Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I was driving my 2000 4Runner and all the sudden 100 feet from my house the car shuts off and engine starts smoking. I immediately think I wasn't paying attention to engine temperature. I open the hood and turns out the battery bracket broke and my battery was short circuiting against battery bracket. I carefully pull it away and start the car and everything seemed ok. The next day I started it and noticed it has trouble starting. Also, all electrical is effected. Windows are slow, blower fan isn't as fast. Also, speedometer and temp guage move on their own if window or other electrical device is activated. After a while I noticed the car didn't seem to run as fast. Seemed a lot quieter. Next thing I know the engine starts to overheat. So, I replaced the battery thinking it may have an issue. So I replaced it and engine seems to run faster like usual and engine doesn't overheat. The electrical still seems to have issues. So, is the ECU fried, alternator fried? Or is it possibly something else? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Is charge light on? Usually shorting battery + will blow the high amp fuse link in the under hood fuse box and the alternator will not charge the system.
Low battery voltage will cause all kinds of problems like not running well.
Check all the fuses.
Check for codes.
Do not drive it if still overheating until you find and fix the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, the plot thickens. Things are more haywire than I thought. So ran the car and starts to "overheat". I become curious if it is accurate since when I turn on the fans or windows the temp changes. So I turn off the car and plug in my newly purchased OBD2 bluetooth reader. Voila! Car is running at 185 steady. I check voltage at battery and reading 14V. I look at voltage to the OBD2 reader on my phone and it says its 11.7. Still trying to figure that one out. So, I then notice the air is warm. So, I look at the compressor and clutch is not engaged. I think maybe it seized and causing the issues by slowing down the serpentine belt. I pop on my guages for A/C. Turn the A/C off and on again. Voila. It turns on and engages. Though reading were low. 10 on the low and 115 for the high. So, Im thinking that not working is coincidental and just needs refrigerant. I then wonder if OBD2 reader is correcting whatever issue I am having. So, I throw on the headlights, put A/C to full blast. I then press the brake and car shuts off. I can only assume the voltage dropped too low and engine shut off. I checked the main fuses and they all seem intact. At least the alternator fuse. Any other suggestions? What would cause the temp to normalize when OBD2 is plugged in, but freak out when its running on its own? Any help would be appreciated. Car electrical is not my strong suit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I got it figured out. When I checked cable connections I just looked at the connection point. I followed the ground behind the engine down about 1 foot and found it was completely burnt and disconnected from the chassis. I threw in a 0 guage ground from my trans am and runs like a dream. Thanks for all your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts