Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had the truck for 2 full tanks and am noticing a measly 10-12 mpg....:confused:does that sound right to anyone??
290,000 mi...ouch I know. 33x12.5's 3 inch body as far as I know thats it... I have had the truck for only 2 weeks maybe. Any ideas on wether or not this is "normal" or what is going on here?????
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry forgot it has the 3vze V6, atleast as far as I can tell....

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
sounds like within 'normal' expectations--- depending on driveing style and location--
The 33's will cut you @ 3-4mpg on a tired engine w/300K miles !!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speaking of tired.....Being my first "Yota", are there manufacturers of "crate" 3vze's?
I haven't even tried searching yet...Just looking for ideas...(not that the boss, aka wife, has said it is ok yet....:rolleyes:

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
If it's auto tranny & stock gearing, I'm not surprised. You really need to regear if you intend to keep those tires. Auto trans on a 3veezee sucks hind tit.

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
there are 'crate' engines , rebuilt, and new engines available--
but it all depends on what you want to do with the truck---
if you are going for mileage==33's-4mpg,,,,,,,4"lift-1mpg,,,,,,,,tail gate up-2mpg
50# tire pressure+2mpg,,,,,,50/55mph+4mpg,,, regular gas+2mpg,,,,
if you want to instantly gain 8 to 10 mpg----------- fill a drinking glass TO THE BRIM, set on the DASH------ now, drive and don't spill it !!!!

BUT, if you are goin 4X'in,,, that is a horse of a different color !!

(my '92 4x gets the SAME gas mileage flat towing my '85, as my '74- 1 ton chevy w/small block 400 w/ cab-over camper , flat towing the 85 !!!!!!!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys...my truck is a manual tranny. I understand that with this mileage and tire setup this is probably expected. But you bring up a valid point, I didn't buy this thing for 40 mpg road driving I bought it to play.Any websites of TRUSTED motor guys? either to send out for a rebuild or crate. I am trying to decide if it is cost/time effective for me or someone else to do it. BUT there is a certain amount of pride that comes with turning your own wrenches.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Xaotic 89 said:
thanks guys...my truck is a manual tranny. I understand that with this mileage and tire setup this is probably expected. But you bring up a valid point, I didn't buy this thing for 40 mpg road driving I bought it to play.Any websites of TRUSTED motor guys? either to send out for a rebuild or crate. I am trying to decide if it is cost/time effective for me or someone else to do it. BUT there is a certain amount of pride that comes with turning your own wrenches.
www.engnbldr.com

great reputation, quality stuff.

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
I will defer to someone closer to you for engine info----- i have always done my own- thats what i do--
17 years as a mech in a toy dealership kinda does that to you !! (even tho, it takes me a LOT longer to wrench on my own junk !!!!) I took 3 weeks to rebuild the engine on the '92-- but there was no rush, i had the '85 to drive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only on days that end in that end in "Y"...
Seriously though she puts up with ALOT from me and my 2 boys. But when it comes down to it, it's 3 against 1, the guys WIN...:eek:hyeah:

·
A legend in his own mind.
232 Posts
Krusty said:
there are 'crate' engines , rebuilt, and new engines available--
but it all depends on what you want to do with the truck---
if you are going for mileage==33's-4mpg,,,,,,,4"lift-1mpg,,,,,,,,tail gate up-2mpg
50# tire pressure+2mpg,,,,,,50/55mph+4mpg,,, regular gas+2mpg,,,,
if you want to instantly gain 8 to 10 mpg----------- fill a drinking glass TO THE BRIM, set on the DASH------ now, drive and don't spill it !!!!

BUT, if you are goin 4X'in,,, that is a horse of a different color !!

(my '92 4x gets the SAME gas mileage flat towing my '85, as my '74- 1 ton chevy w/small block 400 w/ cab-over camper , flat towing the 85 !!!!!!!)
Actually the tailgate up doest cause you to lose mpg it actually helps it makes a cushion of circulating air in your bed that the air over your cab goes over, with the tail gate down the air over the cab comes straight down on the bed and creates drag, so dont drive a trip with your tailgate down

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
While I would not expect to see significantly more mileage than you are getting you may see an improvement from a clean air filter.

If you have an exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor air will enter the exhaust stream lowering the output voltage from the O2 sensor causing the ECM to incorrectly add more fuel. A tired O2 sensor can have a similar effect.

Stuck open thermostat will result in a richer fuel mixture correction. As will problems on the temp sensor circuit.

Ignition misfires will obviously hurt the mileage.

These are easy things to check that can yield results.

One of the biggest factors is your foot. Driving habits will kill the mileage worse thatn most mechanical problems. Keep in mind that everytime you have to hit your brakes you've wasted some fuel. So drive in a manner to cut back on your brake usage.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jakey_Jake said:
Actually the tailgate up doest cause you to lose mpg it actually helps it makes a cushion of circulating air in your bed that the air over your cab goes over, with the tail gate down the air over the cab comes straight down on the bed and creates drag, so dont drive a trip with your tailgate down
yeah man, dont you watch mythbusters?

·
232 Posts
Ya i have seen that episode but there is a professor who lives next door to my parents who told me a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys...I will be replaing the o2 sensor tommorow. I figure one small chabge at a time will be the best way to find the answers. Today when I filled up I ended up with 11mpg.woohoo....

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
I have drove trucks for almost 3 years on the interstate going to and from jobsites, and my personal experience is that a pickup with the tailgate up will get less mpg than one with the tailgate down. My old 95 s-10 4 cylinder 5spd got 26 with gate up and 29 with it down repeatedly. My 94 toy 4x4 with 31s 3 inch body gets 24mpg with the gate up @55-60mph. I am dropping the tailgate on monday because I finally cleaned out the bed. My dads 86 gets 25 with gate up and 27 with gate down. Just my personal experiences here. Not discrediting or argueing with anybody.

·
232 Posts
No, its just your mind, in a V8 you r gonna lose about 20 miles per tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts