Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Camry LE. I had a window issue...the passenger window would not go up. Eventually found a broken wire in the harness of the drivers door. Fixed the wire, and a few more ready to break. All seemed to be broken at about the same point. Anyhow, repaired all the wires. Hooked up all the connections, windows all worked, BUT now none of the door locks open or close via the electronic switch on the armrests. When I try to actuate via the armrest switch, nothing happens, but I do hear a slight click going on in the rear of the fuse panel behind the little change door to the lower left of the steering column. All fuses test as good using a multimeter, and the door locks work via the keylock, by inserting the key. All locks worked prior to working on the window. I seem to be getting power to the fuse block (because of the click I hear in the rear of the fuse lock), when I activate the armrest switch. When I manually activate the toggle lock on the door handle inside, I also hear the click.
Fortunately, I can manually lock/unlock the doors with the key and manual interior lock, but it totally bugs me to not have the electronic lock work......
Anyone have and ideas? I don't think it's the wires......all looked good in the harness after the repair, and I didn't cut any....just fixed the broken window wire, and taped the ones that seemed bad........

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
I'm assuming that you took the inner skin off of the door to reach the window regulator and motor? Or did you repair wires on the control pad that is mounted into the door?

If you pulled the door skin off, look in the upper left side of the door behind the behind the attached door handle. Can you see if the linkages for the door lock mechanism are moving at all when you trigger the lock/unlock button?

There is a specific linkage that I believe needs to be pulled up in order to trigger the lock. If that is not moving, you may check to make sure that a clip or rod did not come undone. If it did, find the rod, and if a clip broke, you can get them at a parts store in a kit for about $5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I took the door skins off both of the front doors (remember, original issue was the passenger front window). I actually completely removed the wiring harness from the drivers side to repair it. This issue with the locks actually happened prior to fixing the harness, but I must iterate the locks did work prior to all this.
It appears all linkages work normally, as I can lock/unlock the doors manually and with the key (non-electronically). I did not remove the doorlock mechanism inside the door....frankly looks like a pain to get to. I can see all the rods in the doors, everything APPEARS to be hooked up and working, unless there is some screwy electronic lockout I am unaware of. As I said, I think we have continuity between the lock ans the fuse block, as there is a audible click in the back of the fuseblock when the electronic switch on the door is activated. Is there a relay integral to the fuse block? In looking back there, I see no relay, but the click definitely is coming from the block.
As an aside, there is NO movement in any of the rod mechanisms at all when the lock is electronically activated, so, I don't think anything is binding.
Maddening. I work on Mack trucks and can't figure this out.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
Is your car made in Japan, or made in Kentucky? There are two different wiring diagrams for the door locks.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
You are saying that the armrest master door lock ... driver side ... and also the armrest door lock control ... passenger side ... do not lock or unlock the door locks ... Is this correct?

Both of these door lock control switches meet at a junction connector labeled J6.

The J6 connector is located to the left of the steering column ... at the level of the coin tray. It looks like you would have to remove the appropriate finish panel to get to J6.

J6 looks like it has 24 pins, but the relevant door lock control pins are 3 light green wires, and also 3 dark green wires.

Can you locate the J6 connector and inspect it? Get some electrical contact cleaner and make sure there is good conductivity between the two plug parts. See if you have voltage on one half of the plug. The 3 light green wires should be a common voltage point, and the 3 green wires should be a common point. If you unplug J6, you should still see voltage on one end, where the green and light green wires are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car made in USA.

To DC_98_cam.....yes! neither armrest switch unlocks or locks the doors. As I said, when I activate the switches, the only thing that I happens is a soft click coming from the fuse block behind the coin tray. Can even feel it. I do see connectors on the same fuse block, but yea, need to take trim off to actually get to them. Being that the click does occur when either armrest switch is activated, I am inclined to believe all wires are intact. I did see many green wires when I went thru the harness.....am totally curious what that click might be....it may have been there prior to the door locks not working, I might not have realized it. Could it be a safety that is messed up? Like when you try to lock the car with the ignition off and the keys still in the ignition?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
Do your power windows work like usual?
Check your door courtesy switches.
When you open the doors, do the courtesy lights come on?

If both your door courtesy switches seem to be working, then you are going to have to do some more investigation.
By that, I mean checking voltage at different points in the wiring. ... Voltage at the master door lock ... Voltage at the J6 connector.

Door courtesy switches sometimes stop working properly ... stay closed when they shouldn't. Dust, humidity ... spilled drinks.
They are built into the door lock circuitry, so you have to be sure that they are working properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts