Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 2005 Solara's in 2 setups:

SLE (4 cyl)
SE Sport V6 w/sunroof

I am working within a certain price range so the SLE V6 is out of the question

Both automatics . It's for the wife.

My wife drove a 4 banger SLE and loved it. I was in the back seat and she didn't step on it by any means, so I could get no feel for how much the little 4 banger moves out.

In general I'd rather have a V6, but the SE Sport V6 lacks a few features the SLE has, namely auto A/C and power seats. Not a deal break considering the tradeoff is having a V6. My wife can make due with either car.

I'm trying to get an idea for the quality of the 4 cyl and V6 engines in these cars. Are these new engines or have they been around a while? Are they good engines, and in particular, is that 4cyl a good engine that will LAST and not loose all of it's get up and go after 2-4 years.

Lastly, is there any precedent for resale value on solara's or camry's with 4cyl vs. the V6's.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nothing to be worried about... those 4cyl engines that toyota make will last for years and years to come without losing any power.... and with that engine in there, with VVT (Variable Valve Timing), will improve effeciency over the older engines.

I got a 9 year old camry le with a 4cyl.... with 150k miles... and it still runs the same way when it was bought in in 1997.

My buddy has a 1980 toyota pickup truck, and its all hanging by a few strings... but the engine still has a big strong chain attached to it (so to speak), it has over 300k miles, gets abused every day, theres never any oil in there, and it still holds strong...

the point is, toyota makes the best 4cyl engines on the market, the engine in there, when you said "had it been around for a while", they are built brand new, they dont just grab an engine off the shelve thats 5 years old and put it in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"had it been around a while" meant is it an existing engine design they have been using for the past years, or was it a newly introduced engine this year. I'm not one to be an early adopter and might be skeptical about buying a brand new car that has a brand new engine that they just released.

A re-tweaked existing engine is fine with me, but it's brand new, built from the ground up, I prefer to let others have the first hand.

Good to know the 4cyl toyota motors are going strong. Ther is a 4cyl SLE that has what we want, but I'm having ahard time finding a SE Coupe V6 that is optioned the way we want. So the 4cyl may be the one.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
in all honesty i would go with the i4 instead of the v6 cause the v6 uses a plastic type of intake manifold and from what i remember gm has been doing that and getting alot of problems with longevity. if you plan to keep the car stock don't skimp out cause what helps the value stay longer is when you have options on the car.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2012 Ford Escape
7,129 Posts
the 4 cyl engine is the 2az-fe...

it was first introduced in the 2002 Camry...

it's also used in the new Scion tC, and i THINK the Rav4...

while it's brand new, there havent been any real issues with this engine...

the V6 is the 3mz-fe, found in the 2004 Camry SE, the Lexus ES330, the RX330, and i believe the Avalon...

once again, it's a brand new engine, and is only offered here in North America (everyone else has the 3.0 1mz-fe, with 30 or so less HP)...

honestly, just get the options you want, the 4cyl is more than enough to pull the Solara, so engines shouldnt really be an issue..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good informatiom, thanks a lot. If this 4cyl is used in the tC, and the tC is going to have a TRD supercharger, is there a supercharger available for the Solara's already that will fit on the 05, or is one coming out? 200hp is more appealing then 157.

·
Zoom-Zoom
7,129 Posts
the supercharger should fit the engine, but im not sure if it'll fit in the engine bay...

there might be clearance, and ECU issues...

just like the 1mz-fe supercharger available for the 97-01 Camry's/Solaras that didnt fit in anything else without modifications, even on a car with the same engine...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just pulled into the driveway with my 2.4 L. The power is fine for getting around town, driving the freeway and for acceleration. But then I have a 5 speed stick on my SE so I can push the RPMs on up there.

The 4 cyn does fine, plus you can add an better air intake of high flow box filter for a little more kick.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
If it's for your wife..let her choose.
Because which ever one you pick, she will never let you forget that it was all your fault.:lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 3.3L isn't "brand" new. The MZ-series V6 has been around since 1994 or 1995 IIRC, as the 1MZ-FE 3.0L that everybody is familiar with. Its been the Toyota workhorse V6 for their front-drive cars for a decade now, used in everything from the Camry V6 to the Sienna minivan, to the RX300. The 3.3L is simply a bored out (not stroked) 3.0L 1MZ engine. It's still based on the same family of engine which is already a proven design. I think the sludge issues are very exaggerated, and were fixed from 2002 and onward anyways.

The AZ series 4-cylinders were actually released in the 2001 RAV-4 (1AZ-FE, 2.0L) and the 2001 Highlander (2AZ-FE, 2.4L). I'd consider these to be "brand spankin new" engines since it's an all-new design and engine family. The 2.4 isn't simply an enlarged 5S-FE 2.2L from the previous Camry and other cars (S-series engines) and called a "6S-FE".

I really wouldn't worry about newer designs when it comes to Toyota. They put so much R&D into their mechanicals that it's just crazy.

·
Zoom-Zoom
7,129 Posts
nokay said:
The 3.3L isn't "brand" new. The MZ-series V6 has been around since 1994 or 1995 IIRC, as the 1MZ-FE 3.0L that everybody is familiar with. Its been the Toyota workhorse V6 for their front-drive cars for a decade now, used in everything from the Camry V6 to the Sienna minivan, to the RX300. The 3.3L is simply a bored out (not stroked) 3.0L 1MZ engine. It's still based on the same family of engine which is already a proven design. I think the sludge issues are very exaggerated, and were fixed from 2002 and onward anyways.

like you said, it's not brand spanking new, but it is new...

there are a bunch of differences, such as you'll be fucked if you break a timing belt, where as the 1mz-fe is a non-interface design. Also drive by wire, or something, it's not JUST a stroked 1mz-fe...

especially since you gotta get to the 2mz-fe before you get to the 3mz...

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I've read (no idea if it's just internut BS or for real), the non-VVTi 1MZ's are non-intereference and the VVTi 1MZ's are interference. Since all the MZ series engines in the US have VVT-i, I'd say that both of the current 1MZ and 3MZ engines are both "interference" types. That's just maintenance related though. You should change the timing belt at the specified interval anyways. It's just a question of how much damage is caused if you neglect the car. ;) As long as you're going to do proper maintenance, I wouldn't even say int vs non-int engine designs come into play in at least my buying decisions. If you're younger and very cash strapped and won't be able to afford the timing belt change, then get the 4-cylinder. Maintenance costs are very much part of considering a car and something you should look at. And ETC systems can change the feel of an engine, but the original poster was asking more about whether its a mature design or not, and it is.

Here's the 2MZ: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=Toyota+2MZ

References point back to 1996 and it was a 2.5L, so it looks like it was out just a year after the 1MZ but never sold in the US market.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
nokay said:
From what I've read (no idea if it's just internut BS or for real), the non-VVTi 1MZ's are non-intereference and the VVTi 1MZ's are interference. Since all the MZ series engines in the US have VVT-i, I'd say that both of the current 1MZ and 3MZ engines are both "interference" types.
this is very misleading
my mechanic friend told me his friend has a gen 4 camry v6 1mz-fe, the timing belt slipping because the belt teeth stripped.
all he did was replace a new timing belt, and the engine starts right up.

and not all MZ engine are in US have VVTi, 1MZ-Fe engine was introduced back in 94, and 1MZ-FE VVTi engine was mounted in partial 03 camry v6 and on. but 1mz-fe vvti V6 started as early as 99 on lexus model and later avalon.

·
(_|_)
45 Posts
I dunno if this helps but i have a 96 avalon (1mz-fe) and it runs fine now. I only have problems with the evap vents (according to the engine code). It currently has 215,000 miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts