Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Highlander lmtd
67 Posts
Well... Consider what the filter does. It only removes solids suspended in the oil.. and only fails when the accumulated solids build up enough to reduce the flow (at which point the oil is bypassed). Your filter does nothing to prevent the breakdown of the oil. Unless you are concerned that solids are being flushed through the filter (not) there is in fact little need to replace the filter at each or even every other oil change.
Good luck with that...the couple of $'s and peace of mind and ability to not have an engine go bad are easily worth it for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If memory seves me right when yota was having all their sludging issues one of the causes was people not changing their filters. I'm sure that wasn't the only cause but a contributing factor.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011HL
1,313 Posts
Good luck with that...the couple of $'s and peace of mind and ability to not have an engine go bad are easily worth it for me.
True.. and that is what most people and oil change garages do. But.. from a technical point.. the filter only removes suspended solids.. and with modern engines there is a lot less wear (read solids generated) than engines of old. And, the quality of the oil is much improved as well especially synthetics.. so some of those "old time" practices could use some new thinking.. as the Toyota manual tries to do by increasing the period between oil changes.. and how often to change your transmission fluid.. transfer case.. rear end.. wheel bearings.. etc. etc. :grin:

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
680 Posts
Well... Consider what the filter does. It only removes solids suspended in the oil.. and only fails when the accumulated solids build up enough to reduce the flow (at which point the oil is bypassed). Your filter does nothing to prevent the breakdown of the oil. Unless you are concerned that solids are being flushed through the filter (not) there is in fact little need to replace the filter at each or even every other oil change.
I understand people's reluctance to not changing the oil filter at every oil change. However, the fact that Toyota allows 10K miles between oil changes gives me assurance that leaving the filter in for that period but changing the oil at 5K miles is a good compromise.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts