Toyota Nation Forum banner

2000 Solara JBL specs/Interior lighting

12K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Kingdom934 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I've done my due diligence and searched as best I can not only here but all across the google machine, and can't find anything that quite answers two questions/issues I have.

1) I have the JBL premium system w/amp in my car. Just recently, the rear passenger side speaker blew (after 16 years, I suppose it didn't owe me much). I'm looking into a replacement, and beyond the dimensions of 6x9 I can't find a dang thing about not only these speakers, but about the system in general. As far as I can tell, the speakers might be 2 ohm resistance, but it seems that other speakers are 4 ohm, which doesn't make sense that all 6 speakers wouldn't be the same resistance. Also, I can't find how much power the speakers are rated for, how much power the factory amp puts out, or any of that, or factory part numbers for ANY of this stuff. Any help would be much, much appreciated.

2) Staying in the center dash, a little farther down, I'm having problems finding exactly how to replace the bulbs that back-light the HVAC dials and buttons, and also what kind of bulbs I need. I thought I saw something about #74 bulbs, but then this search turned up a conflict about 74 vs E74 with no real resolution. ALSO, I'm not sure if I need more than one type of bulb or more than one bulb, or if the problem is even the bulb at all, to be honest. The right side of the panel used to be dark w/the headlights on, but I hit a bump a few weeks back, and now the LEFT side is dark, and the right side popped back on. Not a clue. I circled what exactly I'm talking about in the below picture. And just as a note, the green lights to indicate the AC/air recycling/rear defogger DO work when I push the buttons... just the backlights aren't working.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Did you look at the speaker from the trunk? You can see the bottom of the speaker with the specs there. Keep in mind, there were 2 "generations" of JBL speakers in this gen Camry/Solara; I don't remember which one you have though, but the 00-01 Camry had the newer one.
You have to decide whether you want to replace it with the same one of go aftermarket. Which one is better is highly a matter of opinion - I prefer the OEM ones for the price/performance, some people are gonna swear that you must have aftermarket... you choice. The good thing is that your JBL 6x9 rear speaker is bolted in and can be easily replaced (non-jbl ones were molded and required spacer/template).
The "earlier" JBL speakers were 3 ohm, 20w, P/N 86160-AA060, branded "Harman-Motive" (parent company of JBL)
The later ones were 2ohm and I believe 30w, branded "JBL". I can get you the P/N if you need it. But, look at them from inside the trunk, you should be able to see what you've got.

Hope that helps...

#4 ·
Just crawled in the back and the model on the bottom is 86160-AA180, so does that mean I've got the "later" 2ohm, 30w ones?

Also, would I need to then find 2ohm speakers to replace those if I went aftermarket? And use 30w as a baseline for how much power the speaker can handle? These appear to have pretty good reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN2TGM/ ..... would they work?

Thanks for all the info and the help!!!

#7 ·
And as an addendum to the 2nd question, now it looks like more lights are out in my dash. Plus one of the cigarette lighter ports, the lower one, no longer puts out any power to my phone charger, and I don't think the ring around the one port (that does have power) is lighting up anymore. Here's a pic of my console in the dark w/headlights on:

#8 · (Edited)
For the speakers, you need to get speaker adapters regardless what speaker you go with. You CAN drill into the sheet metal, but would advise against it.

http://car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK007

For replacement speakers, the best like OE ones I would recommend is 2 ohm rated ones. JBL has some along with Infiniti. The stock JBL setup should be running 2 ohm speakers. I ran these JBL 6x9 2ohm speakers in my '04 using the stock factory amp w/ aftermarket head unit. I used the the Metra harness to integrate the factory JBL amp to the headunit.

The one I used for my 04 was 70-8113 but for the older models, it might be 70-8112. You will have to manually tap in the car's harness for the illumination line though.

For your dash climate controls, you can refer to this. The bulb in the AC button is probably out as well causing it to be like that.

http://www.camryforums.com/forum/di...-camry-gen-4-hvac-bulb-replacement-diy-38509/

This is how my setup is in my '98.

The backlight looks more 'yellow' than white, but it is warm white ish.

#9 ·
Kingdom, thanks so much for all that info! By any chance, did you see the speakers from Amazon I linked to up above? Any idea if those would work with my system?

Also, when you say this:

You will have to manually tap in the car's harness for the illumination line though.
What exactly would the illumination line do? Like dimming with the headlights?

I'm liking the swap to white lights more and more, the more I see it. Very tempted to go that route rather than try to keep the green!

#13 ·
Here are some pictures on how the rear deck looked on my 98. Might be similar for the Solara.

You can see in one of the pictures the hole that came with the adapter is too far out. I had to drill another hole.

Also for your setup, to remove the rear deck you have to push in those white clips holding the rear deck panel to the sheet metal...along with removing some fasteners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.