Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned 2000 Camry 2.2l. Idles fine and runs strong at full power. Stumbles/surges while maintaining steady cruise speed or under normal acceleration from dead stop. Issue starts after car warms up. Cleaned fuel injectors, Tb, and IAC with no change. New air cleaner, spark plug wires are good and not shorting out anywhere. Plugs look fine. Car dies if I unplug MAP so it seems to be working fine. Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,353 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks with soapy water.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,540 Posts
As mentioned 2000 Camry 2.2l. Idles fine and runs strong at full power. Stumbles/surges while maintaining steady cruise speed or under normal acceleration from dead stop. Issue starts after car warms up. Cleaned fuel injectors, Tb, and IAC with no change. New air cleaner, spark plug wires are good and not shorting out anywhere. Plugs look fine. Car dies if I unplug MAP so it seems to be working fine. Any help appreciated.
I'd look into fuel starvation. So when engine is cold the ECU enriches the fuel ratio, same with acceleration. Idle sees no load so even a lean mixture might run OK.

Do a fuel pressure check with loaner from parts store. If you can monitor pressure when running that would be good. However usually when load is applied and the pressure is a problem then that's when you'll see problems - but still good to gat your base data. If you can get a scanner and log fuel trim that would also be good.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
407 Posts
I had this with my grey car. It was the air/fuel ratio sensor (oxygen sensor in normal speak). Not bad enough to pop a CEL, but a bit of a stumble nevertheless.
I know its kinda parts swapping, but consider what controls the cruise fuel/air ratio, and start with those components. That's how I arrived at the air/fuel sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this with my grey car. It was the air/fuel ratio sensor (oxygen sensor in normal speak). Not bad enough to pop a CEL, but a bit of a stumble nevertheless.
I know its kinda parts swapping, but consider what controls the cruise fuel/air ratio, and start with those components. That's how I arrived at the air/fuel sensor.
Was it the upstream or downstream sensor if you recall. My car is not popping a CEL either. Just has a slight stumble at a steady cruise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A/F is the upstream
Thanks for everyone's help. After ordering O2 Sensor for non Cali. Emissions I figured out the car I bought in Md on the east coast has California Emissions. So instead of $20 they want $100 for the O2 sensor for Cali. Emissions. Screw that. Quick trip to LKQ pick a part and sure enough found a couple Cali. Emissions cars. Replaced sensor with $10 used one and car runs great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts