Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2000 Camry a couple weeks ago. Today I went into the trunk, searching for a lost item and noticed a few inches of water in the left hand well. Was not there before it rained a few days ago.

Rather than spend a lot of time out in the cold poking about, thought I'd ask here if this is a common issue and/or what the most likely problem and cure is. The trunk seal looks good, at casual glance.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Picked up a 2000 Camry a couple weeks ago. Today I went into the trunk, searching for a lost item and noticed a few inches of water in the left hand well. Was not there before it rained a few days ago.

Rather than spend a lot of time out in the cold poking about, thought I'd ask here if this is a common issue and/or what the most likely problem and cure is. The trunk seal looks good, at casual glance.
Check the rubber seal on the driver side trunk near the rear windshield for rubbing. The trunk latch cable likes to get loose and sometimes prevent the seal from closing all the way down if the cable gets jammed between the seal and the trunk lid.

Other places to check are the spaces around the tail light. If not, one of the seams in the panels for the rear trunk (behind bumper) might be letting water in.

Reactions: O_loung1

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
dry it all out, totally. put a garden hose on the area and let the water run a while. open it up and look close at where it is wet / water entry point may be easier to see.

dont assume a trunk seal, could be something else. poorly installed tail lamp? stuff like that.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The trunk release cable and wiring harness are strapped to the left trunk hinge-- see if they have damaged the gasket. That and the taillight have been mentioned. I had one taillight with a cracked housing that leaked into the bulb compartment and then into the trunk.
The gasoline filler assembly is another possibility.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does it have a sunroof? The sunroof on Toyotas have a drain pan that empties through a tube that exits to the ground in the trunk. If that tube gets pulled out in the trunk the water fills up the well like you have experienced. I had it happen on a 1990 Camry. I had a 1999 Camry like your 2000 but I can't remember which well the tube exited to the ground.

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is a subtle, rubber foreskin seal around the periphery of the trunk LID receiver, featuring a black rubbery, narrow CHANNEL which usually routes water to a place where it goes off:

That completely non-obvious black rubber fold channel around the trunk lid receiver has become FOULED with pollen, gunkola, smegma and road grime; that blocks rainwater that wants to run arouuuuuund, down and onto the road, innocently. The backup from the channel blockage now loves pooling in the bottom of your trunk, making it moldy & stinky:

1. Open trunk
2. Observe black liner channel foreskin thingy adorning trunk lid receiver on rear body of car
3. Get clean wet cloth
4. Pull back foreskin on that yucky baby, tuck in wet cloth
5. Apply wiping pressure allllllll around that yucky periphery. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again.
6. Now, after ~3 min of wiping, it's sorta clean
7. Spray some silicone on another clean cloth
8. Do same thing as in step 5. Do it again. Do it again.

Now it's fine and rain will get in there and gravity will pull it down that New Panama Canal, and it will go away. Like a new car, after you un-stinkified the trunk with Lysol.

Had ZACTLY the same thing happen to me.

Hey, that process has already sorta begun around your DOORS, too, I'll bet.

Do same same there.

I had freakin LAKE SUPERIOR in there maybe 3 times before I put my thinking cap on, and fixed it. Like 7 liters of rainwater sloshing around silenty, down there, for a month..? Under my spare.

Fix price: 0$

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Gets me pointed in the right direction.

Of course, my wise decision to delay messing with it because it was cold out (and was on another mission) seems to have backfired. Did not expect the temp to drop below freezing. Now it looks like it will stay that way for a few days.

No messing with it includes not getting the water out. Ahh, life in the northeast. . . .

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Also if you are removing the weather seal on the trunk lip, grab from the solid base part and pull out and NOT the soft spongy part if you are removing it clean it. I've done it where I rip it a few times....yea I learn the hard way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, FWIW - finally fixed.

Turns out, in the driver side rear quarter, behind the panel covering the tail light assembly, there is a flap vent. Seems the seal was not good enough. Popped it out, a bit of RTV and back in. That was last night. Been raining all day and the well is as dry as can be.

Wonderful, eh? Yep I thought so too.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
Update, FWIW - finally fixed.

Turns out, in the driver side rear quarter, behind the panel covering the tail light assembly, there is a flap vent. Seems the seal was not good enough. Popped it out, a bit of RTV and back in. That was last night. Been raining all day and the well is as dry as can be.

Wonderful, eh? Yep I thought so too.
Thank you for replying back with the fix!

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,901 Posts
No messing with it includes not getting the water out. Ahh, life in the northeast. . . .
FYI: There are two rubber grommets in the bottom of the spare wheel well. Remove them to drain the water, that's what they're meant for.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI: There are two rubber grommets in the bottom of the spare wheel well. Remove them to drain the water, that's what they're meant for.
Hard to get through the ice to get to them. Once it got above freezing again, it was no problem.

Oh, yeah the water in the spare well was probably due to the cable along the hinge that had some undone and crawled over the lid seal. I thought that was the whole problem until water showed up in the driver side well again, so I never mentioned it.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,375 Posts
This thread is not complete w/o a picture!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.