Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my second 4th gen Camry. Third if you count the es300 I flipped last month. Picked this old girl up for 900 bucks. 202k on the clock with a heavy oil leak from behind the timing cover. And a check engine light. The timing belt was just replaced at 150k, so I’m not too worried about the water pump, but I did go ahead and order both oil pump seals and a new timing belt. It has a new radiator, new front brakes, and has been overall very well maintained. This is strictly going to be a fix up to sell project, as my daily right now is a gen 5 XLE V6. I love flipping the gen 4 Camry/es300 as its such a good platform, easy to work on, and they hold their value well. Check it out. More photos to come when I begin tearing into the repair process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I was able to get the car up on the lift at work today as it was a slow day. Took care of a few things. Went ahead and did a full transmission flush, serviced the front differential (the A140e uses a separate diff housing) lubed the front caliper slide pins, balance front tires, and confirm that my oil leak is coming from the oil pump seals. Also took the time to diagnose a p0401 code for insufficient EGR flow. Found that the VSV failed so I went ahead and ordered all my parts to get this thing road worthy for a total of $75 to repair all the issues with the car. I call that a win

·
Registered
63 Posts
How much do you usually flip these things for? I ask because I see a bunch of 4th gen Camrys near me that are sub $800 that look to be easily fixable. I mean, I paid $700 for mine and all it needed was a good cleaning and a A/F sensor.

Also, from someone who has flipped a couple of cars to another, don't neglect headlights. Clean them up and put a few layers of clear on them. Trust me, clean headlights sell cars faster, especially if you put a before and after pic in your listing.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much do you usually flip these things for? I ask because I see a bunch of 4th gen Camrys near me that are sub $800 that look to be easily fixable. I mean, I paid $700 for mine and all it needed was a good cleaning and a A/F sensor.

Also, from someone who has flipped a couple of cars to another, don't neglect headlights. Clean them up and put a few layers of clear on them. Trust me, clean headlights sell cars faster, especially if you put a before and after pic in your listing.
I got 1900 for the 97 Lexus es300 I flipped. 170k on the clock. Paint was beat and driver seat was ripped. But I put a new windshield in, new front brakes, and a flex pipe. Purchased for 800. Around 400 in repairs. So I pocketed 700 on that one. Last gen 4 I had I got 2800 for, but it was an exceptional example with lower mileage. I plan on putting this one up for 2200. And yeah I always hit the headlights with some polish. Here’s the Lexus I had right before it sold

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is making me want to start flipping Camrys haha. Don't think the wife would be happy if I started buying more cars though, what with me already owning 5.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is making me want to start flipping Camrys haha. Don't think the wife would be happy if I started buying more cars though, what with me already owning 5.
Haha. I usually only do one at a time. Once one sells I start looking for another. I do accords on occasion but most of the cheap accords I find need trans work which blows any profit out of the water. People love the camrys because of their legendary reliability. You see Hyundai’s and other GM products the same age and mileage going for 1500 tops in good condition where anything Toyota/honda/Lexus in good shape not needing any mechanical work upward of $2000

·
Registered
453 Posts
I thought about flipping cars, seems like it would be fun and could generate some cash. How often do you end up losing money on cars?

Also, if you don't mind me asking (don't feel the need to disclose if you don't want to), do you register and insure the cars prior to selling? It seems like the registration, taxes, and whatnot would eat away a lot of your profits :(

And, are potential buyers typically reluctant to buy from flippers or have you found that most people don't care in your experience?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im in maryland and I’ve owned and flipped many cars. Usually i don’t register or even get title in my name. Most people don’t care as long as you have receipts for parts and can show them the new stuff installed. Most people including myself just want a cheap reliable least amount of work needed vehicle to get on the road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive personally owned and tagged and insured 31 cars. Then on top of that ive then bought plenty more that i just fixed up and sold. Lost money on a few but mostly you have to keep track of spending. And if doing work yourself need to keep track of how much your times worth as well. All cars I’ve personally owned i fix/mod and drive for mostly 6 months to a year then move on.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about flipping cars, seems like it would be fun and could generate some cash. How often do you end up losing money on cars?

Also, if you don't mind me asking (don't feel the need to disclose if you don't want to), do you register and insure the cars prior to selling? It seems like the registration, taxes, and whatnot would eat away a lot of your profits :(

And, are potential buyers typically reluctant to buy from flippers or have you found that most people don't care in your experience?
I generally have the people I purchase the cars from sign the title over but not date it. And I leave the purchaser blank until I sell the car, that way I don’t have to worry about dealing with tax/tags. I lost money on the first Camry flip I had, but only because I fixed it to be to my standards because I was planning on keeping it and driving it for a while, but quickly found that the 5s though reliable, is an absolute dog. But I usually do make money on them. A lot of people are apprehensive about buying from a flipper, but I’m an ASE certified master technician by trade, so when I bring out my certifications they realize that they’re getting a car that has been gone over and repaired the correct way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I generally have the people I purchase the cars from sign the title over but not date it. And I leave the purchaser blank until I sell the car, that way I don’t have to worry about dealing with tax/tags. I lost money on the first Camry flip I had, but only because I fixed it to be to my standards because I was planning on keeping it and driving it for a while, but quickly found that the 5s though reliable, is an absolute dog. But I usually do make money on them. A lot of people are apprehensive about buying from a flipper, but I’m an ASE certified master technician by trade, so when I bring out my certifications they realize that they’re getting a car that has been gone over and repaired the correct way.

And the way you do it is exactly like you are. I do all my own work but i am not certified so therefore you def are better off then me. But im also very honest and do not lie. Because ive been screwed in past when i was younger and buying cars. So I believe in karma. Anyways enough distraction. On to more updates. Didnt mean to derail your post.

·
Registered
217 Posts

And the way you do it is exactly like you are. I do all my own work but i am not certified so therefore you def are better off then me. But im also very honest and do not lie. Because ive been screwed in past when i was younger and buying cars. So I believe in karma. Anyways enough distraction. On to more updates. Didnt mean to derail your post.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts

Makes sense. Helps a lot that you're ASE certified - I would probably be reluctant buying from some random backyard mechanic myself. What do you do for insurance though?

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

No derailment! I enjoy the conversation that’s why I post lol. I believe in karma too, and I always go the extra mile when preparing a car for sale. I go out of my way to make sure all fluids are fresh and make sure that the buyer will get a quality car. I do however sell them as is, never know what can break once the car is out of your Hands

·
Registered
217 Posts
No derailment! I enjoy the conversation that’s why I post lol. I believe in karma too, and I always go the extra mile when preparing a car for sale. I go out of my way to make sure all fluids are fresh and make sure that the buyer will get a quality car. I do however sell them as is, never know what can break once the car is out of your Hands

O completely agree. I always sign a bill of sale for me and the buyer to have with both signatures and all. And always is as is because i agree it could break on the way home. And i dont wana be responsible for that. My only exception is if ive owned the vehicle for years and know everything is tip top then ill usually let them have a little grace window of a few days. Ive only done that once and that was with my cummins i had with tons of mods. And the guy really just contacted me back asking advice and questions. He took for a test drive and it built its normal 45lbs of boost and then we did deal and he drove home. Next day i get text it wont build over ten pounds. I was like idk dude maybe boost leak but other then that i cant do much about it. That one vehicle i miss. All mechanical diesel.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Makes sense. Helps a lot that you're ASE certified - I would probably be reluctant buying from some random backyard mechanic myself. What do you do for insurance though?
I work for a dealership. Im the lead technician, and I’m pretty tight with upper management so when ever I need to transport the car, like from where I purchased it to the shop, and from the shop to home they’ll usually let me slap a dealer tag on the car which carries insurance

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ah, I see. That arrangement works out perfectly!

2007rolla, what do you do for insurance??

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don’t insure them most of time i either drive them home if there within 10-15 miles and have someone follow or i borrow buddies trailer and tow them home with my envoy. If i am just flipping i don’t mess with any of that. Only time i mess with tags and getting title in my name is if i plan on driving them for a while. Obviously if im getting tags i insure them but for flipping purposes i dont mess with all that. I would never make any money

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what I had originally thought was sticky caliper slide pins ended up being a seized left front caliper. Went ahead and took care of it today, along with cleaning and adjusting the rear drums. Brakes are all set now, just waiting on my timing belt and oil pump seals to really get cracking on this thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts