Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to replace the main crankshaft bearings without removing the crank? And are there any video tutorials? Thank you!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,785 Posts
Years ago I "rolled" new bearings in by just loosing the the main journals on the crank and removing one at a time. That was on a Chevy v8 . Not ideal but it can be done. Why do you think you need mains? If your new to this IMHO I wouldn't do it that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago I "rolled" new bearings in by just loosing the the main journals on the crank and removing one at a time. That was on a Chevy v8 . Not ideal but it can be done. Why do you think you need mains? If your new to this IMHO I wouldn't do it that way.
I am very slowly working on the oil consumption fix for my car, and the connecting rod bearings came out pretty bad. It was clearly starved for oil at some point. I have not taken a main cap off to see, but I was wondering how difficult it might be to roll some new bearings into it just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,785 Posts
I haven't tried it on a Toyota. Keep in mind once you loosen the main bearing caps you can't rotate the crank. How many miles on the car? You might consider pulling one cap and inspecting that bearing and crank surface and then deciding how to proceed. Problem is that you can't inspect, measure, install and torque properly using that method.
Decent video but keep in mind that he's not fighting gravity!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts