Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GTJ's Avy
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any upgrades for front brakes? About every six months the pedal start to pulsate and sink further down. Not many miles involved. It feels like the rotors are warping. Thanks for any advice!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,622 Posts
How many miles do you have on the vehicle? What condition is the brake fluid? I would guess that the internal seals to yer master cylinder may be going bad. Probably could use a rebuild. ;)

·
GTJ's Avy
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah BamZipPow, Just went over 251,000 miles. About 6 mos. ago had new front pads installed, rotors cut, rear shoes adjusted and brake fluid flush.

·
イリジウム
11,875 Posts
Every 6 months! Something isn’t right.

You might have 2 different problems at the same time, an old master cylinder and maybe seizing caliper piston or anchor pins causing pulsation.

What brands of rotors and pads are you using? Ever applied petroleum based brake lube like Permatex green or purple to rubber parts?

I’d check out parts on rockauto. Centric rotors and Akebono ProAct pads.

·
GTJ's Avy
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe its still the original untouched master cylinder and calipers, not sure what brand rotors, they were replaced by a shop. So when approaching to a complete stop you can feel the unevenness of the rotor, if in fact are the rotors.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
IIRC, all gen3 4Runners suffer from this due to a design defect that results in the pads being held too close, heating everything up and warping rotors.

That's the fix, replace calipers+bracket and backing plates (?) with ones from a gen1 Sequoia or Tundra.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
215 Posts
No need for bracket or backing plate.

The Tundra calipers come in two sizes, both will fit but the larger ones require trimming the backing plate. The smaller ones are purely bolt on (and still bigger than the 4runner). They are 4.7", come from a 2000-2003 Tundra or Sequoia, and have casting number s13we. You also need the corresponding pads and rotors. I believe you need a 16" or larger wheel, but I can't remember for sure.

96931R Rotors

RC11039/RC11040 Loaded calipers

FRC11039/FRC11040 Calipers & pick your own pads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts