Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Here is my dilemma. I was about to pull the trigger on this extremely well taken care of 2000 LE Camry, Automatic, 3 owners,New Tires, CD/MP3 player, Clean Car Fax, Interior-10, Paint- 7.5, Engine/Tranny - 9...timing belt service done about a month ago.
A/C - 10, Suspension -9 , 126K miles, overall I rate the car about a 7.5-8 out of 10. Guy wanted $3500...we settled on $2800 OTD
Well, his title lady was a goner---so we put the deal off till tomorrow. This car is 45 minutes away. An 86 year old Codger who is a Wholesaler, is trying to hard close me!:whistle:馃懘

Then this Super Sexy Stunning 1998 Avalon XL pops up on FB Marketplace...leather, CD, sunroof, alloys shows up---112K--- Excellent maintenance records, Super Clean CarFax, 2 Owners, Timing belt service done @ 82K!!!...I have yet to see it in person, inspect, or drive it. It is a 3 hr drive away.
Guy wants $2700 for it plus doc fee of $399, 8% tax...over $3300 OTD.
Which ever car I purchase needs to get my daughter & my wallet roughly 2 years MAX of minimum maintenance and financial burdens!
My common sense says the Camry:geek:--something else says Avalon!!馃挭

What say ye "Wise Men" of the Forum??
I need some good advice...I don't have 3 grand to throw away and I'm not financing anything.

Thanks,
Reggie

Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
Well, both are Toyota's but, assuming the car you have already seen (2000 Camry LE) has the 2.2 Liter (5S-FE) Engine then, I would go with this car for the economy in Gasoline expenses during ownership / operation. Additionally, doing a Timing Belt on the Inline 4 cylinder is much easier than the V6, believe me, I have done both and I can do the I4 in my sleep.

The other consideration is look into if the specific V-6 that the AVALON comes with is a NON-INTERFERENCE Engine or not. I Love my 1992 Camry XLE with the 5S-FE (2.2 Liter In-Line 4) because I don't worry about the timing belt life cycle and keep driving it until one morning it will not start because the Belt finally skips and does NOT damage the Engine because of it. Almost all GEN3 / GEN4 (5S-FE) Engines are NON-INTERFERENCE Engines, the AVALON with the V6, I don't know.

Now, if the 2000 Camry LE has the V6 it is now a decision of what you like best, AVALON or the CAMRY?

If you like ZOOM with additional Horse Power then, get the one with V-6, however, your (daughter / wife) has to like it, no matter if you find the AVALON Sexy! LOL!

Be careful with FACEBOOK Market!

HERE! RE: AVALON

short-throw dipstick
If it's a V6, either is a good choice because the differences are negligible save for the Avy has more space. I think the Camry looks better, but that's my opinion. So you should go based one 1) condition (get a PPI, damn it), and 2) price.

The V6 gets barely less fuel economy than the I4, and is honestly not that difficult to work on. It's worth it for the extra 62 HP. My I4 auto gets 23 combined (50/50) and is perfect. My V6 manual is in rough shape (EGR doesn't work, misfiring on two cylinders due to injectors and worn plugs) and manages 21 combined. I'm dealing with the issues right now, so it will probably beat the I4 when it's in good shape.

Daughter? Student?
I'd buy early 2000 or very late 90s TownCar or, at the last choice, Grand Marquis. Or, my ever favorite LeSabre. All three are on the list of the most reliable cars, 4.6 L V8 does average 22mpg/25 HWY, Buick does 32 HWY and they all drive better than any Toyota of that age. And you can find them for much less, especially if you go private party.
Also, I wouldn't buy anything that had 3 owners. Nope.

Daughter? Student?
I'd buy early 2000 or very late 90s TownCar or, at the last choice, Grand Marquis. Or, my ever favorite LeSabre. All three are on the list of the most reliable cars, 4.6 L V8 does average 22mpg/25 HWY, Buick does 32 HWY and they all drive better than any Toyota of that age. And you can find them for much less, especially if you go private party.
Also, I wouldn't buy anything that had 3 owners. Nope.

Yes, agreed! The more metal around a young mind is perhaps the best thing.

My oldest daughter started with a 2001 Pontiac GrandPrix SE with the 3.1 Liter V-6 and got 30-MPG on the Highway but, horrible in the City with Stop N Go traffic (~ 23 MPG). GM gave me a very bad experience as it was the one of Millions that required a new Upper Intake Gasket right when it hit 80,000 miles so, no more GM stuff in my family!

I still stand on my original statement about V-6 versus I-4 in terms of Gasoline mileage. If you are going to do lots of Highway then the V-6 will have it's advantages over the I-4 in terms of Pickup and Passing. However, if the vehicle will be driven most entirely City and very little Highway your best bet is the I-4 banger.

My Brother's 1995 Camry SE COUPE V-6 gets 27 MPG Hwy / 21 MPG City and 25 MPG Combined. My old 1992 Camry with the 5S-FE (2.2 Liter) Auto gets an astonishing 29-MPG Hwy/ 24 City and 26 combined with over 532,000+ miles using the factory Fuel injectors and same valves, springs etc. This is completely Cap & Rotor Technology without CAM / CRANK Sensors as everything is contained in the distributor!

Of course Gas Mileage really depends on the Driver and habits on driving.

Ones I refer to were driven by gramps. Always taken to dealer, always maintained well. Sold for pennies now still running great. With a bit of search, you can find all kinds of luxury from those times - and nothing really drives like 17 ft long whale. Mine sits SIX. Easy. And I am 6'4'' and it takes 2.5 of me into the trunk easy.
But yes, they do not like city driving for sure. Get them open road - whoo hoo, they fly and barely sip on gas.

Ones I refer to were driven by gramps. Always taken to dealer, always maintained well. Sold for pennies now still running great. With a bit of search, you can find all kinds of luxury from those times - and nothing really drives like 17 ft long whale. Mine sits SIX. Easy. And I am 6'4'' and it takes 2.5 of me into the trunk easy.
But yes, they do not like city driving for sure. Get them open road - whoo hoo, they fly and barely sip on gas.
Oh, don't temp me! Look at this Beauty!

Oh, one 2nd thought these Town Cars have a Plastic Intake Manifold with Coolant Runners made of Plastic and they get brittle and leak!

Here's a Video showing you how to change a 2000 Town Car and they show the area where these Manifolds crack! Dang it! PLASTIC garbage from Factory! The Recall ended back in 2005!

We are totally steering this thread away, but yes, 4.6L has that plenum that cracks and causes engine trouble. That's how I landed with Merc GM with NEW engine from grandma (only 20K miles on it by now) who dropped new short block into a car that was then worth about $2K.
That Lincoln is beautiful. I am so pissed at myself. I could have gotten one for peanuts, military was relocating, but test driving, it made horrendous noise from the front in very tight turn. So I passed, just to find that my Merc also does that - and it's simple thick grease lubrication of stop plate fix. I could have had Town Car with less miles and all the blows for the year for like 1500.

Super Moderator
The V6 in that Avalon is the exact same as the V6 in these Camrys. And it鈥檚 non interference. It also shares a lot of drivetrain parts with the Camry, like axles, struts, control arms, etc. It鈥檚 sooo similar to the Camry in a lot of respects.

So if it checks out and you like it, buy it with no hesitation.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the feedback. I have strongly considered the Buick La Sabre for spme of the afore mentions, coupled with working in the retail Automotive sector for about 23 yrs. I love the suspension, ride, comfort, and the 3800 series engine!
I'm starting to lean towards lower miles 2003-2006 Generation 4cyl, with excellent books/records, preferably 1-owner.
Yet, I'm headed to Atlanta to look @ a 2001 Camry, 4 cyl, with original 54K!!--ultra clean CarFax, all books/records---totally immaculate!
My daughter is mid 20's, a better driver, marksman, and mechanic than myself, no need to wrap her in swaddling heavy sheet metal. She loves Toyota & so do I. Just rewarding her for some major accomplishments.
What I have to monitor myself on is overspending for a need that is only temporal, 55-60K miles MAX is what this "Toyota" needs to produce...;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Nuwwine4u
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing