Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is ready for an oil change (first since I bought the car) so I put some Seafoam in the crankcase. I read that this generation Avalon is subject to oil sludge if oil changes are neglected. I have no service records on the car, but it runs great. Anybody had oil sludge issues? Anybody use Seafoam in their crank and, if so, does it help? After 170 miles, the oil looks darker on the dipstick so it seems to be doing something. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used it on my son's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, which was high miles. The combo of products helped performance and got crud out. Project Farm does real world testing and doesn't take sponsors. Here are 2 of his videos about Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil:
and
. Some people, such as Youtube mechanic Scotty Kilmer don't like products like Sea Foam as there is a chance the sludge may settle in small spaces.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
It is ready for an oil change (first since I bought the car) so I put some Seafoam in the crankcase. I read that this generation Avalon is subject to oil sludge if oil changes are neglected. I have no service records on the car, but it runs great. Anybody had oil sludge issues? Anybody use Seafoam in their crank and, if so, does it help? After 170 miles, the oil looks darker on the dipstick so it seems to be doing something. Thanks.
If I were you I would do another oil change now. I don't think it is good to keep Seafoam in the crankcase that long.

Generally, I avoid all additives unless I know there is some problem. I believe I had the same V6 3.0 engine on my 1998 Camry as on your Avalon, and I used full synthetic 5W-30 for all oil changes (usually Mobil 1), and never had a problem (owned it for 11 years). There was no observable oil usage in-between oil changes at any time I owned it. Owners who failed to do regular oil changes got sludge. Missing some oil changes with synthetic might be OK, but not with conventional oil on this engine.

That being said, there is sometimes a concern (even if it only happens 10% - 15% of the time) when switching from conventional to synthetic motor oil on an older engine with lots of miles on it. If it were my car, I might start out with a synthetic blend motor oil and watch oil consumption very carefully.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used it on my son's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, which was high miles. The combo of products helped performance and got crud out. Project Farm does real world testing and doesn't take sponsors. Here are 2 of his videos about Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil:
and
. Some people, such as Youtube mechanic Scotty Kilmer don't like products like Sea Foam as there is a chance the sludge may settle in small spaces.
I saw those videos. Pretty impressive! I subscribed to his channel after I watched them.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were you I would do another oil change now. I don't think it is good to keep Seafoam in the crankcase that long.

Generally, I avoid all additives unless I know there is some problem. I believe I had the same V6 3.0 engine on my 1998 Camry as on your Avalon, and I used full synthetic 5W-30 for all oil changes (usually Mobil 1), and never had a problem (owned it for 11 years). There was no observable oil usage in-between oil changes at any time I owned it. Owners who failed to do regular oil changes got sludge. Missing some oil changes with synthetic might be OK, but not with conventional oil on this engine.

That being said, there is sometimes a concern (even if it only happens 10% - 15% of the time) when switching from conventional to synthetic motor oil on an older engine with lots of miles on it. If it were my car, I might start out with a synthetic blend motor oil and watch oil consumption very carefully.
Thanks! Oil change coming this week. Engine hasn't used any oil since I got the car, 1500 miles ago.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
37 Posts
I recently dropped the oil pan and put a new gasket in, cleaning everything was pretty light work. Not any sludge just some caramelized carbon on one side of the sump and the pickup tube screen had a bunch of plastic or pieces of hardened silicone from the last gasket job (I think). The oil was changed religiously in this car so I'm happy. But you can learn a lot just by dropping the pan; 10 bolts, 2 nuts and the drain plug...The best part is, no need to move any part of exhaust system to get to them. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos but I think you get the idea.
IMG_20191215_112058.jpg
IMG_20191215_113420.jpg

Now if you want to see sludge on a 2001 Avalon, watch this video...wow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts