. I only suggested the 800 number because they can document the problem you have at Toyota and they can tell you who the Customer Relations person is. Documenting the problem makes things move faster if push comes to shove. As far as the gasoline, Gen 5s and 5.5s suggest 87 and I bet that it says the same in your manual. I'm pretty sure that all of the Camrys suggest 87.

Again, I am not an engine expert but I can use common sense.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Everyone, Thank you again for your advise and feedback.

I called the dealership yesterday afternoon and spoke to a different service representative than the one that I useally deal with. He actually was very nice and willing to help. After I explained everything to him he said that there is 100% something wrong with the car and that the warranty should cover this repair. After that he asked if I felt comfortable drivig the car from my house to the service department what is about 15 miles and I said no. So he offered to get the car towed at toyota expense at my convenience. So, the tow truck came last night around five and picked up my car, even the tow truck guy said, that something didnt seem right when he loaded the car on the truck and he said that the engine was racing too much and he only turned on the car and pulled it out of the garage.
So, now the car is at the dealership and I called them already to let my service rep know(not the one that i spoke to yesterday) that the car is there already and asked him what will happen next. He really couldnt say but he did mentioned that there miht be something wrong with some cables and sparks, whatever that means.

Well, I will keep everyone up to date of what is happening and I hope for my good that I will get the car asap back and 100% fixed.

BTW, for everyone that notice that little push when you accelerate, I asked the dealership yesterday about it and I was explained that this is a half of second delay when you accelerate due to the fact that the throttle system is now function without cables or something close to that and that this is a normal thing to feel that delay when trying to hit the gas pedal lil harder. Just thougt I would share this

Thanks everyone again

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
1,363 Posts
The heistation is caused by the "drive by wire", the 07 Cams like the "02-06" ES has a learning curve where the car adapts to the way you drive which could cause your car to shift irregularly as it try to find gears and what not. But it should not be that bad. I found this out on my 03 ES before I went to town on it and changed out most of the stuff to SC Flywheels...... I also made a few other mods including changing shift points and the redline.

The engine racing and jolting, sounds more than just bad gas, I would not be surprised if they replaced the ECU as well as alot of components.

Where at in the NY area do you live?

BTW, Federal Law requires a dealer/manufactuer to prove that any mods, service or work (including filling up) is the direct cause for the failure in question before they can void the warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hello Everyone

I thought I would let you guys know what has happened so far since my last post, so here it is!!!!!!!!!

The car has been at the shop since Monday Night and it is going to be there until next wednesday if I am lucky. Tuesday I called like all day the dealership to see if they found out what has happened so far and they did not even look at the car until tuesday afternoon like around 3.00pm and the shop closes at 5.00pm. So I got a phonce call from my service rep, tuesday around 4.00pm, asking if I knew how to start the car or if i read the instructions manual cause there seems something wrong with the starter of the car and it seems that the smart key starter was missused. That is what I was asked from the service rep and after explaining to him that I read the maunal many times and that I start the car the same way as I was showed my sales person when I first picked up the car. After I said that my service rep was like,hmmmmmmmm than I dont know what else could be wrong with it and we will need more time but the service department is closing within the next hour so we dont think you will get the car back the same day and we will call you on wednesday...................So, wednesday afternoon I called the dealership again, hoping that they found the issue and fixed it and I can get the car back and once I got my service rep on the phone he was like. Sorry, I have bad news!!!!!!!!!! Guess what guys, part of the transmission is broken and it's a manufacturer defect, that is what he said to me, He didn't even know 100& what is was he just knew that it had something to do with the transmission system and that it was a manufacturer defect and that he will need to order a piece and it will take up to a week........Man , was I upset but really couldnt do anything other then asking for a rental car, of course at the dealership expense and to wait now until next wednesday and hope that this will be the last issue that i will have for the longest. He did guarantee that this issue will nopt effect the running of the car now or later in the future and that there should not be any more problems relating to the same issue after fixing this defect. So I am waiting now to get my car next week and till then, I'm driving a Ford Focus as a rental and I'm keeping this one until I get mine back. Well, will keep you folks updated put please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments. I learned a lot from you folks over the last couple of days and thank you again.

Who knows something about the Lemon Law????????? I read something about it and I actually searched for the lemon law on the web but I'm wondering if this issue would be covered under the lemon law????

Sincerely,

Anthony

P.S If you guys see words that are mispelled, Sorry for that, I wrote all this while I am at work and I had to rush

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
3,192 Posts
AESANTIAGO said:
Who knows something about the Lemon Law????????? I read something about it and I actually searched for the lemon law on the web but I'm wondering if this issue would be covered under the lemon law????
Bring it three times for same service and upon return if the product is still defective, it is deemed a lemon. Thats the basic understanding, however....ensure you keep a complete booklet of dates/times/what happened/contacted who/spoke with who and what service was done to your car. If this could become a recurring problem, this handy-dandy book whereby you document your encounter could be valid information when determining if it turns out to be a lemon! Good luck!

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2,083 Posts
Manufacturer's defect!!! Damn Toyota. That is not good. Chances are the other guy who was on this post had a Camry with the exact same issue. As more Gen 6 Camry's populate the road ways, you might begin to hear more about this problem. When I hear news like that, I'm glad that I stuck with my Gen 5 though they have factory intake manifold defects. A transmission is a more serious issue than an intake manifold. But AESANTIAGO, you should be very happy once they fix your transmission problems. You probably won't have any more troubles. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
It would be interesting to see exactly what they had to replace in the tranny! Make sure your copy of the repair shows all parts replaced and then let us know. Unfortunatly a rebuilt tranny is only as good as the person doing it! Hope you get a good one!:)

Gary

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,089 Posts
I had a 2000 camry a wile back (i have had 2 other camrys scence then) and there was a little leek from the trany and the dealer calld toyota motor inc. And they decided to put in a new tranny because they wanted to tare it apart to see what was rong. Try to call toyota inc. and ask them about a new tranny.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Not yet, sorry guys! I called the dealership this morning and my service rep is off today but I spoke to another service rep and he told me that my parts are on backorder and it can take up anywhere between 1 day or two more weeks. I'm getting frustrated cause they been having my car a full week now and what kills me more is that it seems that nobody is making this a priority.

Will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Just a tip from soneone who had his car at Toyota for about 10 days last year. My car was in their shop for the full 10 days waiting on backordered parts. They kept the window open the whole time so that they would not lock the keys in the car. My inside was covered in dust. Just a thought if they are keeping your car inside and the windows are open.

41 - 60 of 950 Posts