Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost me $130 for two keys, but they both worked, straight out of the box. No programing needed. A company called Key me has kiosks around the country. Machine does a 3D scan of the key, you pay them with a credit card, they mail you the keys. Ordered on Monday, got here Friday. Video explains it.

Thought this might help somebody.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My 2002 Avalon does not have the chip, so I made a key from homedepot for $1. I guess the 2000 model has a transponder.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
992 Posts
My 2002 Avalon does not have the chip, so I made a key from homedepot for $1. I guess the 2000 model has a transponder.
It's model (and possibly option) dependent. Our 01 and 03 XL models are plain-Jane -- $1 no-chip keys. Neither car has any security electronics or immobilizers... but I don't think there's a brisk trade in stolen Gen 2 Avalons, at least in our area...

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting! I "assume" I have a chip key, since I have a theft/security light on the dash. Is this correct?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not a good indicator, unless it lights up. Both of our no-chip-key XL models have the lens for the light, but no light ever glows.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen it blink. I discovered it has a car alarm the other day when I opened the trunk. My model is the XLS.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yep, you got the pricey keys.

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download one -- also gives you limited info about prior service done to your Avalon:
Toyota Owners site
Click on "Join now," enter VIN
My Vehicle: Car original specs and service history (dealer service done)
Parts & Services: Maintenance Schedule
Resources: Manuals and Recalls

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 03 XLS has the transponder key,Do you know if I can get one for it? I ordered an uncut transponder key for it but haven't got it cut or programmed yet, I was told it would run about 125$ to get it cut and programmed from my local locksmith and he couldn't guarantee the key would even work,its pay regardless of it works or not

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is how to program a transponder key. I bought one on Amazon for $8 but couldn't get anybody to cut it. I used the KeyMe kiosk and they sent me two keys that worked out of the box for $130.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is how to program a transponder key. I bought one on Amazon for $8 but couldn't get anybody to cut it. I used the KeyMe kiosk and they sent me two keys that worked out of the box for $130.
I bought 2 keys that say they'll work in my 2001 Avalon. It says they have the 4C chip in them. I got them cut in my local hardware store. I've tried those exact instructions. It says the light will flash for a minute as the final step. For me it never goes off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never used these instructions because I couldn't get anybody to cut my blank. That's why I went to the Keyme kiosk. I still have the blank, which was only $5. Cost me $130 for two keys, but they do work and I didn't have to program them.

I had a Navigator that had a chipped key, and I was able to program a key in it, but I had to try a couple of times before it worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts