Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a corolla and its rock solid besides a few factors. One being that when switching between the gears (going up, not down) it seems like theres a slight hesitation, as if its keeping it at higher RPM's for longer then needed then kicks once into the next gear. Now if I let off the gas a little bit at the right RPM that I think it should shift, it usually kicks into the next gear. So I was just wondering from those symptons what the problem might be and maybe any solutions. I havn't flushed out the transmisison fluid since I got the car, but a clean flush wouldn't take away the kick and late shifting, would it? The only other thing I can think of is the timing chain, again haven't messed with that since I got the car. BTW my car has 106,000 km on it.

The other question is if many of the 98 generation of corolla's had alot of cabin vibration or just overall vibration. It seems like the engine goes into overdrive and vibrates like crazy when I'm in drive but stopped. And also when I shift into park and reverse. But when I put it into nuetral it quiets up. Weird problem that I don't what a good solution would be. Maybe motor mounts? I checked all around the car when it was running and It wasn't anything obvious on the outside or see-able. Again, if yall could provide any help, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thank you for the help! I'll give the flush a shot and see if that helps any.

And what exactly are plug gaps? Your talking about the spark plug gaps right? I thought plugs today were usually pre-gapped?

Oh well, I'm a newbie with cars, so bear with me.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if you could advise on how to flush/drain my transmission fluid, that would be of much help. Just maybe what to look for, and what to do, or if you know an already pre-made guide, just send me over that way to check it so I can started on this problem.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
this is where i'd suggest getting a repair manual for your car. Haynes makes a decent one. it'll detail anything you want to know about doing repairs/maintenance work on the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
bluecressida said:
Also, if you could advise on how to flush/drain my transmission fluid, that would be of much help. Just maybe what to look for, and what to do, or if you know an already pre-made guide, just send me over that way to check it so I can started on this problem.
IF you don't know, take it to a garage, it's always your best bet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I find the repair manual that you were talking about? Internet or a nationwide store?

And I'm guessing when you say garage, you mean a mechanic or something? I don't have much knowledge with cars but another person I know (who is workin on the car with me) has MUCH more then me. I'm just trying to get details before hand, for some extra opinions.

Again, thanks for the quick replies :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
nationwide store...ANY automotive store will have them. you can order them online if you google search them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts