Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here and hope to find the help I need. Working on a 2000 Camry 2.2 auto w/249,000 miles. Was running strong but then it shut off while driving and managed to start again and got it home.
Check scanner and found a CKP sensor code so I replaced with new and now it won't start . replaced new sensor with another new one, new plugs, new fuel filter and still . it will crank and fire for a second or two then off, if you give the pedal any touch it won't definitely start. Also when cranking it backfires from intake, last night I spray starter fluid in TB install intake pipe and try starting and it started for a second and gave a backfire so strong it blew up the resonator box on bottom of intake pipe, blew up to a 100 pieces, I don't know what's wrong

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
Backfires usually means camshaft timing is off your timing belt may have jumped a few cogs. You sure the plug wires are in the correct order?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't remove or do anything to timing belt when replacing crank sensor, I'll check to confirm timing is correct, I'm sure it is. Plug wires are correctly connected to coils (1,4,2,3). Could the evap system cause these issues? I did see some stored codes that were evap related, but were not active codes , cleared them and haven't got any codes to come back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feels like possible fuel pressure or related. I replaced fuel filter and looks like it was the original filter and it being 19 years old 249K , that filter looked nasty inside, I was trying to check if fuel pump was good or not because it starts and shuts off, most times after a sec or two

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still not able to get it to start and stay on, check the vsv and purge valves by connecting jumper wires and connecting to 12v and they clicked off and on.
could a bad charcoal canister be the issue? I removed it but not too sure what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
Yes, that is definitely a problem. Get that replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced it with one I got from junkyard, I reinstall everything and started right up, sounds and feels and drives good again. got new plugs, wires and fuel filter and ready for the road.
I had looked at the crank sprocket numerous times and never seen a missing tooth , but I'm glad I caught it before I gave up on the thing

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
Thx for coming back to report the fix. It helps us all learn, especially someone who finds this thread in a Google search.

Any idea how the tooth got broken off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts