Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
6,527 Posts
I skimmed through 2 pages... likely missed it..
at this mileage your spark plugs are due twice.
Timing belt is due twice.
Also, it is wise to replace water pump and tensioner/idler while timing belt is done, as "you are there" doing belt. It's several hundred more but lots of peace of mind.
As of driving children to mountains... go to junk yard, find j- yard tire shop. Buy cheapest wheels you can find that will fit. Install winter tires on. Simply swap rubber now to winter one when taking on those trips.
Oh, and by the way. Diff and T case fluids are due at 60K miles, so they are due severla times over, unless you used something like Amsoil, then you good for about 100K.

I'd drain and fill ATF every 20-30K miles. Those trannies are not the most durable ones. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I skimmed through 2 pages... likely missed it..
at this mileage your spark plugs are due twice.
Timing belt is due twice.
Also, it is wise to replace water pump and tensioner/idler while timing belt is done, as "you are there" doing belt. It's several hundred more but lots of peace of mind.
As of driving children to mountains... go to junk yard, find j- yard tire shop. Buy cheapest wheels you can find that will fit. Install winter tires on. Simply swap rubber now to winter one when taking on those trips.
Oh, and by the way. Diff and T case fluids are due at 60K miles, so they are due severla times over, unless you used something like Amsoil, then you good for about 100K.

I'd drain and fill ATF every 20-30K miles. Those trannies are not the most durable ones. Cheap insurance.
Hi

Thanks for the post.

i need to review the records again to see if the spark plugs were ever changed.

Timing belt was done once by the original owner (my friend) he had the dealer do it and he declined the water pump at the time. I recently had the belt replaced along with the water pump, tensioner as well as the two cam seals and the crank seal.

As for winter tires what do you recommend? Ones with studs? For my drive 85% of it will be without snow, its only the last bit where snow tires are needed. Is there a tire or tires that you recommend?

I had the diff and T case gear oil replaced two years ago.

I just dropped the tranny pan a couple of months ago and changed the filter. I refilled it with Toyota IV.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Murphysf, it's hard for me to trust cars with that kind of miles, the Sienna was a test for me personally, to answer the question of how long can I reasonably expect a car to last. I grew up in the era of 3k oil changes, worn out cars at 100k.

Maybe the best thing to do is pre plan the failure scenario, and have a backup plan for the vehicle TO FAIL. I've always found that when you plan on something going wrong, it does not go wrong. Now with your backup plan established you can enjoy the benefit of longevity and the cheaper costs of ownership of an older vehicle. Think of the guy with the Volvo pushing 3 million miles. I had a customer with 564k miles on his Nissan 84 200 sx, another with 350k on his 87 300zx and both kept on running.

Good luck happens to those who plan on bad luck, at least in my personal experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Murphysf, it's hard for me to trust cars with that kind of miles, the Sienna was a test for me personally, to answer the question of how long can I reasonably expect a car to last. I grew up in the era of 3k oil changes, worn out cars at 100k.

Maybe the best thing to do is pre plan the failure scenario, and have a backup plan for the vehicle TO FAIL. I've always found that when you plan on something going wrong, it does not go wrong. Now with your backup plan established you can enjoy the benefit of longevity and the cheaper costs of ownership of an older vehicle. Think of the guy with the Volvo pushing 3 million miles. I had a customer with 564k miles on his Nissan 84 200 sx, another with 350k on his 87 300zx and both kept on running.

Good luck happens to those who plan on bad luck, at least in my personal experience.
Thanks Old Mechanic - I guess time will tell.

·
Supercharzed Toyz Raczing
2 ea Mark 1 mr2's
291 Posts
It's an antique !!

I drive a 1988 toyota supercharged mr2 with 435,000 miles. If the murph is doing proper maintenance and vehicle inspections, as was reported, i see no reason not to continue usage.

Having aaa plus 100 mile towing is wise, as is, knowing location of dealers and recommended mechanics on the way, if needed.

Your doing the right stuff. Enjoy life!!

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
407 Posts
"As for winter tires what do you recommend? Ones with studs? For my drive 85% of it will be without snow, its only the last bit where snow tires are needed. Is there a tire or tires that you recommend?"

Studded snow tires are very hard on pavement, so are not allowed, generally, in areas which don't get a lot of snow. Also, driving with them on dry pavement will wear the studs out.

There is a class of snow tires called studless, which means their rubber and tread block design is capable of coming very close to what studded tires can do. They are safe to drive in all conditions (in fact, some say they can be used as normal all season tires after they are about 1/2 worn down, after the special layer is worn off).

In snow, studless snow tires are frankly amazing. A set of 4 can make a normal front wheel drive car go and handle as good or better as a 4WD. However, they do need some loose snow to do their job, so for completely dry, glare ice, chains or steel studs would still do better.

A cheap set of steel rims with a set of studless snows are easy to swap on/off for trips into the mountains (get a good floor jack, some jack stands and it takes only 15~20 min to swap all 4).

By the way, make sure to put snows on all 4 wheels. Putting them only on the drive wheels means that you will be very unstable as the un-snowed wheels slide uncontrollably compared to the glued down snowed ones.

Norm

·
Registered
Toyotas.
228 Posts
Michelin Artic Alpin snow tires are what I use on my cars.
Go on Tire Rack . com and order tires and wheels for your car. Likely about $600.
You WILL be amazed at the traction available in snow, really.

Cosmo

21 - 27 of 27 Posts