Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm soon to be the proud owner of a bouncing baby taco - I'm pickin' her up tonight.
She's a sleek silver girl, a little shy with only four cylinders - but she's ready to dig in with 4x4 when needed. Being all new to the Taco owners world and having the first of many questions I'm sure, I just wanted to say hey to everyone and drop my first one. My buddy turned me on to this board the other day and although I haven't had a chance to do a lot of reading yet I have noticed something which already has me concerned. Everyone seems to agree that the OEM tires are crap. Being here in the NE and expecting a real winter this year, the first thing I'm going to do is get some new rubber. My question is can I safely upgrade to 265/75r/16's? the truck is stock w/ the 245's. I notice the v6's w/offroad/sport come w/ 265's. Is the extra height gained by the Bilsteins needed to run the 265's or am I safe using them on a stock 2.7L 4cyl?
Also this being my first taco, my first truck in fact - I'm wondering what upgrades are possible when it comes to performance on the 4cyl. I would have gone w/ the v6 but the wife put the kybosh on that - she knows how crazy I am when it comes to my bike. But since I've already convinced her the tires are a necessity, I'm wondering what else I can slip in while I have free reign on the card?
Thanks for any and all info and Happy Holidays
J

·
Cephasiii
05' Tacoma Prerunner
253 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new taco. Regarding upgrades... Some have put K&N Intakes on there trucks, but that opens up a whole new discussion on whether its worth it or not. I personally have one and know for a fact that my gas mileage hasn't increased but still need to dyno to find out if it has a power increase. You can also put a new exhaust on. Some go with the TRD and other just put a new Magnaflow on and are very happy with it. Have fun with your new baby and congrats.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
On a 2.7L, I'd get tires closer to the stock size. If you want something wider get the 265/70/16's. They still look better than the 245's and you aren't changing the overall diameter much. What brand of tires are you looking at?

That's all I got. You'll have to ask the four banger guys about other upgrades.

Welcome! :hi:

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

Belcome Wrother Sharkbait!

Glad to have you aboard.

Search long and search often . . .

To post early is to die quickly . . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and the welcome.
I picked her up last night and she sure is beautiful.
Even got the dealer to throw me a bone and give me the bedliner as a toss in.
It's good when you deal with a decent stealer - there aren't too many.

·
Registered
15 RAV4 LE AWD
334 Posts
Jafu said:
Thanks for the info and the welcome.
I picked her up last night and she sure is beautiful.
Even got the dealer to throw me a bone and give me the bedliner as a toss in.
It's good when you deal with a decent stealer - there aren't too many.
Congrats on the new Taco! I have a pre-runner and also live in Jersey and was able to get through the last snow we had on my stock tires. So you should be fine with 4WD and the stock tires in the snow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Again,
Brother Sharkbait checking in again.
Just got back from a couple of weeks camping and rockclimbing out in Joshua Tree - man do you cali guys have it going on in terms of lifted trucks and four-wheeling terrain, it makes an east coaster jealous just to see it. Wish I had the taco with me so I could have tried some off-roading in the desert.
Anyway thanks to all who replied. I wondering are there any 4x4, 4 banger owners who've done the switch over to the 265/70/16's? Any issues? Rubbing, etc?
As long as we stay dry here east, i.e. no snow, I'm holding off ordering the new tires until I get some solid confirmations that it'll work. If it does work then I'm going for the revo's or the toyo open countries. All the 6 cyl trd's come with the 265's and I'm wondering if the sport and off road packages are lifted more than the base model 6's and 4's.
Does anyone know for sure?

Also does anyone know if where I can get fog lights that fit the bumper? The sr5's come fog lamp equipped but the base models are sans fogs of course. Is my only option getting a bullbar/light bar and wiring up some fogs myself?
Thanks for any and all info.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jafu said:
Hello Again,
Brother Sharkbait checking in again.
Just got back from a couple of weeks camping and rockclimbing out in Joshua Tree - man do you cali guys have it going on in terms of lifted trucks and four-wheeling terrain, it makes an east coaster jealous just to see it. Wish I had the taco with me so I could have tried some off-roading in the desert.
Anyway thanks to all who replied. I wondering are there any 4x4, 4 banger owners who've done the switch over to the 265/70/16's? Any issues? Rubbing, etc?
As long as we stay dry here east, i.e. no snow, I'm holding off ordering the new tires until I get some solid confirmations that it'll work. If it does work then I'm going for the revo's or the toyo open countries. All the 6 cyl trd's come with the 265's and I'm wondering if the sport and off road packages are lifted more than the base model 6's and 4's.
Does anyone know for sure?

Also does anyone know if where I can get fog lights that fit the bumper? The sr5's come fog lamp equipped but the base models are sans fogs of course. Is my only option getting a bullbar/light bar and wiring up some fogs myself?
Thanks for any and all info.
You should PM Lotust, I'm pretty sure he has the 4 cyl. w/ the 265's, and I know he was looking for a fog light setup for his. So you guys should be buddies.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma DC 4X4
22 Posts
Me Too!

I just joined the Toyota Nation today myself. Dumped my Ford Ranger for an 06 DC 4x4 with the TRD Sport and Tow Package, with Roof Rack in Super White. The DIY sticky thread kicks butt, I'm already starting a to-do list of mods to do. I found the digging the forum here to be very helpful while I was researching my purchase.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
MTBBill said:
I just joined the Toyota Nation today myself. Dumped my Ford Ranger for an 06 DC 4x4 with the TRD Sport and Tow Package, with Roof Rack in Super White. The DIY sticky thread kicks butt, I'm already starting a to-do list of mods to do. I found the digging the forum here to be very helpful while I was researching my purchase.
What do you plan to do first?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jafu said:
I wondering are there any 4x4, 4 banger owners who've done the switch over to the 265/70/16's? Any issues? Rubbing, etc?.
I'm have a 4x2 4cyl on order. I'm getting the 16in wheel upgrade from the factory. Not sure which tires will come on it though. The brochure only shows 16in wheels with P245/65R16 tires. After doing some internet searching, I could not find too many tire brands with this size. I'm thinking it may be a misprint. What I did find out was the standard tire is P215/70R15 with an overall diameter of 26.9" (774 revs/mile). The recommended 16" tire is P235/60/R16 with overall diameter of 27" (772 revs/mile). This tire has a lot more availability. As you can see, the two are equivalent in terms of rolling diameter.

Also, I was told by the dealer that the standard 4x4 16" wheel package would not work due to a larger rolling diameter. The 4x4 trucks are about 1" taller for the tire clearance. For reference, the standard 16" wheel has P245/75R16 tires with overall diameter of 30.5" (683 revs/mile).

Here is website where you can find similar information:
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

·
Registered
06 Tacoma DC 4X4
22 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
What do you plan to do first?
I just took out the secondary air filter and wired in the USASpec Adapter for my MP3 player today. I spent the rest of the day working on my over-the-bed bike rack. When done it will hold 2 bikes fully upright and two bike via the fork mounts. The 2nd upright bike carrier wil not be in until monday so I'm sure to have more fun next week. I'm going to do the in cabin 110VAC outlets mod as I have a lot gadgets that need to be charged so the 110 in the cabin will actual save me money. I have used a small power inverter before but I like the idea of the full-time capability. I already bought a 700W inverter today so I'm going to start taking it apart for the extension/install in a week or so.

-Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
robsatx said:
Belcome Wrother Sharkbait!

Glad to have you aboard.

Search long and search often . . .

To post early is to die quickly . . .
Those are some wise words right there. :bowdown:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts