Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 TRD long box
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone rolling 20's... I had ordered some new 18 inch XD Monster wheels, but can get Pro Comp 20's or 17's for half the price...... and tires are about the same price.... Just wondering what the drawbacks or benifits if any would be of running such a big rim.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
The only draw back I would think is the small side wall to protect the rim from rocks while offroading, but if your truck is going to stay on the pavement and you aren't going to wheel it, then more power to ya!

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
i havent seen drawbacks since i installed my 20s i got a nice meaty tire too so no need to take it easy on potholes or curbs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC Sport
504 Posts
Stick with the 18" XD Monster wheels. Trust me, bigger rims = more gas.

What kind of lift are you putting on your truck?

·
Registered
2007 TRD long box
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
likely toytec 3" spring, spacer and add a leaf combo

raytinman do you have pics of your set up? what kind of lift did you add to clear your wheels?

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
here it is im running 275/55/20 tires that fit perfect no rubbing at all im also on stock suspension no lift. if going to add a lift you can def fit taller tires on them. Its all personal taste, if you like the bigger wheels go for it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm runnin 33" tires on 18" rims. I like it. Don't do any offroading tho. Here in Hawaii, a lot of guys are runnin 20X12 on their tacomas. I've heard no complaints.

·
meteor proof
520 Posts
i started out wanting 20s too when i first began looking into purchasing a tacoma. after doing a LOT of research i have come to the following conclusions...

20s are just too big unless you are putting a 6" lift on it. thats the only way you could fit a tire with enough meet on it to keep from scratching your rims when wheeling. even then i think 20s wouldnt look right.

18s are a step in the right direction, but i think after doing more research into tire sizes you will find there arent a large amount of options.

17s have waaaay more options when it comes to different tire sizes and brands, and are well proportioned with the rest of the truck.

...just my .02

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
i started out wanting 20s too when i first began looking into purchasing a tacoma. after doing a LOT of research i have come to the following conclusions...

20s are just too big unless you are putting a 6" lift on it. thats the only way you could fit a tire with enough meet on it to keep from scratching your rims when wheeling. even then i think 20s wouldnt look right.

18s are a step in the right direction, but i think after doing more research into tire sizes you will find there arent a large amount of options.

17s have waaaay more options when it comes to different tire sizes and brands, and are well proportioned with the rest of the truck.

...just my .02
+1 I think 20's look like crap without at least 37's on them. ^_^

·
Whatzup
2012 Tundra CM 4x4
20 Posts
no it is all stuck I had to take the front mud flaps off but that was it...no rubbing!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
of corse that it is just my opinion:rolleyes:
LoL! Okay Okay I retract! But those don't look like 20's to me! They look like 18's. Maybe I'm just used to the 'bigggggger' ones people are going with today! Looks sharp!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
cool cuz I was starting to think I had a crappy taste:eek::D...Thanks!
LOL! Sorry. I know the feeling! We all buy the things that look good to us but its not always the 'cool' look! I was depressed when I couldn't get the original wheels I wanted for my truck, so I had to settle for the ones I have now. I certainly didn't regret it, people look at the wheels I wanted, and the reaction was, 'WTF were you thinking?" haha

·
Registered
2007 TRD long box
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sticking with the XD Monsters 18x9 w 285 65 18 Nito terra Grapplers.... thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts