Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 1992 Crown Majesta 2JZ A-Grade
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Recently got a matrix and it idles rough. I did the usual tube up, vacuum leak check, throttle body clean, but sadly the answer is 119 psi # 1, just over 120 in # 2 and 3, and a healthy 145 in # 4 only.

I may have to put a motor in it - wondering if the 2.4 on an AWD model can be separated from the transmission and lifted out the top with a hoist?

the "book" likely has Toyota master techs and professional mechanicals dropping the cradle with the motor and trans on it and lifting the car off of it but I don't have that choice

I'm not overly disturbed by this just want to know what I am up against. If if seems to terrible I can auction the vehicle with a disclosure about its compression issue (I always go as far as to write very specific details on the window even pxxxc codes to preserve MY integrity in an environment that Typically lacks it clinically) and come out ok but I love this car and want to do the work

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,658 Posts
You'll need to disconnect the awd component first before attempting to lift it. The layout is more different due to the awd components.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
75aces what am I up against? Just the drive shaft?

vangm that made me laugh lol reminds me of building my 50 Chevy :)

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,658 Posts
The unit might not clear the firewall. Best to study the layout. Might need to remove it from the block or trans for the engine to clear.

At minimum, you'll need to disconnect the shaft from the front unit. Or may just have to drop the whole shaft. Then look at the block side location. Doubt it will clear the firewall.

IIRC, the snout is long. So you will need to unbolt it as it will hit the firewall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you done any sort of leak down test to see if the problem is in the bottom end? Maybe pulling the head and doing a valve job will get it going again? Maybe an in-chassis overhaul?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmm. I'll study it when I get the title! A week or two. Don't want to spend money on it til I do. I will report back!

I've never done a leak down...

Reactions: 75aces

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,658 Posts
hmmmm. I'll study it when I get the title! A week or two. Don't want to spend money on it til I do. I will report back!

I've never done a leak down...
A leak down test will determine the blowby during the compression stroke. It's typically associated with piston rings or valve seats.

Leak down is a wet compression check and shop air I think. There's videos on YouTube on how it's done.

Is your engine burning oil? Or it's still unknown to you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything is unknown. I am not worried about the cost, I will be reimbursed for the engine, so if it's the easiest route, I don't mind doing an engine. I read somewhere the 1.8 in this generation Corolla is like five hours… Of course this is a matrix, not a Corolla this is a 2.4 not 1.8 and this is all wheel drive.

I really, really like this car. I want to do it correctly, and see it bless somebody else for many many years when it's done

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Btw I appreciate all of you and your willingness to help :)

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,658 Posts
Btw I appreciate all of you and your willingness to help :)
That's why we're here.

Everything is unknown. I am not worried about the cost, I will be reimbursed for the engine, so if it's the easiest route, I don't mind doing an engine. I read somewhere the 1.8 in this generation Corolla is like five hours… Of course this is a matrix, not a Corolla this is a 2.4 not 1.8 and this is all wheel drive.

I really, really like this car. I want to do it correctly, and see it bless somebody else for many many years when it's done
The interwebs confuses the 2.4 and the 1.8 often. Oil burning issues were more the 2.4 than the 1.8. Where the 1.8 is concerned, they had more vvt issues. Rare for oil consumption issues.

That's good that you want to do it correctly. Do you have access to the factory service manual? If not, you can purchase a 2 day access for $20 and download the manual or just certain sections of the manual.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it's huge to me so thanks :)

Yes, I'm well aware of the very sad issue with the 2.4… I'm certain that it never would've been so bad if they were never run low… I've had a bunch of 1.8, no issues.

As for doing a whole motor before trying the fix this one is cause I would be terrified to stick someone with it if it doesn't work out. If it was ours to keep I'd do the valves and rings. I mean, if I can commit to 2,000 minimum miles and warrantee it, I'd consider it but for $2000 makes sense to throw in a low mileage motor and have it be a blessing to someone else. Torque wrench = perfection >_<

I wouldpay the $20 no problem but wonder if I need it? All I can think of is torque converter bolts being critical and hard to know. Not about the money at all, I just HATE reading. More of a writer ;-)

Reactions: 75aces

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,658 Posts
well it's huge to me so thanks :)

Yes, I'm well aware of the very sad issue with the 2.4… I'm certain that it never would've been so bad if they were never run low… I've had a bunch of 1.8, no issues.

As for doing a whole motor before trying the fix this one is cause I would be terrified to stick someone with it if it doesn't work out. If it was ours to keep I'd do the valves and rings. I mean, if I can commit to 2,000 minimum miles and warrantee it, I'd consider it but for $2000 makes sense to throw in a low mileage motor and have it be a blessing to someone else. Torque wrench = perfection >_<

I wouldpay the $20 no problem but wonder if I need it? All I can think of is torque converter bolts being critical and hard to know. Not about the money at all, I just HATE reading. More of a writer ;-)
It's pictures. 🤣

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PERFECT lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
You seem to have a very good attitude about it all. Back when I had my Fiero, I had to rebuild the engine in it. I had access to a lift, so I raised the body up off of the engine/trans. I had the engine on a stand and the car back outside in less than 3 hours by myself. I watched two guys fight with another Fiero for over 4 hours trying to get the engine out through the top. Same shop, same access to a lift. I told them how I did mine and they essentially told me to pound sand, that their way was much faster than lifting the body off the cradle. I think they eventually got it, after a lot of fighting, cussing and broken stuff. If you end up pulling the entire engine out, I would find a way to lift the body. I think Norm dropped the engine and trans with the cradle onto wood blocks and then lifted the body up over them. His Camry restoration thread has details I believe. Great read there.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that! The attitude is the result of the bigger picture… In the grand scheme of things, We have been extremely blessed in out endeavors. Got to take the bad with the good.

I wonder if there is a practical way for me to get the body over the engine and transmission in the garage without a lift? Might sound psychotic, but I might be able to use 4 x 4 posts on both sides of the car to support the rafter directly above it, and use a chain to lift the front of the car by the frame horns? I also may be able to use an engine hoist to lift the front of the car, but it's legs will probably be right where I want the engine to lay... I guess I've got a look at it. With the intake manifold an exhaust manifold off, alternator removed, and steering pump/AC compressor tied to the body of the car with wire, perhaps the bad boy will pop right out?

Seems humility would've save those guys with that other Fiero some time LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts