Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having no luck finding one of these. Toyota part # 45222-52010. Online dealership says they are showing on order at warehouse but not available and can not be reserved. Anyone here aware of any options I might not know about. For now I have a piece of rubber stuffed in where the bushing is supposed to be while I find a better alternative, either custom made or factory and factory would be a whole lot cheaper.

I know used is an option but my car has only 150k miles and is rust free southern car and I hate to pull the whole rack when I can install the bushing without that extra hassle.

Better options or pathways to success would be appreciated.

It is a manual rack and I want to keep it that way, no fluid, hoses, pump, or lines.

TIA
Old Mechanic

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Success

Found one in the UAE (United Arab Emirates) priced lower than US retail but shipping higher. I was not going to buy one but the $125 shipping charge dropped to just over 12 bucks (1/10th). Seller has an excellent rating, I hope they can get one here.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4552252010-Genuine-Toyota-BUSH-STEERING-RACK-45522-52010/182975783917?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20180124153937&meid=2d5fa6dc79134fd4a2e85ced5d85d0fe&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=3&sd=162886548620&itm=182975783917&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Got to love the internet :smile:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No apologies necessary but appreciated. I think I found the root problem, the reason it wore out. One of the rims is bent. After new tires were installed I still felt a vibration in the steering wheel, rotated the tires front to rear and it got a lot worse. I road tested it when I did the left side and it was better, right side made it a lot worse, so I put them back where they were originally. The rear axles provide a perfect "test bed" for checking run out in the wheel tire assemblies. I found the outer rim rolled up and straightened it out before I put that wheel on the front, which confirmed that wheel was the problem. Now I need to find a replacement steel wheel of the correct size and bolt pattern, that is not bent.

I would bet that the bent rim over time wiped out the bushing that supports the shaft of the rack and pinion on the right side. Hopefully this info might help someone but the Echoes, like the old soldier are fading away with time. My grand daughter is driving one now. When she was 9 she rode in one 10 years ago. It was the only car she ever rode in that had manual windows.

First tank of fuel came in at 48.8 mpg. The inner rack bushing, tires, and one rim seem to be all I need to fix on this car. It has only 148 k miles and a lot of life left is one of my relatives doesn't "confiscate" my baby LOL.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it, everything looks great and total was just over $18. Right now it's doing fine with my Jerry rigged piece of high density Ford body sheet metal shipping foam that I cut and jammed into the area where the bushing goes, just as you would expect when you have the right part to install. Maybe I'll see how long the makeshift part lasts, since it may be the only option in the future. In the meantime I'll make some precise dimension measurements, in case I decide to make one out of urethane as a backup.

I kind of torques me when a critical part is no longer available, probably due to the very small number of Echoes sold with manual steering.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
10k miles later.

Last fuel up was 1/2 a tank right at 6 gallons and 297 miles (one week), $15.14 at Costco here @ $2.499 per gallon, just over 5 cents a mile or 15k miles for $750 a year. I found two front seats from a Pontiac Vibe to upgrade mine, while the Echo seats will go in a 96 Tacoma I picked up, Finally got the window film off the back glass. Bought a new OE gas cap and cut off a half inch from the canister purge valve hoses (cracked originals) to try to kill an evap code that occasionally pops up.

Two oil changes, with no consumption between changes, I just fill it to the halfway mark on the dipstick and 7500 miles later it is still there. The rear speakers were pretty beat when I took the package tray out for the final cleaning of the window film at the bottom of the glass. Replacement speakers were crazy expensive so i just cleaned the debris and put them back in place, sound fine to my old ears. I had pulled the radio and soldered up all the connections to get rid of the occasional cutting off, that seems to be holding up just fine.

The Mini Cooper 7 hole rims and 185/60/15 Ecopias handle great and roll forever. I coasted a mile today, started at 65 MPH and was down to 35 after a mile. I might get some iridium plugs eventually.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14k miles since purchase, the Mirage ran over the winter and the Echo got a break (no tags or insurance sitting in the garage, covered by homeowners policy if house falls on car). Now it's back on the road for this spring-summer then back to the Mirage for winter again. In the last month I have done a few things which might be interesting for the information they provide.

Wheels balanced. Costco refused to balance them since they were on the Echo instead of in the Mirages trunk when they were first installed. My response, "refund me the tire lifetime balance $40, we compromised and they rebalanced but no more (won't need it in my experience)

I set the toe with a tape measure before but I wanted to confirm it was where it needed to be, 1/ 32nd in on the left side got it 1/16th total and right where it needs to be. Not even half a turn on the inner tie rod. This car handles amazing with the 15X5 inch wheels and 185/60/15 tires. Few can keep up with me through a cloverleaf and my engine is not even running LOL (EOC). Tires are 6% taller than originals so odometer readings are adjusted for mileage (1.06). Speedometer reads perfect which is nice.

I've had the tires and 12 pound Mini Cooper wheels on 3 different cars, they are where they will stay for now, but have developed a lot of tire noise due to cupping on the inner and outer edges of the tires, but the rolling resistance and mileage are great, so I fixed the noise.

Took my Makita belt sander and some fresh 36 grit paper and sanding at a 45 degree angle to the rolling direction of the tire I removed the raised portions of the outside treads on the outer and inner of all 4 tires. Dropped the noise levels about 80%, never did this before and I was surprised at how well it worked. 51 MPG average for the last tank of fuel, right at 5 cents a mile for gas. 19 years old this July with 162 k miles.

Replaced the front and rear shocks (loaded struts in the front tubes in back) $225 TOTAL AT ROCK AUTO. I was actually startled at how little difference it made in the ride quality. I probably could have just done all the rubber parts and left the shocks-struts alone. The rears still extend themselves which tells you the gas charge is still working. I DOUBT YOU WILL EVER BUY ANOTHER NEW CAR THAT LAST 19 YEARS AND 162K MILES ON THE ORIGINAL SHOCKS.

I had some motorcycle foam air filter oil and sprayed a very fine coat of that on all of the rubber surfaces, no more creaking and squeaking. Put the old ones on my 2001 4 dr Echo and that car is getting nice. Craig's List now charges $5 to post a for sale ad which has slashed their car ads by at least 80%, the frauds are gone, but they still try to get you to do something dumb like take their "bank" check LOL. I tell them cash it and meet me at my bank to have your cash checked to make sure it is real and we have a deal, never happens.

Replaced the transmission fluid, it didn't look that bad, clutch still seems fine, might even be original, Shifted better.

Rear brakes replaced. Wouldn't pass inspection, no symptoms. The rear brakes were the only thing that HAD to be done, the rest is upgrading AND that provides parts for the car I'm selling to recover the cost of the new parts.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
21k miles (169k odometer), another oil change, a set of struts and shocks, rock auto special with a rebate and loaded struts on the front. I think I pushed a little over 8k miles on this oil change, now the Echo gets a rest this winter while I drive the Mirage which has 45,607 miles. Marked the oil change mileage on the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1, with a new filter this time for the Mirage. I'll drop and fill the oil with the second half of the 5 quart jug in another 7500 miles (about 2 years from now). then at 60,607 a new jug and filter, so 5 quarts and one Mobil 1 filter will last 15k miles. Oil level was slightly lower this time but easily still in the safe range.
The Mirage got the oil and filter this time. The Echo just got fresh oil. My insurance expires the 13th of October and I will transfer the policy and tags at that time and give the old gal a rest this winter. The engine runs quieter on the fresh oil, tires are holding up fairly well but require some shaving when they get noisy.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I drove 3.9 miles (total) to eat at Wendy's. The car never reached thermostat opening temperature at 183 degrees F.
Started it up and it was reading 53MPG average (well calibrated less than 1/4 % off). Got to the top of the driveway (10 feet vertical climb) turned left, 200 feet later I turned right, rolled through the stupid stop sign and got her in 5th with the fast idle just keeping her at 22 MPH. .2 mile later turned right on route 143 west and pulsed toward the traffic light .7 mile away. Got to 54 MPH and shut the engine off and started coasting to the light..4 mile later, bump started and turned right on the cloverleaf to go over to route 60 east, coasted half way up the on ramp, climbing, then pulsed again, over the top of the overpass, and let her coast down the off ramp and on to 143, timed 3 lights in the next .3 mile, coasted through the flashing yellow left turn lane and then coasted all the way to a parking spot at Wendy's. In that whole 1.95 miles the engine only ran for about 40 seconds, the rest of the time was coasting. Got back and the MPG reading was 52.9MPG. I lost .1MPG average on a tank that has already gone 180 miles (still reads 3/4). It took one 5 second bump start pulse to get the last mile home and the temp gauge was reading 165 (thermostat is fine). If I drive normally it will reach operating temperature in 2 miles. That's how you average 50+ MPG (last tank) in a 19 year old car, from a cold start and a very short drive there and back.
In all this I never drove slow, actually hit 9 over for a very short time in the initial long coast to the overpass from 143 to 60.Never slowed another car down, in fact they could not keep up with me going into the overpass.
You can only do that with a manual transmission 75% of the time the car was coasting and using no fuel.
Why do I do that? To prove a point.
Any human activity in a car can be automated. That's 52 MPG in a car that's current EPA average is 38. If I can do that, the car could be designed to do that automatically.
Three more days and the Echo sleeps in the garage for 6 months and the Mirage can do even better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts