Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 HLS

so the water pump just went at 40k miles. it's covered by the 60k powertrain warranty. There was a constant knocking sound at idle/engine on near the lower left passenger side of the engine. The sound was probably coming from the water pump bearings. You can hear it clearly with the hood opened.

if you noticed anything similar to that on your vehicle, get it checked out asap. If the pump shuts down completely, your engine will overheat and that's really bad for the engine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ha! Just went past 40,000 last week. Sure hope the problem is just an odd one and not some built in basic design flaw. I'll be keeping an eye, er rather ear, on it. Thanks

·
Resident Nutcase
12,204 Posts
just passed the 50k mile mark recently only noise my engine is making is randomly (probably1 out of 20 startups) there is a brief grinding noise. besides that i think you might have been unlucky.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And......
To continue this thread, my water pump showed sign of leakage @42k.
There was a pinkish red residue on the bottom of it. I noticed it while changing oil.
I probably would not have even made the effort to look, except for member rykohl's thread.
The pump made no noise and it was covered under warranty.

I wonder what's next.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
391 Posts
And......
To continue this thread, my water pump showed sign of leakage @42k.
There was a pinkish red residue on the bottom of it. I noticed it while changing oil.
I probably would not have even made the effort to look, except for member rykohl's thread.
The pump made no noise and it was covered under warranty.

I wonder what's next.:rolleyes:
Is residue visible from the top of the engine?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is residue visible from the top of the engine?
Nope, you have to look from underneath, like if you were inspecting the VVT line.
There actually was a little pinkish stuff on the VVT line plastic cover.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jwall, thats some stuff your ride went through. i am picking mine up in 2 hrs. will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parts replaced:

water pump assy and gskt .

car runs great now. the bill was around $1200 but covered by warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
water pump

71000 km for my 2008 . Water pump is about to have MAJOR damage (pulley moves a lot when I move with hands.) . Hope it will be repair in the 100k/5years warranty .....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts