Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the first time I take my car to a oil change place it leaks oil now. Question guys, I already looked at it once, cleaned the oil pan up, and made sure the bolt was tight and it is still leaving drops. I am going to look again tonight to see what is going on but does the Camry LE 2.2L have a washer around the bolt to help seal it? I had all the seals replaced 3k miles ago and none have been leaking so I know its not that. It seems all around the bolt.

I picked some up already at Toyota but I recall my last oil change I did it didn't have one and never leaked. Any ideas?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oil pan bolts always seem to have washers. I replaced the one on my 98 Camry and it was the "metal with rubber insert" type. You can get them at any auto parts store, usually right next to the filters.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I have had 2 different 5SFE 4 cylinder Camrys; one was a 94 (still own that one) and one was a 98 (totaled in an accident). Both of those engines had a fiber type washer around the bolt. If you are going to replace the washer I would get the correct one directly from a Toyota dealership. They only cost a couple of dollars and that's worth the peace of mind IMHO.

Also, remember the positioning of the oil filter on the 5SFE engines. I could be the oil dripped out of the old filter when it was removed and the technician didn't do a good job of cleaning that spilled oil off. That spilled oil drips down the front of the engine and across the pan toward the back. If that's the case, the spilled oil could appear to be coming from the bolt when it is actually coming from the drips from the old oil filter. I would clean everything up with brake clean and then inspect where the oil is actually coming from. You may not have a leak at all.

Last, take the car back to whoever did the oil change. Let them deal with this since it wasn't leaking when you brought it in to them.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I jacked the car up tonight again, 2nd time, and cleaned the pan. I cleaned the last time too. I decided to try a trick and it worked. I used my shop vac to create a vacuum from the oil cap, and I was able to remove the oil drain bolt without any oil coming out and put on one of the blue washers from Toyota. The dealer gave me 6 for free. I was happy. I also made sure all the bolts around the pan for both the tranny and oil were tight. Found a few loose ones. Hopefully that will resolve it!

Reactions: JohnGD

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
Good improvisation! Yeah often these quick lube places suck. It's better to change the oil yourself and do it right.

But I think sooner or later you'll have to reseal the pans.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,633 Posts
I took my Cressida to Jiffy Lube years ago for an oil change, and the next day I noticed a huge puddle of oil under the car. Took it back and they didn't put the washer on the drain bolt either. "oh this is a Cressida, whoops our bad". Idiots.

It was the very last time I ever took any car to Jiffy Lube or any of those types of places. Straight to the Toyota dealer and would you believe they're a few bucks cheaper?

·
Registered
384 Posts
1. Was the valve cover’s air space the trick that allowed the vacuum to hold the oil w/o any coming out?
2. In 01 a fiber washer was given free with oil filters, since it has turn blue, metal coated with rubber.
3. My fear of Lube Shops has been stripping the plug or not removing the filter’s seal/film.
4. What is your yr/mi? My recent leak that I thought was my oil pan was my valve cover dist plug.
5. Since your leak started with the oil change, hopefully it’s not the V/C plug which was an experience.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Was the valve cover’s air space the trick that allowed the vacuum to hold the oil w/o any coming out?
2. In 01 a fiber washer was given free with oil filters, since it has turn blue, metal coated with rubber.
3. My fear of Lube Shops has been stripping the plug or not removing the filter’s seal/film.
4. What is your yr/mi? My recent leak that I thought was my oil pan was my valve cover dist plug.
5. Since your leak started with the oil change, hopefully it’s not the V/C plug which was an experience.

1) Not sure, it just worked. Only a little got sucked into the very tip of the vacuum.

The car has all new seals. None are leaking. I drove it yesterday some, and checked it today, no more leaks. The gasket seemed to fix the issue!

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.