Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5SFE Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 5S-FE from a 3rd gen Camry drop right into a 4th gen with no modification? I know they're both 5S-FE but I wasn't sure if the mounts or harnesses might differ. I'm thinking they might, as a 1995 wouldn't have OBD2.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
1,036 Posts
It can be done, I HAVE done it ('92 into a '99) , but it ain't drop-in.
You will have to swap the head, front cover and timing belt covers, depending on which way you're going. Blocks are identical, rods are too, but pistons, crank and balance shaft assy are different, though interchangeable as whole units. Yeah, I rebuilt the '92 to fit the '99, so I've been intimate with the both of them.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5SFE Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be done, I HAVE done it ('92 into a '99) , but it ain't drop-in.
You will have to swap the head, front cover and timing belt covers, depending on which way you're going. Blocks are identical, rods are too, but pistons, crank and balance shaft assy are different, though interchangeable as whole units. Yeah, I rebuilt the '92 to fit the '99, so I've been intimate with the both of them.
You weren't kidding when you said it's not a drop-in, lol. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You can get the older head to work, I've done it - need to file down the mounting position on the head for the cam sensor, drill and tap a hole for the mounting bolt, and drill a bolt for the locating pin. A little bit of fabrication work if you're up to it, easier than doing the head gasket if you ask me. But yea, everything else you need to use from the 2000 engine (valve cover, ignition stuff, timing cover, etc). Don't remember if you need to swap the oil pump (which has mounting for the crank sensor) or not, I think not though.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
1,036 Posts
You can get the older head to work, I've done it - need to file down the mounting position on the head for the cam sensor, drill and tap a hole for the mounting bolt, and drill a bolt for the locating pin. A little bit of fabrication work if you're up to it, easier than doing the head gasket if you ask me. But yea, everything else you need to use from the 2000 engine (valve cover, ignition stuff, timing cover, etc). Don't remember if you need to swap the oil pump (which has mounting for the crank sensor) or not, I think not though.
This works, IF the head HAS the mounting boss. The 1992 head did NOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts