Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sequoia
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I have learned that my '01 Avalon may have a oil pan gasket leak. Not seeing any drips under or losing noticeable oil between oil changes, but smelling oil burning at times when I slow to a stop or shut the car off. The car has brand new dealer installed Toyota valve cover gaskets and they are dry as a bone, so that isn't it. One shop said it was 5 hours labor and would run me about $475.00 to replace it. Does this sound accurate? She also asked me if it was the lower or upper pan?? I didn't realize there was more than one. Any info/advice or links how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Google search has brought up very little.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
43 Posts
I did mine a couple months ago. There was a lot of cleaning but that's because I was meticulous. Cost in parts (including oil change) was probably around $100.
I'd get under the car and check the oil pan, feel around the edge where the pan meets the mating surface and check the 12 small bolts (the drain bolt too). If all this is dry then I don't see the point; it may be dripping from up above the pan giving the appearance of a leak at the pan gasket. You really need to isolate the leak so you're not fixing something that's isn't broken. An oil leak dye kit would be really helpful here, ask the shop to do that first so at least you are replacing the correct gasket/part. (y)

·
イリジウム
12,019 Posts
Edit: my mistake the engine oil pan has upper and lower parts. The RTV from the factory will age and start to leak.

Yes I’d reseal BOTH. The exhaust pipe will need to be dropped.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sequoia
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! A co-worker said for me to put a quart of Lucas stop leak in it and run until the wheels fall off. Not wanting to sink too much $ in a 20 year old car with 240,000 miles, also due a timing belt. Someone said I could also maybe try to tighten the pan bolts very slightly and that may take care of it for awhile. Apparently I not only had valve cover gaskets leaking when I bought it (which were replaced after I bought it), but also something else. I have almost $300.00 in just getting the valve cover gaskets replaced. The full-synthetic oil really did a number on my seals - that's when all of the leaking got worse. I have several other vehicles and my eye on a couple of others, so this one may be put on the market to someone else wanting to put a bit of time and or money into it. Many can work on vehicles themselves... I can't for a number of reasons. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts