810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the non XRS rolla. pretty much same engine as the xD
slow at work and was surprise that this guy got 5k on this 09 rolla already

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
14mm wrench.. every toyota factory drain plugs gonna be 14mm..
toyota also went with a drop in oil filter.. which requires a oil filter wrench to take the house off
the oil filter wrench size you need is a 65mm

u can get
65mm 14 flute from NAPA for $8.99
or
SST 09228-06500-02 from http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=877

dont use a combination 65/67mm one as they dont grip 100%

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all First time poster but been reading posts in the 10th gen.

I did my first oil change after 1000 miles just because I wanted to get that oil filter out of the car. Just in case of metal fragments. All went well but I could not figure out why I could not get the factory drain plug washer off the pan. Sounds to me that wonger is a toyota tech. So did I just not try hard enough to get the factory oil plug washer off the pan???

I just left the old washer on the pan, it has not leaked but next time I do an oil change I want to replace the washer.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
63 Posts
I have 1125 miles on my so far in a month... It's hard not to drive, especially since I get soooo much better gas mileage than what I'm used to.
(I had a '92 4Runner V6 13/16mpg)

·
Bored Corolla Driver
2009 Toyota Corolla
346 Posts
I have 1125 miles on my so far in a month... It's hard not to drive, especially since I get soooo much better gas mileage than what I'm used to.
(I had a '92 4Runner V6 13/16mpg)
Oh, no! You fell into a trap. It's like buying food that says it has 50% less fat! And so you eat more since you say it's 50% less fat! You end up eating more than just getting the regular 100% fat. :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts

I did my first oil change after 1000 miles just because I wanted to get that oil filter out of the car. Just in case of metal fragments. All went well but I could not figure out why I could not get the factory drain plug washer off the pan. Sounds to me that wonger is a toyota tech. So did I just not try hard enough to get the factory oil plug washer off the pan???

I just left the old washer on the pan, it has not leaked but next time I do an oil change I want to replace the washer.

Just take a small, regular screwdriver, and put the blade on the drain plug washer's edge, kind of like between the drain pan and the plug, and give the end of the screw driver a light tap with your hand - it will come off. All new Toyotas are this way - seems like the washer adheres to the drain pan, maybe because of the new paint on the pan??

·
Registered
400 Posts

I think I can count on one or two hands the number of times in over 550k miles on three Toyotas that I changed that washer out. As long as the washer is intact, you can reuse it. I only specifically remember one washer deteriorating to the point where it had to be replaced. I used to keep two or three in the toolbox just in case. But unless it's leaking or obviously lost its integrity, reuse.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
63 Posts
Haha, close... I've noticed I get gas just as much but I only pay half as much...Heh, that kind of rhymed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

they can be used like 3 to 4 times.. depending on how tight you make the plug.. over tightening will make the crush washer less reusable sooner
like mcdawgg said use a screwdriver..
as for me i use a pocket screwdriver. press the screwdrivers tip between the washer and pan.. and i just twist while pushing in .. and the washer falls off
ps: washer is just there to take some of the pressure off the threads in the pan so they will last longer over time. since that plugs gonna be removed so many times.. also make sure you use the same type of washer or similar (soft metal washer) and not the cheapy paper or plastic ones.. cuz they can crack when tightening the plug and not know it.. this can cause some oil leaks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wonger

Thanks for the post. I thought it was part of the pan or maybe my pan was messed up. Next time I do the oil change I will replace it.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I did the oil change not a whole lot of oil came out, but I used the instructions on the oil filter box and says to unscrew untill oil comes out of one of the notches built into the filter housing. Not too messy at all. Very easy just look how the old O-ring sits on the filter housing for the new O-ring. Thats all I did.

·
Registered
400 Posts
First oil change completed on mine tonight at 1,023 miles. I'm a little old-fashioned. The dealer sticker said 5k, but I lose the break-in oil early. There's been some recent haggling over on the Yahoo Toyota group about metal in break-in oil... I'm here to tell you that mine had some. I've saved the filter and may try to post some pics if the bits show up in a photo. I'm glad I went ahead and changed it. Oil's cheap.

This one's a bit more work than my '93 Camry. It sits lower to the ground and too low to drive up on my existing ramps. The pan plug is no big deal, but the oil filter is a stretch and you can't really see well what you're doing. If the inside of the housing is supposed to be wiped out, well, that didn't get done.

Next time, I think the filter housing should be cracked first so it can drain while the pan is draining. One benefit I see to the new arrangement is that you know exactly where the oil is coming out and the path it's going to take to the drain pan is very direct. With filters mounted on the front of the engine, you have to reach around the hot exhaust manifold and oil goes everywhere when the old filter comes off.

The oil filter wrench the dealer sold me doesn't grip very tightly. I'll have to go back and verify that it's the right one. My old one that I used on my Camry did a better job, but is a bit too snug and doesn't want to come off. I'm not used to putting the filter on with the wrench either, but it's very obvious when the gasket seats, so probably difficult to overtighten accidentally.

A little more time and work, but not unreasonable for the do-it-yourselfer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ how much u pay for the filter wrench.. the one thats from toyota that fits perfectly is a chrome wrench.. which i heard cost anywhere around 50- 90$ but thats from what i got from the tool truck.. i havent checked toyotas parts department as i get them free from the dealership hehe

·
Registered
400 Posts
I paid $8.95 for the filter attachment (fits on a socket drive), but it's black metal. I'm not impressed with it. The parts guy even went out to the shop to ask if it was the right one. :disappoin

YOHAN, according to Toyota, you are fine to run until 5,000 miles on the factory fill oil. I'm picky.

It depends on the dealer as to whether you can just show up or make an appointment, but I think most can get you in and out quicker with an appointment.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Corolla SE
62 Posts
have any of you guys decided to run better oil such as mobile 1 full synthetic or royal purple?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts