Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just thought I'd share that my lil Echo just hit 300,000 miles friday.
No major problems out of the car. However, I just took it down the road to a mechanic because the a/c compressor finally gave up. The bearings were shot and it was making a constant roaring sound, so instead of waisting my saturday messing with it I just paid a shop to bypass the compressor until I get the money to replace it. good thing the cooler weather is here! But that compressor lasted for 10 years so I cant complain! Anyway, I thought I'd ask if any of you might know the best place to get a replacement compressor? Maybe a dealer with a good discount or something. Any suggestions??? I'm not in any hurry to get it done and am still weighing in on whether or not to spend the money to replace it given the cars age and mileage and all. She still purrs like a kitten though and I think she will be around for a lot longer so I probably will. I just am trying to find the best deal i guess. I had the compressor replaced in my wifes cavalier and it cost me about 600 bucks lol.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
Wow!! nice going. Does your car use/burn any oil? I would try ebay for a good used compressor, I have had luck finding good cheap used parts for my Ranger pickup there.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Congratulations on the high mileage milestone!

Does the odometer show numbers beyond 300,000?

I know the Matrix and Corolla digital odos stop at that value.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Congrats! That's awesome! These cars while not exciting in the least bit are tanks and very reliable. I think one reason is they are very basic so less stuff to go wrong. Besides that the 1MZ-FE 1.5ltr engine is a tanker. I'm amazed my ECHO starts right up considering I drive it hard from time to time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was never a great fan of Toyota until we bought our 05 hatchback with only 38000 kms on it. It is a great little car, lots of power on the highway, lots of fun to drive, awesome gas mileage, easy to service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on hitting 300,000. I have a 2000 Echo too and it's at 144,000. Like you, I've never had a major problem and I'm amazed that my a/c still gets cold. Only recently my dealership recommmended a fuel injector cleaning. I've always used Chevron, so not sure if it would be worth it. The car runs great, no pinging or anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats!!!...My buddy has a 00 and has 200K miles on it. The A/C also just went out but since we live in the Miami area it is going to have to be fixed very quickly as the A/C is needed every day of the year down here.

·
RAM-Driver
2000 Echo
160 Posts
I'm only at about 1/3 of that mileage on my 2000 Echo, but am equally impressed with the little "Econobox". I generally average 45-50 mi/gal on regular gas but recently put in nearly a full tank of premium, and according to my ScanGage I'm running @ over 70 mi/gal! Possibly a benefit of injector cleaning premium reputedly provides. Seinfeld that may be cheaper than getting the recommended injector cleaning your dealer suggested.

·
Registered
08 Yaris/01 Echo
219 Posts
according to my ScanGage I'm running @ over 70 mi/gal! Possibly a benefit of injector cleaning premium reputedly provides.

70 mpg? something aint calibrated right, try a tank full and figure out the mpg with pencil and paper to see if concurs with your scangauge..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! We resently swithed from an echo sedan to and corolla sedan. The echo was a great car had a class 1 hitch on it and pulled a 1000 lb trailer all over with no problems. They are a great car. Love how easy it was to get in and out of it and the headroom. Only switched as we got a bigger trailer. Hope you get many more miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, thanks for the reply's. The car is now at 302,600 miles. And to answer some of your questions. . . No the car does not burn a drop of oil. The car has been run on full synthetic oil since its purchase in 00. And yes the car has been driven ALOT! Mostly highway miles i guess. going back and forth from kentucky to chicago usually once a week and to pensilvania and such. currently im driving 100 miles a day to work in louisville. so about 500 miles a week. She's a great car. Basic but i love it. Without it i wouldnt be able to afford to drive to louisville to work. lol
Best of luck to all you other toyota owners. They will last forever with regular maintenance! No complaints here!!!

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
Congrats! That's awesome! These cars while not exciting in the least bit are tanks and very reliable. I think one reason is they are very basic so less stuff to go wrong. Besides that the 1MZ-FE 1.5ltr engine is a tanker. I'm amazed my ECHO starts right up considering I drive it hard from time to time.

*1NZ-FE 1.5 liter

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I'm only at about 1/3 of that mileage on my 2000 Echo, but am equally impressed with the little "Econobox". I generally average 45-50 mi/gal on regular gas but recently put in nearly a full tank of premium, and according to my ScanGage I'm running @ over 70 mi/gal! Possibly a benefit of injector cleaning premium reputedly provides. Seinfeld that may be cheaper than getting the recommended injector cleaning your dealer suggested.

Yeah like others said something isn't calibrated right. You might want to check your set up on the Scangauge. And as for the premium gas, I wouldn't waste your money, especially on this car. This car was design (at least this particular NA engine) for 87 octane. It won't hurt it, but it won't do much different. And if it did, it would be so minimal it wouldn't pay for itself. Obviously its your car and you can do what you want but just giving you a heads up to save money. Its optimum gas rating is what the manufacturer put it at, 87 octane.

As far as injector cleaners. Shop around, some are out right scams. Maybe all of them. Just becareful.

Best of luck!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Can you post a pic please lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have 200k on an 07 Yaris. the vvti code is on but I never had it looked at. I run Mobile 1 so no big problems but needs major tune up,timing belt, and check all sensors. I have had injectors done and runs better but still needs scope and adjustments.. the idle runs high when accessories are on because of voltage drop.... probably needs new alternator too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts