Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Celica GTS 1.8l
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!! My buddy has a 00 Celica GTS. The story I got was he was in the hospital for a month. While he was in there his roommate and from the way I gather one other person was driving it the whole time he was in the hospital.

When he got out his car no longer ran. Nobody ever told him what happened other than I've already bought the parts needed to fix it and I'll get it fixed. Well after a couple of months nothing had been done so he called me. I get there and the parts they bought were timing chain tensioner, oil pan gasket, oil and filter. Oh they did already have it apart. So I clean and installed the oil pan then I was trying to install the new tensioner with no luck I finally put the old and new tensioner side by side and the new one was like 1/32" bigger than the old one. So I put the old one back in. Put the valve cover back on out on the new oil filter and filled with oil.

He starts the car and there's quite a loud line ping or knock coming from somewhere in side the motor on the timing chain side. I did quieten down some after a minute or two running. But it was still rather loud. A used my stethoscope and and it sounds like it's coming from around the area of rocker arms.

My question to y'all is has anyone else experienced this before and if so what did it end up being. Any suggestions at all are welcome and wanted.

Thank y'all for taking the time to read my posts and all y'all have a great day!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry this happened to your friend.

If you crank the engine with the timing chain tensioner removed, the chain will be loose and likely jump teeth.

The knocks and banging noises are likely caused by cam shafts driven out of sequence, causing rocker arms to hit the valves stems.

You should get hold of your friends and ask them what they did to the engine, why they had to remove the chain tensioner, but they will likely lie to cover their asses.

Open up the valve cover and check for damages to cam shafts and rocker arms. I hope nothing has been broken or worn down too far.

Look for procedure to reinstall the timing chain, the chain tensioner, and potentially to adjust valves clearances. I have not done it but guys in this thread may have. I don't think the front timing cover has to be removed to reset the timing chain. If does it's a major job and a lot of work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts