Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm about to buy a Highlander for my family. It'll be used 85% in town 15% highway. With unstable gas prices I don't want to go for V6. I'm just a liitle worried about 2.4 performance on the highway, I usually don't drive faster than 70-75MPH, I don't race, I don't tow. Can anyone tell me at what rpm 2.4 H'lander drives at 70MPH? is it closer to 2500 or 3500? I'm asking average, on more less flat road; is it noisy?
If you're not actual driver/owner of 2.4 H'lander please don't reply to this one
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
eric2flat said:
Hi, I'm about to buy a Highlander for my family. It'll be used 85% in town 15% highway. With unstable gas prices I don't want to go for V6. I'm just a liitle worried about 2.4 performance on the highway, I usually don't drive faster than 70-75MPH, I don't race, I don't tow. Can anyone tell me at what rpm 2.4 H'lander drives at 70MPH? is it closer to 2500 or 3500? I'm asking average, on more less flat road; is it noisy?
If you're not actual driver/owner of 2.4 H'lander please don't reply to this one
Thanks
Honestly I think u should go out and test drive one. Its the best way.....besides everyone has different expectations and standards.

I have this feeling that most people will be happy though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Long Island, NY and ...

the closest highway with speed limit of 65MPH is an hour away. The won't let me drive it 70MPH on 50MPH speed limits in Long Island.
Thanks

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
i know you said for non owners not to reply but i feel this is a useful piece of information.

the i4 is a 4 speed automatic.
You're RPM's should be around 2400 while traveling at 70MPH since the gear ratios should be similar to typical camry's

A little less powerful, a little more environmentally friendly and economical (definitely can run off of 87 octane), cheaper to maintain in the long run; the i4 will probably serve you well.

If you constantly have 4 people in the vehicle or cargo in the trunk i dont recommend the i4 as you will be putting much stress on it to get up to speed. Again the car is heavy and like all SUV's not the most aerodynamic.

My family's V6 5sp transmission HL goes around 2000 rpm going 70mph, and on a 450 mile trip with two people and about 100 pounds worth of cargo in the back and the A/C on traveling at a constant 80mph got an average of 25mpg on the highway. Outside temperature averaged 85 degrees.

Pretty damn good in my opinion. One tank of fuel on strictly conservative highway driving on the most optimum conditions could take you up to 400 miles per tank if you ran it till dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMSinMD said:
Better question would be, what type of real gas mileage are owners getting? We have an 06 V6 4WD and average around 300 miles to the tank. The HL is a heavy car, the 4 still has to work hard to get it going. The V6 seems slow to me, I can't imagine the I4. Just my opinion. Jon.
well I did some reading on edmunds forum, most people say HL is no more than 1mpg off the sticker, lots depends on driving habits though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HL is a way heavier that Camry

so I'm not sure if tranny is the same, hopefully we'll see some replies for actual 2.4 HL drivers

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
the MPG reading is about accurate. The NEW readings that will come out on 2008 cars will be right on the dollar.

he HL is not way heavier than the camry unless 2-300 pounds more is way heavier.

the i4 tranny is probably one made from toyota that drives the camry, but the v6 uses the Lexus RX330 transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RPM for 2.4 at 70

I have an 05 2.4 2wd and mine revs about 2800 rpm at 70, it is doing 3000 rpm at 74. I am not sure if the 4wd or later models are geared differently. I noticed that the highway mileage for later years is 28 mpg, versus 27 for the 05.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply; I guess 2800-3000rpm is not bad, I hardly ever drive faster than 75MPH. Do you feel comfortable driving HL 75MPH? I mean is it particularly noisy or vibrating?

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, the Highlander with the 2.4 is quite smooth at those speeds, and really not to loud. You get some engine and wind noise, but at those speeds that is to be expected. The Highlander actually is very nice on the highway, I normally just set the cruise on 78.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just to give some insights for a 02 V6 4wd limited. It does about 20-21 mpg on good days, most was prolly 22. Engine rpm at 80 mph is a tad over 3000. Weight is there but the 3.0 engine can haul the vehicle and with good acceleration. If you don't need the 4wd, don't get it. This is what actually kills the mileage of a perfectly good vehicle. If you need it, its worth it. Haven't ridden in snow but I've had a few encounters when I had to steer around object on the freeway. VSC beeps but all is well. Just my 2 cents.

kamrhee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lets see, my last three tanks. 22.4 21.2 and 22.1. These are city and I am a leadfoot. My wife got 24.7 22.6 23.3, Also city and she is not a leadfoot. My wife said she remembers a tank that was close to 27 on a straight highway trip. This is a new for me car, (we traded in my Element for an 07 CRV) but I am happy with the city mileage.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
kamrhee said:
Just to give some insights for a 02 V6 4wd limited. It does about 20-21 mpg on good days, most was prolly 22. Engine rpm at 80 mph is a tad over 3000. Weight is there but the 3.0 engine can haul the vehicle and with good acceleration. If you don't need the 4wd, don't get it. This is what actually kills the mileage of a perfectly good vehicle. If you need it, its worth it. Haven't ridden in snow but I've had a few encounters when I had to steer around object on the freeway. VSC beeps but all is well. Just my 2 cents.

kamrhee
trade that baby in for a new HL...you're going to get better performance and gas mileage with the better engine and transmission.

going 80 im like at 2700 rpm with the 3mz and 5sp

i hit the speed limiter at 115 and im only at like 3800 rpm...THERES SO MUCH MORE TO GO! hahah

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
chrhamil said:
Lets see, my last three tanks. 22.4 21.2 and 22.1. These are city and I am a leadfoot. My wife got 24.7 22.6 23.3, Also city and she is not a leadfoot. My wife said she remembers a tank that was close to 27 on a straight highway trip. This is a new for me car, (we traded in my Element for an 07 CRV) but I am happy with the city mileage.
the info you provide is very consistent with the differences between the i4 and v6.

our v6 got about 25 highway trip
and averages about 19-20 city average driving styles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nod,

Will keep this baby since its my first vehicle here. Besides, my wife likes it because it high and alot of bells and whistle. As for my next purchase, just waiting to see it the Camry SE V6 would add more options for the same price...:)

kamrhee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts