Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car hasn't been able to start and as I turn the key, the CEL stays on which means it's throwing some sort of code. I do not have an OBD2 scanner. Is it possible to figure out the codes without the scanner?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Call some of your auto parts stores. Some Auto Zones loan (with a hefty deposit) scanners out. There may be others. I don't know if there is a way to decipher the code with flashes like the OBDI's.

Kep

·
Registered
937 Posts
There may or may not be a code stored. The check engine light should come on when you turn the key on. It will stay on until the engine starts up, thats normal. An OBDII scanner is the only way to get the codes out assuming there are any stored. You will need to do some further testing to find out why it wont start. It either doesn't have spark or fuel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There may or may not be a code stored. The check engine light should come on when you turn the key on. It will stay on until the engine starts up, thats normal. An OBDII scanner is the only way to get the codes out assuming there are any stored. You will need to do some further testing to find out why it wont start. It either doesn't have spark or fuel.
When you turn the key past ON as if you were starting the car the CEL should be off unless the car is throwing a code. At least this is what someone told me, whom is a toyota tech. i've reset the computer after leaving the battery off for a while as well and cranked the car again and the CEL light still stays illuminated.

The car did almost fire up but immediately shut back down. I think maybe one of the sensors might be bad. Not sure.

One thing for certain is I get spark, was shocked by all 4 wires (lol). I get air and I also get fuel. I know I'm getting fuel because I can smell it on the plugs. The timing should also be correct. I followed the TSM as well as Haynes. Retimed the car, literally 15 times. It has to be a sensor or something that is preventing it from starting.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
In my 95 the CEL stays on indefinately if the key is on and the motor isn't running. As soon as I crank the engine and it catches it goes off. This is a self test so you know the light is working each time that you start the engine. I don't believe that this tells you that there are or are not codes in the system. I would be very surprised if this has changed for the 2000 models.

The fact that you say that you are getting spark suggests that your engine is turning over. However, just because you are getting shocked doesn't mean that there is good spark. Have you seen a nice blue spark or is it orange?

Even if your timing were off the engine would probably start, just not run well.

It would sure be helpful if you could check for any stored codes. If it had some they could be deciphered. Even if it didn't have any, that would narrow down the possibilities.

Kep

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a friend come over with his new "350 dollar" scanner from autozone. It did not find any codes after trying to crank it several times. The spark is blue that I'm getting. I pulled the cams out again and put them back in today to ensure I did it correctly. I followed the Toyota service manual a friend printed for me. The cams are in there just fine. Cylinder 1 is at TDC and the camshaft pulley is lined up with the dot, not the notch. The car will not turn over. It sounds like it will turn over for a second and then not do that again unless I leave it for a while. One thing that happens when I turn the crank, with no plugs in and the timing belt off is the crank will be easy to turn and then at certain points stiffen up (not too hard but a little force required) a bit but still allow me to turn without . I doubt that has anything to do with it but just an observation.

I am going to, yet again, attempt to time it. I don't see what else could be wrong. Every sensor is plugged in. There is not one wire disconnected

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you didn't pull any codes I believe that means that the ECM is not interfering with the engine operation (some situations cause the ECM to keep the engine from starting as a self preservation attempt). Then (again, I "think") you're down to the basics air-fuel-spark. You might try spraying a little either into the air filter. Just about a 1/2 second squirt (too much and you can damage your engine). If the engine catches (I use "turn over to indicate the engine is spinning due to the starter and "catches" when the engine is running on its own) then you can focus on fuel related problems. If it doesn't catch then you tend to suspect electrical problems.

Luck,
Kep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts