Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats goin on..2 part question maybe someone can answer for me..

i notice that on the 2010 corolla s the acceleration on my car seems a bit "slow" i dont feel that quick pull in comparison to a scion XD (other car of mine)..esp when i switch lanes quick..btw my car is AUTOMATIC :facepalm:

i was wondering what could i do to increase torque on my car..intake exhaust ext..im considering borla as my exhaust choice..got a few bucks back from my schools financial aid :lol:

intake im not too sure

also i noticed my car seems lower than other corolla s's out on the road..could..take a look at my car domain and tell me if you notice.. i will try to post a pic

advice is appreciated

·
Registered
354 Posts
idk if anyone else has done this,
but from shifting L23D once or twice, my gears last a lot longer in D. It helped mine pull a little better.

There's not much to really do for power on the Corolla. A member on here put it best when they said an intake mod was 90% for sound. An exhaust obviously helps, but im sure the manufacturers numbers are over exaggerated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being a small capacity, naturally aspirated engine, the only practicable way of substantially increasing torque is through forced induction (turbo / super charger). Won't be cheap though.

Intake and exhaust mods may yield minor gains but they won't snap your neck! In fact, inproper exhaust upgrades may actually rob you of power!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
one reason the XD feels different is that its much smaller and lighter
Indeed, the xD may be smaller and lighter, but I think the ECU might be set-up different between both of the cars. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the ECU)

The xD comes with: 128hp @ 6000rpm's and 125 (lb-ft) @ 4400 rpm's
The Corolla comes with: 132hp @ 6000rpm's and 128 (lb-ft) @ 4400 rpm's

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,785 Posts

i notice that on the 2010 corolla s the acceleration on my car seems a bit "slow" i dont feel that quick pull in comparison to a scion XD (other car of mine)..esp when i switch lanes quick..btw my car is AUTOMATIC :facepalm:

i was wondering what could i do to increase torque on my car..intake exhaust ext..im considering borla as my exhaust choice..got a few bucks back from my schools financial aid :lol:

intake im not too sure

also i noticed my car seems lower than other corolla s's out on the road..could..take a look at my car domain and tell me if you notice.. i will try to post a pic

advice is appreciated
The best thing you could have done was to buy a 5-speed, that auto tranny is killing you. :lol: I just installed the Pivot 3 Throttle Controller & that will give you much better throttle response. :thumbsup:

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
idk if anyone else has done this,
but from shifting L23D once or twice, my gears last a lot longer in D. It helped mine pull a little better.
Do it a few more times and you're looking at a new transmission replacement. :disappoin

Not good for the transmission at all.

There's not much to really do for power on the Corolla. A member on here put it best when they said an intake mod was 90% for sound. An exhaust obviously helps, but im sure the manufacturers numbers are over exaggerated.
+1

The exhaust essentially shifts the powerband upwards. You're making a little more high end power at the expense of some low end torque. Both of which the Corolla has very little of to begin with.

go ahead and spend some money on a pivot 3 drive throttle controller.
+1

And the automatic shift controller they sell as well.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
The best thing you could have done was to buy a 5-speed, that auto tranny is killing you. :lol: I just installed the Pivot 3 Throttle Controller & that will give you much better throttle response. :thumbsup:
x2 the auto is definitely hold us back. And I now want a Pivot 3 throttle controller now lol How much does it costs again?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,785 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

intake im not too sure

advice is appreciated
If you want a bit of extra torque when changing lanes or going up hills, then you can just switch to 3 gear. It helps a little. Never use 2 or L. But yeah don't switch to 3 too often though.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,785 Posts
If you want a bit of extra torque when changing lanes or going up hills, then you can just switch to 3 gear. It helps a little. Never use 2 or L. But yeah don't switch to 3 too often though.
I only have one automatic but I use 2nd gear all the time to control my speed going down the hill from my house vs. riding the brakes the whole way like others do. I've never had any issues with the transmission in 127k miles. :thumbsup: 3rd gear can be used at most all times as 4th is really an overdrive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts